Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

We have a 2016 CRV with only 26,000 miles on it. It is driven around Los Angeles and generally well cared for. Recently, we've noticed a resonant knock or thud coming from the front right (passenger side, front) suspension and it's quite the mystery.

I've been working on my own cars for almost 20 years and I'm stumped. I'm throwing this out there in case anyone has had a similar problem and kows a fix.

• The sound is heard inside the car and comes from the front right of the vehicle. It sounds as if you were striking the coil spring with a rubber mallet.
  • It has force behind it, but, nothing is felt in the steering wheel or the brake pedal.
  • It is almost totally random in occurrence and seems to not respond / be triggered by road conditions. However, it regularly occurs when going down a steep hill (we live in a canyon) and turning left. When leaving our home, we wind down a couple of hundred feet and there is a sharp and steep left turn. The sounds occurs during the start of this turn 8 times out of 10.
  • There is no effect on steering or suspension performance.
  • We took the car to a local shop. They put it on the lift and found that some sway bar end link bolts were "finger tight". They tightened the bolts, test drove the car and didn't hear the noise. They didn't charge us. We heard the noise again on the ride home.
  • Two days later, I find a screw in the tire and notice that the tire pressure is quite low (though, the TPS system did not trigger). Had the tire plugged and the sound ceased! For a day. Then it came back. But, much less frequently.
  • I personally crawled under the car and everything looks normal. No cracked coil spring (my initial guess), no missing bolts or bent suspension parts, bushings look to be in good order, etc... Removed the strut mount cover and little could be ascertained, but, nothing looked drastically out of place.
I'm totally stumped. My new guess is that the shock portion of the strut is damaged. My girlfriend mentioned hitting a curb not too long ago, but, I've never known a curb to damage a strut. We have another appointment with a different mechanic next week.

Until then... any guesses?

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Simple things first.

1) Check the lug nuts and make sure they are properly torqued to 80lbs.

2) I have heard from my dealer that sometimes the coil spring will bind slightly in their seating and can pop a bit when the steering wheel is turned or the suspension is put under some turning stress, causing a noise something like you described. For that.. they recommend simply applying Honda specified lube to the contact points of the coil spring and it's rubber buffer points.

3) It is hard to tell from your description exactly what it might be, but it could simply be the brake pads moving (which is normal) though this usually happens initially when driving, usually at low speed while backing out of a parking space or garage and doing a hard turn to position to drive away, and once they settle.. no more sound until next time you drive. If this is it.. there is no actual problem and therefore nothing to fix (except maybe perhaps have a mechanic lube the normal points on the brakes that get routinely inspected and lubed).

4) One thing a mechanic can do though (but from your description this was already performed) is check and confirm that all the suspension links and connections are undamaged and properly torqued to factory spec. This will give you piece of mind that there is nothing wrong with the suspension components.

If you are able to create a set of conditions that can recreate it... that will help a mechanic have something to focus on. So... maybe try some low speed driving with fairly hard turns left and right in a safe location in a parking lots somewhere to see if you can consistently repeat the noise (even if at a lower level of popping sound). If not.. I think you are going to have difficulty with respect to getting a mechanic to find and fix whatever is causing the noise. In which case.. you may just need to wait until it does it persistently and consistently.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Appreciate the reply!

Will check the lug nuts this evening. I was so sure it was a coil spring issue and maybe it still is, but, seems unlikely. Will attempt what you suggested as well.

I don't think it's the brakes as the noise is heard while not braking and at various speeds.

And yes, we have an appointment for next weeks for a shop to go over the whole front end.

I've been asking around and have also been offered the following thoughts as well: mounting bushings on the power steering rack and strut bearings that could have become bound.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
(y)

Be sure and come back and tell us the final cause and solution. It may help another owner later on who has a similar issue. :)

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Appreciate the reply!

Will check the lug nuts this evening. I was so sure it was a coil spring issue and maybe it still is, but, seems unlikely. Will attempt what you suggested as well.

I don't think it's the brakes as the noise is heard while not braking and at various speeds.

And yes, we have an appointment for next weeks for a shop to go over the whole front end.

I've been asking around and have also been offered the following thoughts as well: mounting bushings on the power steering rack and strut bearings that could have become bound.
May not be applicable to your model, but our '07 had similar sounds for years and it turned out to be a front sway bar link bushing. In the'07 the link is quite long and hidden so difficult to see the bushings. Driving slow on a VERY rough street made it obvious though.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
May not be applicable to your model, but our '07 had similar sounds for years and it turned out to be a front sway bar link bushing. In the'07 the link is quite long and hidden so difficult to see the bushings. Driving slow on a VERY rough street made it obvious though.
This was one of my first thoughts along with the coil spring. But, the sway bar end link on the passenger side is pretty easy to see on the 2016 and all looks good.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This was one of my first thoughts along with the coil spring. But, the sway bar end link on the passenger side is pretty easy to see on the 2016 and all looks good.
Hi,
Has this issue been addressed?
As I have the same issue. It's been a headache already. Technician already tried test parts to eliminate the noise but it's still there. Any update on this? It would really help a lot.

Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
24 Posts
On my crv I heard a thud at only low speeds when going though parking lots that had uneven pavement and it was my front sway bar links were bad. You couldn't wiggle them/feel slop when they were on the car but as soon as I unbolted them from the car I could feel the play in them.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No, it hasn't yet been addressed. We've been driving it as it is since performance and safety do not seem to be affected. We won't let it go forever, but, time got away from us.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts