Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Features I like but didn't understand, at first, about my CRV:

1. When you turn on the windshield wipers, the rear wiper comes on as well, for about three wipes, and then shuts off.
2. When you are travelling below 25 MPH or even if you are stopped at an intersection, you can set the adaptive cruise/low speed follow--it will set itself to 25 mph. When traffic permits, you will get up to 25 (or if you are stopped, simply press resume). Note--I'm sure most won't use this feature, but I use adaptive cruise all the time.
4. If you hold down "res/+" for long than a moment or two, the cruise set point increases 5 MPH at a time.
3. If you park you car in your garage, you can leave the keys in it. This is convenient as the car doesn't lock and you can simply store the keys there. When you start driving again you have a built in reminder to take the keys, since upon exiting you won't hear the car locking itself.
4. The compartment by the middle elbow rest in the front seat is well designed. It conveniently hides small valuables when closed and allows easy access to them when open. I use this for sunglasses and my wallet.
5. Lane Keep Assist. It really comes in handy when removing a coat or looking for something.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Automatically opening all the windows and moon roof with the key fob (press unlock one and then press and hold the unlock button again). This is great for cooling off the interior in the summer.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Automatically opening all the windows and moon roof with the key fob (press unlock one and then press and hold the unlock button again). This is great for cooling off the interior in the summer.
Or you could use the remote start feature to cool down the car.

·
Registered
281 Posts
be careful with number 3.
The Honda dealer told us when you store the fob within starting distance, it puts a drain on the fob's battery and severely shortens its life. Don't know if its true or not

Features I like but didn't understand, at first, about my CRV:

1. When you turn on the windshield wipers, the rear wiper comes on as well, for about three wipes, and then shuts off.
2. When you are travelling below 25 MPH or even if you are stopped at an intersection, you can set the adaptive cruise/low speed follow--it will set itself to 25 mph. When traffic permits, you will get up to 25 (or if you are stopped, simply press resume). Note--I'm sure most won't use this feature, but I use adaptive cruise all the time.
4. If you hold down "res/+" for long than a moment or two, the cruise set point increases 5 MPH at a time.
3. If you park you car in your garage, you can leave the keys in it. This is convenient as the car doesn't lock and you can simply store the keys there. When you start driving again you have a built in reminder to take the keys, since upon exiting you won't hear the car locking itself.
4. The compartment by the middle elbow rest in the front seat is well designed. It conveniently hides small valuables when closed and allows easy access to them when open. I use this for sunglasses and my wallet.
5. Lane Keep Assist. It really comes in handy when removing a coat or looking for something.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Can anyone confirm that this shortens the battery life?

A negative feature of this model is that the vehicle locks itself and chimes when I walk away from it in my attached garage. I thought I found a good way around that.

·
Registered
862 Posts
So just go in and disable the walk away lock feature. I don't use it because if I have car in garage I have to make sure I have keys on me to get in again. Would rather use the easy touch lock/unlock on door handle.

A negative feature of this model is that the vehicle locks itself and chimes when I walk away from it in my attached garage. I thought I found a good way around that.

·
Registered
11 Posts
In my old neighborhood there was a break in. The keys were in both of their cars. Thieves drove off with both cars. How hard is it to take your fob with you?

·
Registered
42 Posts

This is part of an article written by Jim Gorzelany that was recently in our local paper, I have no idea if it's true or not but it seems plausible.

“Batteries are not getting adequately charged when driving,” Weber explains. “Infotainment systems and other power hogs are the culprit along with key-off drains.” The latter, he says, most often occur with vehicles that come equipped with proximity key systems that allow an owner to unlock and start the car while keeping the key fob in his or her pocket or purse. They can be a great convenience, but can also drain a car battery’s charge at an accelerated rate when the activating key fob is kept within close proximity, or is left inside of, a vehicle. Under such circumstances, the transmitter and receiver continue to communicate (“ping”) with the host vehicle; ironically, this will tend to more quickly deplete the car’s battery than the tiny one that’s inside the key fob.

·
Registered
231 Posts
In my old neighborhood there was a break in. The keys were in both of their cars. Thieves drove off with both cars. How hard is it to take your fob with you?
Yes after much study and consideration of this issue I have come to the conclusion that it is very easy to steal the car if you leave the key fob in it. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thanks for that. Yes very nice, I found out some but didn't realize 1 and 4. 2 is absolutely great in stop and go traffic.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This is part of an article written by Jim Gorzelany that was recently in our local paper, I have no idea if it's true or not but it seems plausible.

“Batteries are not getting adequately charged when driving,” Weber explains. “Infotainment systems and other power hogs are the culprit along with key-off drains.” The latter, he says, most often occur with vehicles that come equipped with proximity key systems that allow an owner to unlock and start the car while keeping the key fob in his or her pocket or purse. They can be a great convenience, but can also drain a car battery’s charge at an accelerated rate when the activating key fob is kept within close proximity, or is left inside of, a vehicle. Under such circumstances, the transmitter and receiver continue to communicate (“ping”) with the host vehicle; ironically, this will tend to more quickly deplete the car’s battery than the tiny one that’s inside the key fob.
Ugh. I guess I'll bring the keys in with me even though this has worked great for me. I'm tempted to disable this feature now--not sure.

·
Registered
11 Posts

I imagine the drain on the vehicle battery caused by the incredibly low-power radio waves used to communicate with the fob is borderline insignificant. I mean, my bluetooth headset lasts a week on standby and has a battery the size of pea inside.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The 8' lock feature can be turned on or off via settings using the touchscreen. I have my turned off for the reason you described; I don't want it locked inside my own garage. Additionally, I've had a keyless entry car previously, without the autolock feature; so I'm used to touching the handle to lock when I want it locked.

·
Registered
92 Posts
be careful with number 3.
Another reason to be careful with #3 is carbon monoxide poisoning. If your garage is attached the house, there is always a risk of accidentally leaving it on if the keys are left inside (since there will be no warning sound that the fob is being removed from the running car)...or accidentally having it start for some reason while unattended.

People have died from cars that were accidentally running in an attached garage.

I'm wondering if that is the reason the remote starter has a 2 cycle max as well.

·
Registered
2017 EX-L AWD
121 Posts
I imagine the drain on the vehicle battery caused by the incredibly low-power radio waves used to communicate with the fob is borderline insignificant. I mean, my bluetooth headset lasts a week on standby and has a battery the size of pea inside.
There may be more to this than just the radio power. The main computer may be at a higher power state expecting you to do something, like start the car, or walk away.

On my previous Honda (Acura) I installed a switch to kill the trunk light so I could leave the trunk open to let it dry out, for example. After 2 days of that, the battery wouldn't start the car. That's when I learned that the computer was waiting for me to do something, like close the trunk, before going to its lowest power mode. It makes me wonder if I dare leave the back gate open on the CR-V for an extended time even if I turn off the lights back there. Time for an experiment?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts