Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

Tad bit upset

7K views 32 replies 22 participants last post by  williamsji 
#1 ·
Anyone have any tips or is this normal, the hood of this Hybrid CRV is so delicate I went to check the oil in my car and you know how you push the hood down when you’re done instead of slamming it? I push it down on the center and it caved in and it did come back up by itself but now I have a small dent on my hood has this happened to anyone else it’s not noticeable unless you walk up on it from a certain direction and sun light. So sad how can it be so easily to leave a dent checking oil it’s right on the center where the latch is.

#2 ·
I would personally never push it down with my hands. I would simply let gravity shut it for me - 1ft height is all it needs.

Most car bonnets/hoods have to be lightweight for pedestrian impacts and so is very normal.

Sad to say, but this one is on you - you should never push a bonnet down when the bonnet itself is designed to deform on any sort of push/forced impact. Gravity is much kinder.

#4 ·
I just pushed it down like any person would nothing hard like in did with my other cars. Trust me I didn’t want to damage the hood so I just pushed down to close. I don’t see how it would leave a dent so easily slightly above where the latch is under the hood. Unless something fell on the hood at the exact same spot we had a storm last night but what are the odds. Going to try some things to get it out looks like it just needs a reverse pull out if you know what I mean.

I will try and take a pick maybe you guys can tell if it’s damage from an object or pushing down closing the hood.

#10 ·
It would be helpful if you could share a photo.

Pending a photo though... should be pretty easy for a local body shop to pop it back, without need for repainting unless you really mangled it. So check with local body shops and see what they say. They just have to remove the heat shield (which probably means new fasteners) and then rub/push the dent

The generation 5 hood IS pretty thin, and it will flex some under pressure of your hand. If someone were to sit or stand on your hood it would most likely deform permanently.

Tip: The hood is not meant to carry any sort of loading... it is there for aerodynamics and to provide some of the total rigidity of the vehicle.

Never in almost 6 years have I dented mine. Then again, I noticed immediately that it flexes so I avoid putting any kind of force on it, much less stack anything heavy on the hood.

#13 ·
Big Box home improvement stores sell suction devices which folks use to move large mirrors or sheets of glass. Buy one of them to see if you can remove that dent. View attachment 157805
Would suggest doing this on a warm day.
Depending on the dent, that might just do the trick. This is where a photo helps us all help the original poster more effectively. :)

You can also buy a kit from places like Amazon that offer a handful of these for different size/type of dent popping.

The good news is the modern water based paints Honda uses to paint their vehicles appears to be pretty flexible (at least in it's first few years) so worries about cracking the paint are pretty minimal...but care and patience are still prudent.

#17 · (Edited)
Ok if someone walks by they won’t see it due to the color of my car, but if you know it’s there you will always see it haha. Not sure if you can see the small dent but I tried to take a photo of it but the color makes it hard to see. I might be able to live with it but i will always know it’s there lol. I will try that suction cup thing idea.
Water Tints and shades Glass Space Electric blue

#19 ·
Ok if someone walks by they won’t see it due to the color of my car, but if you know it’s there you will always see it haha. Not sure if you can see the small dent but I tried to take a photo of it but the color makes it hard to see. I might be able to live with it but i will always know it’s there lol. I will try that suction cup thing idea. View attachment 157817
Photo is not that clear, but if I am seeing the dent properly.. it almost looks like someone jammed their elbow down on the hood in closing it. That might be difficult to pop with a suction device.

Best thing really is to consult a local body shop and get their take on what is needed to fix it. If nothing else, you will get clues on how easy or difficult it will be. If they tell you they can pull that out easily for you with a suction device (and a low repair cost estimate) ... then you know you might be able to do it yourself.

Personally, I would let the pros fix it. Then again.. first scratch, dent or ding in my vehicles.. I always leave it... because of course you are going to get one eventually anyway and the first strike means never worrying about a second strike... because you baby is not pristine any more, so Murphy won't come looking for it to dent it. :)

#24 ·
So sorry. I noticed also how flimsy it is. If my latch every let go, it would of course be gone. Just to cheap material for a hood.
Certainly not the old Saturn car construction days.
I slowly lower the hood close to latch & let go.
Not bad of noise, latches secure.
Otherwise I have no ideas.
I certainly don't think the car will last like My 2007 Saturn Vue. It's still runs fantastic.

#25 ·
So sorry. I noticed also how flimsy it is. If my latch every let go, it would of course be gone. Just to cheap material for a hood.
Certainly not the old Saturn car construction days.
I slowly lower the hood close to latch & let go.
Not bad of noise, latches secure.
Otherwise I have no ideas.
I certainly don't think the car will last like My 2007 Saturn Vue. It's still runs fantastic.
Saturn, the plastic car? 🤣

#26 ·
There are guys, I know in Los Angeles CA USA that travel around, come to your house and remove small dents, The guy I had was amazing, he even lessened a dent in my rubber/plastic rear bumper, plus all the dents on the side of the car. I sure if you could find someone like this, he could fix the dent in your hood.

#30 ·
I was advised by a mechanic, years ago, to not close the hood by letting it drop. The reason given was that the repeated shocks of that maneuver shortened the life of the headlights, which used incandescent bulbs, back then. Doubt it's an issue, at all, with LED lights. And it might not have been a real issue, back then; could have been just folklore. I've noticed my 2021 CRV hood flexing easily, so take care to treat it nicely. I still close it by gently pushing on the edge, using both hands. After doing it that way for many years, letting a hood close with a bang almost feels like abuse, rather than treating my transportation with respect.

#31 ·
The only engine hood I can recall doing anything other than a gravity-close, was my VW beetles. I think they had a 90° handle that needed a twist. Yep, the sheet metal is thin. Wife backed into our plastic trash cart and left a small dent under the tail light. Drop your engine hood when 6" above the latch from now on and chalk this one up to experience. Experience.... where the test comes first, then the lesson! ;)

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.