Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm finally ready for my 1st oil changed (I was going to do it early but decided to wait until the msg said it was time) I've called around for prices on a full synthetic oil change.

I also called 2 Honda dealerships. One quoted me a price for synthetic blend. I asked what came in my car and they said blend. I called another dealership and then said it came with full synthetic.

I have the 2015 Honda CRV TOURING. Does anyone know if it came with blend or full synthetic? Thanks so much.

·
Registered
785 Posts
I'm finally ready for my 1st oil changed (I was going to do it early but decided to wait until the msg said it was time) I've called around for prices on a full synthetic oil change.

I also called 2 Honda dealerships. One quoted me a price for synthetic blend. I asked what came in my car and they said blend. I called another dealership and then said it came with full synthetic.

I have the 2015 Honda CRV TOURING. Does anyone know if it came with blend or full synthetic? Thanks so much.
The CRV comes from the factory with Honda's synthetic blend 0w-20. Be careful with dealer oil changes; some Honda dealers may use bulk (non-Honda) motor oil and some may use conventional 5w-20 instead of a synthetic blend 0w-20. It may be worth asking the parts department guys what oil is used rather than the service writer who may only have a stock answer.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks so much guys. The dealer with the blend wanted $49.95 and the dealer with the full wanted $79.95. I'm going to switch over to the full synthetic unless anyone has a reason why that's a bad idea?

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Full synthetic is the absolute best oil for your vehicle. Lubrication qualities are superb. Personally, I use Mobil 1 in all of my equipment. To date I have never had an engine failure. Period.

Enjoy your ride!

·
Everything in Moderation
7,736 Posts
One thing worth mentioning is that your Maintenance Minder is assumes you are using at least a synth blend. It has no way of knowing if you go to a full synthetic. So, it won't extend Oil Change Intervals.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good Point Carbuff2! Thanks for mentioning that. I'll have to remember that when the msg comes up after this oil change.

·
Everything in Moderation
7,736 Posts
Good Point Carbuff2! Thanks for mentioning that. I'll have to remember that when the msg comes up after this oil change.
We extend the OCI on our Fit by resetting it when it reads ~50%. Then we change the oil when the Wrench appears.

The Fit's MM is calibrated for mineral (dino) oil, as recommended....

·
Registered
785 Posts
Thanks so much guys. The dealer with the blend wanted $49.95 and the dealer with the full wanted $79.95. I'm going to switch over to the full synthetic unless anyone has a reason why that's a bad idea?
Only money. How long to you plan to keep the car? A synthetic blend will allow it to last a very long time. You could ask your dealer what they would charge if you brought your own oil: 5 quarts of Mobil1 full synthetic 0w-20 can be had at WalMart for $25 or so, and is as good or better than Honda's full synthetic.

The $30 premium for full synthetic seems high. The msrp difference between Honda's full syn and syn blend is $3.90/quart ($8.90 vs $5.00), so 5 quarts should cost an extra $19.50. It takes no more labor to pour in a full synthetic.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
One thing worth mentioning is that your Maintenance Minder is assumes you are using at least a synth blend. It has no way of knowing if you go to a full synthetic. So, it won't extend Oil Change Intervals.
I use Full Synthetic and change it with the MM. I do not extend it. With my mileage and usage, I usually do less than 2 oil changes a year, so about 3 oil changes every 2 years.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I've been using full synthetic in my '04 Accord EX and my '12 V LX since I've owned them...and cars previously owned as well.
I prefer full synthetic for its' benefits rather than extended oil life. I still change the oil in my Accord every 3000 miles, though for my wife's driving habits that means two changes per year. I've increased the mileage in the V to 4000 which still results in two..ish...changes per year.

I'm not fussy about brands but use either Mobil, Castrol or Valvoline.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I use Mobile 1 5W30 in my 2015 CR-V EX-L and it's full synthetic. If you watch the Costco flyers, they offer a 6 quart case for roughly $27 every couple months. I go to O'reilly's and buy the Wix 57356 filter for about $7. Wix is the best filter that I know of. I change the oil and filter every 7K miles.

More info: I also use Mobile 1 in my F150 and the last oil change I did at 7K miles I sent an oil sample in to be analyzed. The results came back and their tech commented that next time I should try going 9K miles. I'm sticking with the 7K interval but at least it's good to know that the Mobile 1 has a long useful life.

·
Registered
785 Posts
I use Mobile 1 5W30 in my 2015 CR-V EX-L and it's full synthetic. If you watch the Costco flyers, they offer a 6 quart case for roughly $27 every couple months. I go to O'reilly's and buy the Wix 57356 filter for about $7. Wix is the best filter that I know of. I change the oil and filter every 7K miles.

More info: I also use Mobile 1 in my F150 and the last oil change I did at 7K miles I sent an oil sample in to be analyzed. The results came back and their tech commented that next time I should try going 9K miles. I'm sticking with the 7K interval but at least it's good to know that the Mobile 1 has a long useful life.
As your owners manual specifies 0w-20, using 5w-30, even if it's Mobil1, could jeopardize your warranty in the event of an engine problem. Maybe Honda would ignore this deviation, but maybe not. Why ask for trouble during warranty?

·
Banned
806 Posts
To the OP, if you have your choice, go with the synthetic. It isn't going to matter at all whether or not your car came with blended or synthetic. I myself do all my oil changes myself and the cost is less than what you were quoted for a blend, by $15 to $20. That is with full synthetic and a factory oil filter and a new crush washer. I myself prefer the Valvoline products over others that are out there. Also found that the local Toyota parts department sold a factory cap wrench for the Camry that fits the Honda 15400-PLM-A01 perfectly. I tried several aftermarkets and they all slipped. It was however $50, but if I remember correctly it was cheaper than what Honda wanted by about half.

I also stay away from those oil change places as I have seen it where they said they changed the filter and didn't. Over tightened the drain plug and have stripped it out. And who knows if they change the crush washer with a new one. I doubt it as that is why they put the drain plug back in so tight. And who knows what oil they use and whether or not it is of the proper weight.

·
Everything in Moderation
7,736 Posts
I can't even find blended 0w20 accept at my dealer.
Wal-Mart sells 5W-20 Motorcraft brand (at least, around here they do). Unless your car is outside in sub-zeroF weather it should work OK.

Motorcraft sells a 0W-20 blend also.

But for the same price at WalMart you can get their 5W-20 full synthic house brand made by Warren Petroleum. Good stuff.

There are also rebates on SOPUS products that get the price down to $15 for 5 quarts.

I usually look here
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/forums/33/1/Product_Rebates,_Sales_and_Pro
Before buying oil or filters....

·
Registered
136 Posts
To the OP, if you have your choice, go with the synthetic. It isn't going to matter at all whether or not your car came with blended or synthetic. I myself do all my oil changes myself and the cost is less than what you were quoted for a blend, by $15 to $20. That is with full synthetic and a factory oil filter and a new crush washer. I myself prefer the Valvoline products over others that are out there. Also found that the local Toyota parts department sold a factory cap wrench for the Camry that fits the Honda 15400-PLM-A01 perfectly. I tried several aftermarkets and they all slipped. It was however $50, but if I remember correctly it was cheaper than what Honda wanted by about half.

I also stay away from those oil change places as I have seen it where they said they changed the filter and didn't. Over tightened the drain plug and have stripped it out. And who knows if they change the crush washer with a new one. I doubt it as that is why they put the drain plug back in so tight. And who knows what oil they use and whether or not it is of the proper weight.
Handa-Accessories sells the OEM filter wrench, OEM oil filters, and washers (transmission and oil). The oil filter wrench is $25.

Walmart seems to have the best prices on synthetic oil. I bought two 5-qt jugs of the Pennzoil 0W20 Platinum Full Synthetic for $45 total (plus taxes).

·
Banned
806 Posts
Handa-Accessories sells the OEM filter wrench, OEM oil filters, and washers (transmission and oil). The oil filter wrench is $25.

Walmart seems to have the best prices on synthetic oil. I bought two 5-qt jugs of the Pennzoil 0W20 Platinum Full Synthetic for $45 total (plus taxes).
Thats good to know on the Honda Accessories. If that cap wrench fits like it is suppose to that is a good deal. In reference to the Pennzoil I steer clear of that stuff. Everybody has their opinion on it and that is mine.

·
Registered
40 Posts
As your owners manual specifies 0w-20, using 5w-30, even if it's Mobil1, could jeopardize your warranty in the event of an engine problem. Maybe Honda would ignore this deviation, but maybe not. Why ask for trouble during warranty?
In my opinion the reason Honda specifies 0W-20 is because of CAFE standards which basically means that Honda feels the car will get better fuel economy by using a lighter oil with less friction. My feeling is that Honda wants there cars to meet government requirements and could care less about the longevity of their engines as long as they make it past the warranty period. I on the other hand want my engine to last 250K miles and I feel that the 5W-30 does a better job. Show where car manufacturers changed the engine tolerances so engines can accept this light weight oil and maybe I'll change my mind. The only thing that changed when vehicles started coming with the lighter oil was the MPG requirements. I've been told that F150's sold in the USA come with 0W-20 but in Europe they come with a heavier oil.

·
Everything in Moderation
7,736 Posts
As long as the engine is clean (no varnish on the valvetrain, etc) that would indicate that the oil is being changed often enough.

There are disgusting pictures of engines on the 'net where the maintenance has not been done.
Here's one:

Here's a properly-maintained engine:

The difference is quite apparent... :p

1 - 20 of 58 Posts