Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum, and enjoying working on my daughter's CRV lately. I've enjoyed this forum in recent months, and want to thank everyone for creating such a wealth of knowledge and community. Purchased the car almost 3 years ago with 154K miles, at which point my mechanic recommended to change serpentine belt, spark plugs, replace valve cover seals, gaskets and grommets, transmission drain and fill, rear diff fluid change, and front end alignment -- all of which he performed at that time. Now it's up to 174K miles, and it's been a great car, needing no major repairs other than having to replace the AC compressor/system at about 165K miles.

Having enjoyed working on my own cars some 30 years ago, I've recently starting taking over the maintenance myself. This past month have completed the power steering fluid flush, rear differential fluid change, coolant change, oil change, cabin filter, and air filter change. There is one problem (or maybe it's not a problem) that I'm having trouble finding anyone else reporting the way I encounter it. It's a hum or perhaps could be called a low volume whine that I mainly notice at freeway speeds, and i believe it's coming from the rear of the car (although not 100% certain of that). If I'm cruising along at 65mph on flat ground, holding just enough gas pedal to maintain speed, I hear it. If I let off on the gas ever so slightly and start coasting, the sound disappears. If I press the gas some more to accelerate I hear it again. So it seems it has something to do with whether or not the drivetrain is under load. I thought perhaps it was the rear diff since I've read about the rear diff making various noises, but after changing the rear diff fluid last week, there is no difference in this whine. It's possible the car's been doing this since we purchased it because i remember it not being the quietest interior when I drove it for the first time, but I'm not the one that's been doing most of the driving until now, so can't be sure. Thanks in advance for any insights as to what could be the cause, and if I should be worried.

·
Premium Member
2,694 Posts
I notice a slight hum or rumble in the rear of my '09, but it's from the exhaust, which is getting a bit old and likely will need replacement soon. It changes under "load" since the movement of the engine during acceleration or deceleration shifts the whole exhaust system slightly.

A continuous hum could be a wheel bearing, or even a brake caliper issue. Intermittent (only under load) could be any number of things (perhaps the rear axles?), although I've yet to hear of anyone's rear differential ever going bad in a CR-V.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts