Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else observed when starting the engine that the Tachometer display shows revs to full redline before dropping back to idle?
It doesn't seem that the engine is actually revving (thank God) - just the display bar.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Yep, it's just for show. Lots of cars with actual mechanical gauges do that to demonstrate that the gauges work, and to reset the motor.

I'm thinking of turning the tach off... it doesn't really serve any purpose.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I'm confused about that statement. It serves the one purpose all tachs serve, tells you how many revs per minute your engine is spinning just like any other tach. I find it helpful, it educates me about my engine: where I am mostly in terms of revs, how much work do I typically ask my engine to do, how much does the engine spin at certain speeds, how hard does the engine work in certain mountains and so on. Seems useful to me.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
I guess I feel it's unnecessary since there aren't any actions you can take as a result. It says how fast it's turning, sure, but since it doesn't express anything about torque, you don't actually know how hard it's working, just how fast it's spinning. (And you can tell "faster" vs. "slower" by sound already.) A tach is important in a manual to help figure out your shift points. An auto without even those silly paddles? Not so much.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I guess I feel it's unnecessary since there aren't any actions you can take as a result. It says how fast it's turning, sure, but since it doesn't express anything about torque, you don't actually know how hard it's working, just how fast it's spinning. (And you can tell "faster" vs. "slower" by sound already.) A tach is important in a manual to help figure out your shift points. An auto without even those silly paddles? Not so much.
Yeah I can see that. I guess it comes down to preference.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yep, it's just for show. Lots of cars with actual mechanical gauges do that to demonstrate that the gauges work, and to reset the motor.
Hmmm. None of my non-digital tachs needle sweep on startup, and it would be impossible for a mechanical tach which typically is cable connected to the distributor. I guess that's why I was alarmed to see the CR-V tach do it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Not all non-digital tachs are connected by a cable. Some are still electrically run. My non-digital motorcycle tach does the full sweep when I turn the ignition power on, even if the motor has not been started yet.

·
Registered
1 Posts
How do I turn on this feature on my 2017 Touring? My dashboard looks boring with just the speedometer showing..lol.

·
Registered
55 Posts
How do I turn on this feature on my 2017 Touring? My dashboard looks boring with just the speedometer showing..lol.
You can turn the tachometer on and off from the Home screen, go to Settings->System->Tachometer Settings. From here you can toggle it on and off.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
If you notice all the gauges "sweep" on power up. This is a pretty common thing with many computer dashes. It actually has a name, its a "POST" test. Yes, we all know "post" comes from the Latin "post" as in "after" but in this case its a acronym for Power On Self Test. It shows that all the segments of the board and their drivers are working. Oh, and it looks cool too. But actually its a build in diagnostic test that can be very helpful if there is a problem. So for a computer POST comes first, not after.

Tachs are very useful, especially in a vehicle where its hard to hear the engine at times. It lets you know if its lugging, if its over revving, if the transmission is slipping, etc. But if you have no use for it, shut it down using the instructions in the manual.

OH, and its been a VERY long time since any vehicle had a cable driven tach or speedo. A very long time! In the field we were so happy to see those damn cables go away back thirty years or more ago. They were a PITA.

·
Registered
452 Posts
The gauge sweep at startup can be kind of a PITA. I have another car that does it, and it prevents me from seeing things like oil pressure at startup. I end up using an OBDII sensor if I want to see that kind of info within 5 seconds of starting the engine.

It does look cool, though. Moreso on a full set of analog gauges than on the CR-V's digital ones.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I much enjoy my 2017 CRV digital tachometer's post test. Thanks, "master" Hans471 for your meaningful explanation to everybody in this room.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts