Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was under the impression that swapping rims on a 2011 EX would require re-programming of the TPMS system. I further assumed that I would get an alert of some type until the re-programming was done.

I put 4 used rims with snows on the V and there was no alert of any kind. I brought the loose rims to a tire shop in my Ody and had them mount the snows and balance them. They told me to bring the V in once they were on the vehicle and they would program the system.

We drove the V for at least a hundred miles and never got any type of alert. When I brought it in for programming this morning, the guys at the shop were surprised to hear that there had been no alert. Once they did the programming, I got a flashing low pressure light (as expected) which went away after a short drive.

I then called 2 Honda dealers and my indy mechanic, who used to be a Honda dealer tech. We can add them to the list of surprised people who say that I should have gotten some type of alert as soon as I swapped the wheels.

Any idea why I didn't get any alert?

(I will be testing the system this weekend by pulling a Tom Brady and deflating one tire, but I know that the system was working a few months ago when I got a valid low pressure alert with the original wheels)

Thanks for any info that you can provide.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Batteries only last 10yrs or so, did u look up the calibration instructions
How does battery life apply to my situation?

If the batteries in the replacement rims were dead, the TPMS system wouldn't have been able to read the sensors and the TPMS light (the one that actually says TPMS) would have come on.

In addition, the sensors in the replacement rims were able to be programmed, so the batteries must be good.

Registered
How does battery life apply to my situation?
It does not apply here at all. As you said, your "TMPS" light would have triggered if one of the sensors was not working properly.

There are two kinds of sensors available for the wheels. One (the OEM type, like the Denso sensors) you have to read the sensor IDs from the sensors and program them into the CR-V via the OBD-II port. There are a couple of aftermarket sensors (including Autel) that will let you clone your existing sensor IDs to new sensors--you would read the sensor IDs from the old sensors and program them into the new ones. (The Autel TS501 even has a "pocket" at the top where you place their "clone" sensors to program your ID numbers into them.)

I prefer the OEM sensors; however, I see that the cloned sensors could come in handy for a second set of tires and wheels, as you could swap them and the vehicle would not know the cloned set from the originals, and the TPMS warning would not trigger.

I don't understand why your TMPS warning isn't being triggered though--very interesting! Keep us posted if anything changes!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts