Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently received an advisory notice from Honda that they are extending the warranty (7 years/100,000 miles) for the A/C Compressor Clutch on my 2010 V to "increase confidence in your vehicle"....great....what happens when it goes out in 7 years and 1 month? It sounds like A/C problems continue in the 3rd gen. Does anyone in "the know" know how common this is? I imagine it must be a high failure rate for Honda to offer the extension.

The way the letter reads it sounds like this is for all 2007-11 CRVs.

·
Registered
426 Posts
For 7.01 years, you can always ask your dealer to talk to Honda about a goodwill adjustment.

As for common, if you search around here, you'll see quite a few of them. There are various theories about the failure rate. The best one I've seen is they overheat due to the placement of the compressor. It gets very little airflow over it.

So far, my 2007 compressor is doing fine. I'm also waiting for it to die just past the cut off date.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I got the letter today too and frankly speaking, feels really bad. No wonder my 2011 V's A/C has never been cold (starting from day1 of ownership since new).. I think there is a design flaw here...It really takes a long time for the A/C to blow out cold air. Is it just me or is this normal on most V?? I already felt bad few days ago after my kid slam the door while the seat belt buckle head remain on the door trim (never had such thing happened to my other cars).. and now this. I'm slowly losing my confidenc with CRV and might consider to trade in for another car... :(

So, exactly how bad this A/C compressor clutch issue is?? What was the design flaw on the AC compressor clutch?? For those of you who are not familiar with AC compressor clutch, here is an article:

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_an_AC_compressor_clutch_and_what_does_it_do#

http://www.ehow.com/how-does_5022459_ac-compressor-clutch-work.html

·
Registered
1 Posts
I got my 2007 CRV with 25,000 miles on it 4/22/11. It was my friend's and she lost her battle to cancer and left me her vehicle. I brought it to the dealer immediately to get it checked out and get whatever needed to be done. I noticed a hum and when the dealer checked it out, they said it was coming from the A/C unit..... Fast forward to earlier this year after I received the 'warranty extension'. What the Honda dealer replaced was only the A/C clutch and coil. Guess what???? The hum is still there. I am going in to the dealer for an oil change next week and will talk to the service manager. I've tried to find out (on the web) what other parts are in the "A/C UNIT" and have not been successful.

The hum can get very loud at times and it is not all the time. I have a feeling that the whole unit has issues......

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,
Asking for help
Got CR-V as new in 2009 and now a month ago I notice some AC blackouts, then it was OK and last week AC died. The commpresor not switch on, it staying stopped. It rattle when start the engine. It is one year after the warranty (had 3y) now. Is the warranty extension for europe too? I have Honda UK mfg. What all needs to be replaced, only commpresor? I read that it needs more parts.
Thanks

·
Registered
89 Posts
Hi,
Asking for help
Got CR-V as new in 2009 and now a month ago I notice some AC blackouts, then it was OK and last week AC died. The commpresor not switch on, it staying stopped. It rattle when start the engine. It is one year after the warranty (had 3y) now. Is the warranty extension for europe too? I have Honda UK mfg. What all needs to be replaced, only commpresor? I read that it needs more parts.
Thanks
You need to check your owners manual and see who administers the warranty in your country. The first thing you need to do is take your CRV to an authorized Honda dealer and find out exactly what is wrong. Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Don't feel bad, I run a Fleet of vehicles and my Nissan Versa's and Altima's are 2009 and just out of warranty. Guess what, they are costing about $1,600 each to fix the A/C on just about all of them. 10 Nissan's in our Fleet.

I've seen the light long time ago about Honda reliability. Sure they ain't perfect, but they are damn good compared to most other car makers.

German cars are very reliable but cost a lot to maintain and parts are expensive, but would I love an AUDI SUV!

·
Registered
45 Posts
brought the v in for ac problems (similar symptoms as indicated in the extended warranty notice) dealer said it was the ac compressor relay, the ac works now.. , but its only been a half day, so i'll will need more time to explore if this is the real fix, i had explained that when the ac was not blowing cold air the compressor was not spinning, we'll see,, unfortunately if i would of did more reading i would of tried save myself 95 $ :(

2008 v 4wd lx 118000km

1 - 20 of 97 Posts