Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, hoping someone can help.

I just bought my daughter her first CRV, a Mark 2 2.0L Petrol on an 03 UK plate.

The tailgate (door) opens and closes but does not lock. When I set the central locking it locks but there is no alarm sound and the tailgate remains unlocked. If I unlock the car, but don't open any of the other 4 doors it re-locks itself within a second or two, again with no alarm sound.

I suspect this has been an issue for someone in the past so any advice or guidance would really be appreciated. I don't know if it is a problem with the tailgate actuator, or the signal to it, any clues where to start would be really helpful. I know I could put a deadlock or something inside the boot but that really doesn't deal with the issue. Fair to say she isn't exactly happy with me. HELP!:confused::(

·
Everything in Moderation
8,155 Posts
Do you have a Door Open icon on the dash? Sometimes the cars don't sense that the tailgate is actually closed.

Easy diagnostic is to wrap a rubber band around the L-shaped switch actuator on the LH side of the door opening. Then the door will fully push the non-adjustable switch a little farther.

If this easy step doesn't produce the desired results, yes you may need to replace the actuator.

+++++++++++++

On USA CR-Vs, locking the doors with the fob does not initiate a horn 'chirp' on the first press, only on the second press. When unlocking, the horn is always silent.

It is normal also, for the doors to re-lock themselves automatically if a door isn't open within a few seconds, too. Again, if the car isn't sensing the tailgate and that is the only door you open, it might then re-lock.

Keep us posted.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the response. I don't have any door open light showing on the dash and my CRV 2001 Mk 1 51 plate sounds the alarm once on unlock and twice on lock (or vice versa) but on my daughter's 2003 03 plate nothing. I think I will have to dismantle the tailgate and try to see what is going on, just hope that is something obvious, concerned that it could be a break in the wire somewhere and that will be an absolute nightmare, particularly as I have no technical skills to speak of. Onward and upward, and again thank you for your response, nice to know someone is listening.

·
Everything in Moderation
8,155 Posts
1. Does your Door Ajar dash icon come on when other doors are open?

2. Does it come on when the tailgate is open?

If the answer to #1 is YES but the answer to #2 is NO, then as you mentioned, a previous owner might have tried to turn the dash icon off by shorting the switch. The icon SHOULD light if the tailgate is open.

Perhaps someone else in the UK can comment on how the icon and door switches work on UK models (since they are often different, for example USA cars have a key-lock on the tailgate, UK cars don't).

Otherwise SEARCH for a tailgate actuator topic or YouTube vid, that will show how the inner panel comes off.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts