Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi experts

I think about saving some money by not following strictly the service schedule about valve adjustment.
Will there be any symtoms when driving my 2010 CR-V indicating that valve adjustment is needed?
That is, what will happen if/when valve adjustment gets out of specifications?
Is there a risk of damage if having valve adjustment out of specifications?

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
12,136 Posts
If a tight exhaust valve exists, you might experience rough running. You could also burn a valve requiring cylinder head work.
Fuel economy will decline in the beginning...

On our 2.4L K-engine, I have checked valve clearances much more often than Honda's recommendation and have needed to adjust them all three times.

Valve clearance checks only cost TIME if you are capable of DIY. Otherwise, expect to spend about 1.5 - 2.0 hours of labour costs.

DO IT!

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
yeap have it done. Yet to see a Honda engine that doesnt need it every so often. And yours is a K24 (2.4L) just like the rest of us that have one 2002 or newer (up until the latest engines with Di and such) in the US and valve adjustments every few years is needed.

Yes not doing it can also cause burnt valves if the clearance gets too low. Which means taking head off and replacing them. Was a common issue with the first style of CRV because people didnt have valve lash adjusted as required.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2022 CRV EX FWD 2013 CRV EX FWD
3,011 Posts
About what mileage have y'all been doing the valve adjustment? The owners manual say no tune up required until 100,000 miles unless valves are noisy. Mine are quiet at 63,xxx miles, so I plan to do the valve lash at 100k miles when I do spark plugs and serpentine belt.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
12,136 Posts
I've done mine at around 50 - 60K miles.

As I said, TIGHT valves are QUIET valves. When properly adjusted, you can hear them. (They DO quiet down in a few thousand miles, either that or I get used to the noise) LOL

·
Registered
2022 CRV EX FWD 2013 CRV EX FWD
3,011 Posts
I've done mine at around 50 - 60K miles.

As I said, TIGHT valves are QUIET valves. When properly adjusted, you can hear them. (They DO quiet down in a few thousand miles, either that or I get used to the noise) LOL
I might just have to do it then. Just being really lazy about it. All the manual says is to adjust if “noisy”. I’m a diesel mechanic by trade, so we do maintenance off of hours. I guess I’ll need to look up the specs and order and just knock it out just to be safe. I really don’t want any burnt exhaust valves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
I might just have to do it then. Just being really lazy about it. All the manual says is to adjust if “noisy”. I’m a diesel mechanic by trade, so we do maintenance off of hours. I guess I’ll need to look up the specs and order and just knock it out just to be safe. I really don’t want any burnt exhaust valves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just make sure you do it on a 'cold' engine,
Buffalo4

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So, are valves in need of adjustment extra noisy, and well-adjusted barely but clearly heard, or ...?

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
12,136 Posts
In my experience with several Hondas, the intakes are prone to loosen a bit and become noisy. The exhausts WILL tighten over time...they are Silent Killers.

I adjust my exhaust valves to the LOOSE end of specification, and on both our V and our Fit most are slightly below specification when I do it again in 50 - 60K miles.

+++++

So, if you take note of engine noise before (hood/bonnet UP), and again after, you will hear more valve clatter.

At least we don't need to do valve adjustments as much as on older Hondas. Our '90 Accord EX specified valve clearance checks every 6000 miles (or, every other oil change). It's a wonderful world we live in, today!

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
So, are valves in need of adjustment extra noisy, and well-adjusted barely but clearly heard, or ...?
Well adjusted valves will have the engine sounding like a well running sewing machine. Not exactly quiet, but nothing clatteringly loud either. Just sort of a muted mechanical sound.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.