Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the forum so apologies if this has already been addressed before

2017 CRV Touring, bought from new, has around 20000kms on it. My wife has noticed some weird "movement" at around 90kph (60mph ish?) almost like the vehicle is being buffeted by wind or the road is uneven. I noticed it too the other day and we were on a nice clean road, driving dead straight and zero wind. It's a very subtle movement that you feel in your lower body rather than through the steering wheel....

Has anyone experienced similar issues? Wonder if it's an isolated problem or it's just a CRV thing (this is our first CRV, had Pilot's before this)

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
741 Posts
"Maybe you have mud in your tires." "How does one get mud in the tire?" "No, that's just a figure of speech, you probably have mud on the inside of your wheel." But seriously, there could be any number of reasons. Check tire wear, tire pressure, etc.

I believe there have been some complaints about the drive shaft being slightly out of balance but that shouldn't be something that happens over time, it would be something you would have noticed fairly soon after taking delivery.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Definitely agree with s2K Dude....First start with the tires. Eliminate improperly inflated tires, out-of-balance tires, unevenly worn tires.

If you eliminate tire problems, work your way up the suspension components.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
10,777 Posts
X3 on tires. What brand is your V fitted with?

Try decreasing the front inflation pressure by a PSI or two.

Rotate tires Front to Back and post back if this changes anything.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses, tires are Hankook, it's due a service and tire rotation so that may fix things, but to clarify it's not a true "wobble" but more of a gentle wallowing, like the car is being moved around by the wind or as if someone was bouncing around on the back seat!

I'll also go and do tire pressures, I've just been out to the car thinking if displayed the pressures, but I can't seem to find that in any of the displays (maybe getting confused with the Pilot again)

·
Registered
653 Posts
it's not a true "wobble" but more of a gentle wallowing, like the car is being moved around by the wind or as if someone was bouncing around on the back seat!
When I was purchasing my 2017 CRV, the first one I test drove rode really nice -- until it got up to highway speeds. It felt like the rear end had a slight wobble or "shimmy" in it. It gave the slight sensation of going over a speed bump at an angle. I suspect that one had overinflated tires. Drove another one the next day and it was smooth at high speed.

·
Super Moderator - How may I help?
3,671 Posts
When I was purchasing my 2017 CRV, the first one I test drove rode really nice -- until it got up to highway speeds. It felt like the rear end had a slight wobble or "shimmy" in it. It gave the slight sensation of going over a speed bump at an angle. I suspect that one had overinflated tires. Drove another one the next day and it was smooth at high speed.
This is a really good point, as it has been mentioned here often that CR-Vs have been delivered with way over inflated tires. Mine was.

·
Registered
653 Posts
This is a really good point, as it has been mentioned here often that CR-Vs have been delivered with way over inflated tires. Mine was.
I was told they are ALL transported with overinflated tires....the dealer is supposed to correct this when prepping the vehicle.

·
3,671 Posts
I was told they are ALL transported with overinflated tires....the dealer is supposed to correct this when prepping the vehicle.
Yep! Its is truly amazing how so many dealers apparently skip items during the PDI. (Pre Delivery Inspection) And I bet every box is checked on the check list! I bet the engine oil level isn't checked either!

·
Registered
741 Posts
Yep, I agree with the other posts. When we took delivery the tires measured between 38-40psi. Once I got the proper tire pressures set, the vehicle rode even better. Make sure you set the pressures per the label on the driver side door jam, I think it's 33psi front, 30psi rear.

However, once you confirm it's not tire pressure or badly worn tires, I'd have the alignment checked next. It's a new vehicle so your suspension should be good, although I've seen one other report on this forum about needing a front strut replaced under warranty.

·
Registered
988 Posts
With only 12k miles I wouldn't think the Hankooks would be wigging out yet but they are light weight crappy tires. Depending on how you rotate your tires there could be excess outer tire wear making it a bit more sensitive to driving conditions.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks all, I went and checked the tire pressures and all looked good (not over inflated either) so it's booked in for alignment and for them to check things over - I'll report back if they find anything

·
Registered
638 Posts
Since you have a Touring - it sounds like the LKAS is coming on trying to move you to the center of the lane - Turn it off and see if the problem goes away.

The LKAS feels like a gust of wind when it kicks in at higher speeds.

My 2 cents diagnostic - no charge.

LKAS - Lane Keeper Assist System

·
3,671 Posts
Since you have a Touring - it sounds like the LKAS is coming on trying to move you to the center of the lane - Turn it off and see if the problem goes away.

The LKAS feels like a gust of wind when it kicks in at higher speeds.

My 2 cents diagnostic - no charge.

LKAS - Lane Keeper Assist System
This is certainly a great thought. I believe that the LKAS needs to be manually turned on at each car start.

·
Registered
638 Posts
This is certainly a great thought. I believe that the LKAS needs to be manually turned on at each car start.
My CR-V does not have to be turned on each time - both the LKAS and ACC stay on between startups. The Lane flash is always on. The Lane Assist depends on the road markings - it is a pain in the neck at interstate merge lanes as it wants to center to the middle of those lanes if they do not have dashed lines. Most where I live do not so I have to correct steer at those points.

The only Honda sensing feature I like is the ACC - the hardly useful LKAS wobbles too much to be of use, the LKAS warning light is false so much that I ignore it now.

·
Registered
653 Posts
My CR-V does not have to be turned on each time - both the LKAS and ACC stay on between startups. The Lane flash is always on. The Lane Assist depends on the road markings - it is a pain in the neck at interstate merge lanes as it wants to center to the middle of those lanes if they do not have dashed lines. Most where I live do not so I have to correct steer at those points.

The only Honda sensing feature I like is the ACC - the hardly useful LKAS wobbles too much to be of use, the LKAS warning light is false so much that I ignore it now.
You could just turn off the LKAS - there's a button on the lower left side of the dash (near the switch for traction control) that will disable it.

·
Registered
237 Posts

From the 2017 Owner's Manual (pg. 489): "The LKAS is turned off every time you stop the engine, even if you turned it on the last time you drove the vehicle." You may be confusing the LKAS is ready to use versus activated.

·
3,671 Posts
From the 2017 Owner's Manual (pg. 489): "The LKAS is turned off every time you stop the engine, even if you turned it on the last time you drove the vehicle." You may be confusing the LKAS is ready to use versus activated.
This is correct! Thank you for clarifying further what I had posted.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts