Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a new Honda CR-V EX-L. It has black leather seats. There's also some wood paneling. This is a first time owning a car like this. I have a few questions about interior car care.

1. I came across two car care products, Mother's and Meguiars. Are these any good or better ones? Are all-in-one solutions any good?

2. How do I know it is time to treat the leather?

3. How do I care for the dashboard and wood paneling?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Probably if you're just beginning to care for leather (the leather on the CR-V, as most cars now) is a leather product, not made from individual hides like older cars or the most expensive. I'd start with the steps in the manual:

"To properly clean leather:
1. Use a vacuum or soft dry cloth first to remove any dirt or dust.
2. Clean the leather with a soft cloth dampened with a solution comprised of 90%
water and 10% neutral soap.
3. Wipe away any soap residue with a clean damp cloth.
4. Wipe away residual water and allow leather to air dry in the shade.

It is important to clean or wipe away dirt or dust as
soon as possible. Spills can soak into leather resulting
in stains. Dirt or dust can cause abrasions in the
leather. In addition, please note that some dark
colored clothing can rub onto the leather seats
resulting in discoloration or stains."

The "wood" you mention is a vinyl product, not real wood, on the dash. The above process is fine, you might try some products that give some protection like 303 Protectant, but be careful because many can create a very shiny appearance which you may not want.

I'd spend some time on this other CR-V forum for more study: Appearance

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
I have used generic leather conditioner spray in all my cars, seats have looked brand new 10 years in. I use the abovementioned cleaning method before applying conditioner every few weeks in summer or twice during winter and it's been great.

I have tried beeswax in the early years but it's too much of a hassle.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
I'm not familiar with carnauba. Beeswax based conditioner is widely used for conditioning and waterproofing leather products.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
12,154 Posts
Many 'old school' leather conditioners contained Lanolin. When used as directed (every 6 months - one year) the leather would remain supple and would not harden and crack.

Newer cars (since the '90s) have leather that is coated (similar to a Clear Coat on the body paintwork). This finish requires different strategies, tho' t requires less care.

One good resource is

Home Page | Leatherique Restoration Products

Their products are tested and have the approval of many owners. (No financial interest, yada yada yada)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was lookin at the Leatherique's products. (It is interesting what the Rejuvenator does. (I'm not sure how it forces the dirt out of the leather.) I guess the waiting part with the oil might be little hard to allot time for. I notice Honda sells Leather Cleaner and Protector. I'm not sure how good they are or what the ingredients are. Has anyone used them with good results?

·
Registered
2020 CR-V Hybrid Touring | Modern Steel Metallic | Black Leather
88 Posts
I've always used Lexol Leather Cleaner and the separate Lexol Leather Conditioner for years. Always been happy with those two products. They are PH balanced as to not harm the leather and don't leave the leather feeling slick or greasy nor does it leave the leather with a glossy finish. Leaves the leather soft and supple but with a natural matte finish. Just vacuum the interior as normal and follow the directions on the bottle and you shouldn't have any problems.

After having just purchased my 2020 CR-V Hybrid Touring and a brand new 2019 Hyundai Ioniq Hybrid Limited, I've already done both interiors with these products just to start off with clean and conditioned leather. I'm self diagnosed OCD, so I clean the seats monthly. It's really easy and I can have it done in under a half hour. Worth caring for and protecting the interior.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was looking at Lexol Cleaner and Conditioner. What are the ingredients? I read in some cases that it may darken the leather. I'm not sure what customers do if it does, if anything. Does it leave a residual odor?

·
Registered
2020 CR-V Hybrid Touring | Modern Steel Metallic | Black Leather
88 Posts
I was looking at Lexol Cleaner and Conditioner. What are the ingredients? I read in some cases that it may darken the leather. I'm not sure what customers do if it does, if anything. Does it leave a residual odor?
I'm not sure of the ingredient list.... I know it's PH Balanced as to not discolor leather. I have used it on gray colored leather in my previous 2014 Elantra Limited, black leather in my previous 2019 Honda Insight Touring, black leather in my 2020 CR-V Hybrid touring, and again gray leather in my 2019 Hyundai Ioniq Limited without any issue. My partner has used it on the black leather in his 2018 Ford F-150 Platinum with no issue there either. I've not witnessed any darkening or discoloration after using this product.

There is a smell to the product (and not a bad one by any means) as you are using it, but since your doors are open while you are in and out of the vehicle cleaning it, you won't be stuck with any lingering odor.

·
Registered
14 Posts
My black leather seats only require light cleaning. I wipe them down with a microfiber cloth and warm water at least 1x per month or after a dusty or muddy ride etc as needed. It just takes a few minutes.

Every 3-4 months I clean them with Megiar's leather cleaner, folliwed by Megiar's leather conditioner, both using a round microfiber applicator pad followed by a clean microfiber cloth. Stearing wheel, shifter knob, and door panels too. Takes 30 minutes. All items available at Walmart.

All other hard interior surfaces both black and wood panels are wiped with 303 Protectant on a microfiber cloth 1x a month. It's easy and really makes the black parts a deep black without being glossy. Wipe off with a clean microfiber. 303 works great on black exterior parts too.

My interior looks and smells new after 2 years with very little effort.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
The middle parts of my seats are Alcantara. I have never done anything to it than just vacuum. Looks great to this day but I wonder when the cracks will appear.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts