Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are looking to install a 4-bike hitch-mounted rack on our 2008 CR-V. Based on recommendations here, looks like we will be ordering the Curt 13555 Class III 2" hitch & installing that ourselves.

Maintaining easy access to the cargo area even when the bikes are loaded is a feature that we are pretty sure we want. The swing-away racks by Yakima & Thule look REALLY nice, but my husband is concerned about the weight /downward pressure / torsion on the hitch in the "loaded and swung out" position. (The racks themselves are 42 pounds or 58 pounds, depending on which brand we go with... and our bikes can't be more than 25-30 pounds each, even with U-locks mounted on them.) Can anyone speak to these concerns about weight on the hitch, either to validate them or alleviate them?

Does anyone have specific experience with these swing-away racks on a 3rd gen V? Open to hearing any comments or what works/doesn't work...

Karen

·
Registered
582 Posts
I would go with a swing system. It is a pain removing the bikes and the rack every time you need to get into the back. Yakima & thrule make good quality stuff! I really like Yakima made in US? :DHal

·
Registered
582 Posts
I'm sure there is a wt, limit and they where only talking about two bikes. I once took my car for a test drive with my bikes mounted on top for the first time and when I got home drove into the car port. Required new forks on both bikes. Not a good day!!!:eek: Hal

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
I'm sure there is a wt, limit and they where only talking about two bikes. I once took my car for a test drive with my bikes mounted on top for the first time and when I got home drove into the car port. Required new forks on both bikes. Not a good day!!!:eek: Hal
Just remember they're up there next time.:D I've done things like that before.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh, you CR-V owners and your garages! Some of us live in the city and are lucky to have a deeded paved slab parking spot. ;)

Anywho. Thank you for the personal testimony on the swing-away rack -- I had seen that post that you linked and was just looking for more input. We ended up going with the Thule T2 (here's a video demonstration -- Thule T2 hitch-mounted bike rack). It was universally well-reviewed by people who had used lots of different racks... and it seems ridiculously easy to load/unload, which will ensure that we'll actually use the damn thing. For now, we only have 2 bikes to worry about, since our 20-month old isn't old enough to ride his own bike, but if/when we need to upgrade to carry more bikes, the T2 has an expansion module to add 2 more bikes. It tilts down for access to the cargo area, which ought to be enough for our needs.

kmk are merely my initials (or were, until I got married). No hidden meaning there. ;)

Thanks, guys, and I'll try to remember to report back...

·
Registered
404 Posts
I'd still say that would make it hard to maneuver the car itself, but if it works for you.
The pic doesn't do it justice. The length of the van with the rack, fully loaded, will fit within the confines of a typical parking lot space. It never felt unwieldy while driving or parking and the design is well thought out in that everything was solid and secure. The CRV, I believe, sits higher than the Odyssey it replaces, so it enhances that feeling.

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
Oh, alright.
WIth all said though, I don't know that I, personally would want that much length added to the back of my car, if only there were a way to lay bikes down horizontally on top of the car.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Curt #13555 hitch & Thule T2 rack - mini-review

Just wanted to report back...

My husband & brother installed the Curt #13555 over the weekend. (The packaging for the hitch wasn't sturdy enough, so it was poking through the box in two places by the time it got to us, but that doesn't seem to have damaged it in any way.) Installation turned out great -- it took some doing to lower the muffler (we were pretty much prepared for that from comments from other purchasers), and it wasn't completely obvious at first how to do so, though we figured it out. We did find that we had to change the instructions slightly -- it just wasn't possible to line up the hitch to the driver- and passenger-side brackets with the U-bolt over the tow loop, so we hung the U-bolt over the tow bolt AFTER lining up and screwing in the bolts to the side brackets. Oh, and it's a real tight space for tightening those side bolts with a beam torque wrench.

As for the Thule T2 rack... this thing is going to be a joy to use. And yes, with our bikes loaded, the tilt-down feature allows us to full access to the cargo area of the CR-V. Thumbs up.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts