Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings!

I am new to the site and need your help!
I own a 2004 crv.
It is winter time and cold....30-40 lows. We moved from arizona in july to washington. The car has had a few issues that a have addressed.

The temp gauge will not read correctly. It stays at the "c" or just above it. Engine light came on, code was p0128 thermostat. I changed the thermostat and the gauge needle still shows cold. I cleared the code and now i get code p0125 after i changed the thermostat. Temp gauge still cold.

In october i changed the ect sensor and radiator switch sensor and condensor fan. Have had no issues since, until now.

Please help, thanks.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Sounds like you are running in Open Loop mode which means a rich mixture which can shorten the life of the catalytic converter and also means poor mpg.
It is also possible that the 'new' thermostat is faulty. Is it a Honda one?
Not sure which temp sensor determines the open loop or which temp sensor determines the temp gauge reading.
Getting it fixed soon is pretty important.
Check out this link for some info on what that code means : http://repairpal.com/OBD-II-Code-P0125
Since it is a fairly new vehicle to you, I would invest in a real time OBDII reader like an Ultra-Gauge (http://www.ultra-gauge.com/ultragauge/) or a Scan Gauge or similar.
As TomKatt asked, do you get hot air out of the heater?
If the air is not hot, it may well be the 'new' thermostat or an air pocket or?
http://www.aa1car.com/library/coolant_sensors.htm

Do you still get the P015 code?
Buffalo4

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for responding.

Yes, I do. Plenty of heat.

Infrared heat gun shows engine block when warm at 140-160 degress F. Upper radiator hose 120 F. Lower hose 100F.
weather is about 40 degrees. Car temp gauge just won't heat up.
Almost like the thermostat is stuck open but I just changed it.
Now, today, no engine codes present.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
If you're getting hot air, it should be going into closed-loop mode. Perhaps the connector on the 'new' ECT sensor you installed is loose or not making a good connection. The temp reading in the dash is kind of general overall and a real time OBDII reader or even one you just plug in to read codes and clear them may be very helpful.
Buffalo4

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks again.

I will check connections and take temp using a scantool. Like I said, no codes now. Just temp needle inop.

My concern is the codes, if and when they come back. I did get the P0125 and P0128 for the last week. After changing thermostat and clearing codes, they have not come back....needle just won't move.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Perhaps it is in the 180 degree range and the infra-red thermometer may be inaccurate or just reading the temp where it is pointed to: outside rubber on the rad hose at that point. He is getting good heat out of the heater.
An OBDII reader may give a more accurate temp.
The big problem is the open-loop problem.

UncleJodge1981,
The OBDII reader may give a more accurate temp reading and it is good that you are not getting the open-loop code anymore.
You said you got the P0125 AFTER changing the thermostat, didn't you?

Buffalo4

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
1/12/15......code P0128 returned this morning. Drove car for 20 minutes, let it sit and idle....max temp my scantool read was 142F, outside air temp is 45F.

Has to be the thermostat again, right?

Ugh...frustrated...

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Sounds like the cheapest, least stressful fix is to replace the thermostat with an OEM from Honda.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I usually try to use genuine Honda parts for repairs, especially things that are more involved or require more extensive labor... I'm not certain if Honda's are just finicky or if the aftermarket supply is engineered too cheaply, but it seems that I hear of many aftermarket repair parts that don't work 100%. You'd think that something as simple as a thermostat should be no big deal, but today's fuel efficient engines are very sensitive to temperature control (and how quickly they get up to operating temp). I've had good luck with aftermarket brake parts, but for most other items getting the Honda part usually guarantees a successful repair the first time around. Since I do most of my own work I figure I save the $ on the labor anyway. Good luck - hope the Honda thermostat resolves your issue... Let us know how it turns out!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
update....1/19/2015

Thermostat has been replaced twice, ECT sensor has been replaced.

Temp gauge will not heat up properly.

failed emissions test, they said something about the O2 sensor or CAT?

what is going on here? please help lol

1 - 17 of 17 Posts