Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone else seem like the crv sway and bounce a lot? I know my tundra had a huge issue like that so I installed the trd sway bar. It helped a lot. Is there something like that we can do to our crv to help with body roll?

·
Registered
358 Posts
Does anyone else seem like the crv sway and bounce a lot? I know my tundra had a huge issue like that so I installed the trd sway bar. It helped a lot. Is there something like that we can do to our crv to help with body roll?
Have you checked your tire pressure to make sure it is not high?

·
Registered
187 Posts
I have a Ultra Racing rear sway bar sitting in my garage right now. It's been a brutal work week traveling from CA to OR but the goal is to install it tomorrow. I live in the Nor-cal foothills so there is a LOT of driving on winding roads. I'll post my results since I have quite a few reference corners to compare. Obviously its not going to change my AWD Touring into a sports car but taming a little body role and sharpening up the turn-in will be nice. Once my stock tires are done I'm moving to something more performance oriented which should be a nice balance of grip without sacrificing too much comfort.

·
Registered
210 Posts
A sway bar will help a lot but also stiffen up the ride considerably. If the roads near you are fairly smooth I'd say go for it. Otherwise the CR-V's suspension strikes a pretty good balance of long travel bump absorption and responsive handling.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Fortunately where I live the roads are smooth. There is only a few roads here and there that are a little rough but not even something that would be considered a pot hole.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Fortunately where I live the roads are smooth. There is only a few roads here and there that are a little rough but not even something that would be considered a pot hole.
You're also going to notice a real improvement in handling when you replace the stock tires. I highly recommend something like Michelin Premiere's if you need A/S tires. And if you don't, a summer tire will absolutely transform the handling of the CR-V.

·
Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
4,891 Posts
apparently the crv uses the same sway bar as the 2017+ civics...
Makes sense.. considering the CRVs are deployed on top of a civic chassis design... with some modifications of course.

I think in the case of the CRV... it has a higher center of gravity then a civic, higher road clearance, larger tires.. etc.... so we feel more give in the rolling aspect.... but reaction to bumps are probably about the same though tires have an impact on this as well and SUV tires are quite different then what one would put on a Civic.

Personally, I have been very pleased with the handling characteristics of the gen5 CRV. It is quite a bit better then my gen3 was.... but as a compact SUV... it's never going to be a glass smooth ride.. and is not designed to be either.

·
Registered
187 Posts
gnosisdog - Yes tires will be next but I do want to put a little more wear on the stock Hankooks before I move on to something else. Since we don't see snow in our area a tire that has stiffer side walls, better grip, and also good in the rain when needed will be the best choice. I have been looking at Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06s but I'm open to other options as well. Once again I'm not trying to make the CRV into a sports car but give it just a little better turn-in and less body roll. My goal is to have it respond closure to our MB GLK350.

·
Registered
210 Posts
gnosisdog - Yes tires will be next but I do want to put a little more wear on the stock Hankooks before I move on to something else. Since we don't see snow in our area a tire that has stiffer side walls, better grip, and also good in the rain when needed will be the best choice. I have been looking at Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06s but I'm open to other options as well. Once again I'm not trying to make the CRV into a sports car but give it just a little better turn-in and less body roll. My goal is to have it respond closure to our MB GLK350.
The thing to keep in mind is that the DWS 06's or any A/S tires are designed to work in snow as well. This is a major compromise. Summer tires will feel and perform much much better on both wet or dry roads. And the new models like the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 SUV's are also much quieter as well. Sure they're not going to wear as long but if you're investing in a sway bar and you want to get closer to the feeling of an MB or Macan, better rubber is the way to go. A cheaper alternative is the Firestone Indy Hawk 500, an amazing tire for the money if you don't mind a slight reduction in size. (It only comes in 235/55/18) I put mine on 20,000 hard miles ago and I'd say they're only half worn. Still quiet and they've absolutely transformed the handling of the CR-V. There's a tiny speedo error increase but the upside is that the slightly undergeared CVT is now a touch more responsive. Win-win.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Great feedback! I agree that the Pilot Sport 4's may be a better solution as any A/S tire will likely be a compromise compared to a summer performance tire. I will also definitely look into the Firestones. With a shorter 55 vs. 65 height they may also reduce the sidewall flex. I'm not concerned with the speedo difference since I typically don't look at it anyway :)

·
Registered
183 Posts
I went with those back in December. They perform well in snow, rain and dry and will increase fuel economy after a short break in period and provide better braking performance but they are soft. They will not make any discernible difference if you're looking to reduce roll in turns.

·
Registered
210 Posts
With a shorter 55 vs. 65 height they may also reduce the sidewall flex.
Its actually only 5% shorter as the OEM's are 60. But you will not believe the difference in road feel from switching from the Hankooks to something like the Firestones. The precision and feedback is so much greater and you also know that your raw cornering and braking limits have increased dramatically. I drive on very curvy roads for most of my commute and I find my confidence level improves immeasurably, especially when I'm pushing it. Considering the Firestone's were $90 a piece and I sold the barely used set of Hankooks for $300, I think it was the best bang for the buck upgrade I could have made.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts