Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I'm recently a proud new owner of a 2005 CR-V EX and would like to change the oil myself. This vehicle was a one time owner that took it to the same dealership for routine maintenance, oil changes, ect. I'm considering switching to synthetic, however I know talking about oil can be exhausting at times. My Crv has just now rolled over 120k miles and I'm looking for advise:

1) Should I switch to synthetic at this mileage or stay conventional?

2) If I stay conventional, which oil should I use?

3) can I use any brand of radiator coolant?

I hat to open a can of worms and I'm not here to debate. Just looking for advice on taking care of a well know vehicle. :)
Thanks for any advice!

·
Registered
108 Posts
That year uses 5w20 oil, most of it if not all in that weight is a synthetic blend. Stick with Honda filters if you can, I've never seen an aftermarket that rivals their quality. I stick with the Honda coolant also. It is premixed, works well and is a pretty blue! But yes, you can use any coolant that is universal if you wish just consider if it works in everything, it is not perfect for anything....

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
In answer to your questions:
1) It depends. Does it leak oil? It will tend to leak more w/synthetic oil in it.
2) Do you know what kind of oil was used by the previous owner?
3) You can use any kind you want, but, the best for your car probably would be Honda branded.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
I prefer Synthetic simply because of the cold starts in the winter and hot starts in the summer, but even sticking with regular oil, do you rarely hear about damage to a Honda engine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The engine doesn't seem to leak or burn oil as far as I can tell. I'll stick with honda coolant for now. I contacted the dealership and found they used a honda conventional oil. I would like to switch to synthetic so do you think I should start with a blended oil (such as valvaline) and then after 3-400k miles make the final oil change to full synthetic? I'd like to eventually use mobile1. I've just read that some owers club members say switching to synthetic can be more problematic in high milage vehicles. My goal is to keep this v and run it for as long as I can. Any thoughts on using royal purple?

·
Registered
47 Posts
I would just do the change with full synthetic. Many good ones out there. Mobil 1, Castrol edge, Pennzoil, etc. as far as the Honda filters go as long as you can get the A01 filters Ok, I would not use the A02, as they are a cheaper grade filter. Wix EPor ED, Napa Platinum (same as/made by Wix) Mobil 1 filters, Purolator synthetic. Personally I would not go over 6-7K miles anyway even with synthetic IMO. I am sure others will bash me for that claim-it works for me. I never ran the regular petroleum over 3-4K miles. again-just my opinion-and it is my money, so I will do what I want. I have never had any internal wear/engine problems even with very high milage. My previous Toyota pick up (son in law owns it now) has approx 340K on it. Runs great regular dino @ 3-4k miles. Wifes Toyota w/310k before was traded in-no problems either. daughters Honda Civic 400k, second owner now ( had to put a clutch in it) still engine runs Ok.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Yes Full Synthetic on the Oil changes, but stick with Honda fluids for everything else! I use either Mobil 1 or Castrol, which either is on sale. Purple is very expensive, but wouldn't cause problems either.

As Nike say's: Just Do It

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm trying my first synthetic oil in my 2007 CR-V this weekend. Just bought 5 quarts of Castro Edge 5w 20 to give it a try. Oil and Filter at Advanced Auto was $25, figured I'd try it. My CR-V has 80,400 miles and a fresh set of Michelin Latitude Touring tires as of today....well, it's my wife's CR-V (I get to occasional drive it)

It's getting 24 mph now with mostly short trip drives (less than 40 miles round trip), so we'll see how things improve.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
I thought I saw a Mobil 1 for high mileage vehicles last time I bought oil. Might be worth a try if so.
Good luck making the switch, it should work out fine.
Our current Honda's both are running Mobil 1 now.
I never ran Mobil 1 in my old '02 Accord, it did just fine on dino oil and didn't burn a drop even at 153k.
Let us all know what you finally decide to do.

·
Registered
750 Posts
(Europe, 2005, petrol 2 L, manual transmission): My Honda dealer service apparently always use Castrol Edge 0w40, for all-year use. I think that oil is fully synthetic. We have cold winters here, and sometimes hot summers.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Seeing you have 120k miles on the clock, a good synthetic will clean your engine out very well so if there's some misc particles keeping it from leaking, you may start seeing some leaks. If you do decide to go with a synthetic, I would make your first run short (~3k miles) as it will clean your engine out fairly quickly. If you live in a cold climate where you see winter temps dipping below 20F quite often, synthetics are better for cold weather start-ups then conventionals. I've been using Pennzoil Platinum with a Purolator Pure 1 filter for many years on my 05 LX with no issues. Our vehicle sees pretty much 90% of the time short trips (5 miles each way to work) so I try to keep my change intervals ~5k miles. You could go more if you have more highway driving in the mix. A Used Oil Analysis (Blackstone labs) would be beneficial if you wish to push the extended oil drain envelope. I suggest going over to the BITOG website (great site regarding all types of lubricants) and researching the Honda K24 engine (your CRV) and what people are using regarding oils and intervals. The K24 is known to be very easy on oils and generally doesn't care what you put in it. Great engine.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I pay 30 bucks total for synthetic oil and honda filter so why not switch .go to local walmart buy a 5qt of syn and honda filter for 5.50. 07 and up crv oil filter and plug is right yhere dont have to jack up car at all.im 6'4 250 i get under no problem.you pay the same for reg oil when you get it done at dealer.

·
Registered
705 Posts
I pay 30 bucks total for synthetic oil and honda filter so why not switch .go to local walmart buy a 5qt of syn and honda filter for 5.50. 07 and up crv oil filter and plug is right yhere dont have to jack up car at all.im 6'4 250 i get under no problem.you pay the same for reg oil when you get it done at dealer.
I just did my first oil change on my CR-V and paid about the same. I got 6 qts of Mobile-1 5w20 from Costco for $36 and a filter from walmart for $5.50. I end up with an extra quart but they will eventually accumulate into another oil change. I only change the oil twice a year though since I do so little driving (fall and spring). I expect to get well over 200k miles on my CR-V. I'm only at 88k now (bought at 82k).

·
Registered
25 Posts
I wouldn't bother with a blended and go synthetic straight away.

IMO, it is the oil grade/weight that you should adhere to which is the critical bit. Like Remmy said, most of the years uses synthetic so your engine is built for that spec. you will be fine.

As for coolant, any brand will do just make sure it is suitable for Honda engines and meets the requirements for your year's engine. e.g. mine is a 2007 CRV which requires Honda Type 2 anti-freeze/coolant, the aftermarket coolant I bought is non-silicate, non-borate formula meeting Honda Type 2 anti-freeze requirements. I have yet to change my coolant so I am still running on green unknown coolant put in by the last owner. The vehicle is still working but I don't know what sort of damage it has already done.

·
Registered
32 Posts
That year uses 5w20 oil, most of it if not all in that weight is a synthetic blend. Stick with Honda filters if you can, I've never seen an aftermarket that rivals their quality. I stick with the Honda coolant also. It is premixed, works well and is a pretty blue! But yes, you can use any coolant that is universal if you wish just consider if it works in everything, it is not perfect for anything....
Synthetic 5W-20 is widely available. I know Wal-Mart has it.

·
Registered
56 Posts
If you start getting leaks with Synthetic you can always return to Mineral Oil. Mobil 1 engineers state that Synthetic is fully compatible with Mineral Oil anyway so shouldn't be a problem. I wouldn't bother with Part-Synthetic/Synthetic Technology oils as you never know what the blend ratio is so could just be spending extra money for very little extra benefit.

In the UK I believe the current oil Honda use is Total Oil, distributed by Castrol and rebranded by Honda. Mobil 1 is my oil of choice.

Speaking of Royal Purple, are they API or ACEA approved?

I'd also stick with using a genuine OEM oil filter as it's too important a consumable to skimp on.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
If you start getting leaks with Synthetic you can always return to Mineral Oil. Mobil 1 engineers state that Synthetic is fully compatible with Mineral Oil anyway so shouldn't be a problem. I wouldn't bother with Part-Synthetic/Synthetic Technology oils as you never know what the blend ratio is so could just be spending extra money for very little extra benefit.

In the UK I believe the current oil Honda use is Total Oil, distributed by Castrol and rebranded by Honda. Mobil 1 is my oil of choice.

Speaking of Royal Purple, are they API or ACEA approved?

I'd also stick with using a genuine OEM oil filter as it's too important a consumable to skimp on.

That would depend on your opinion of Fram filters.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Don't know them to be honest. I've nothing against 3rd party parts, often they can be better but so long as they can be tested and demonstrated to be such. It that can be done with an oil filter to show it exceeds oem quality then I'd be happy.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts