Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody,

Im have a Honda CR-V 2000 manual transmission. At first the car had no problems driving in Summer, but since the first snow started overheating with very strange sympthoms, example Heat System was cold air..and fan didnt started, all system was empty, had to refill everytime.

I changed Radiator, Hose. and didnt have issues for 4 Months.

Now again suddenly im experiencing the overheating symthom, then changed Thermostat and continue the same.
Then i ordered the Temp Sensor im waiting but im not sure of really that will help.

Any ideas or suggestions?
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
You might have a bad water pump. take out the thermostat with the engine stone cold. Test the system by starting the engine without the radiator cap see if you have any flow in the radiator by looking at the hole where the cap goes. When you start the engine do you see a white puff of smoke from the tailpipe? Let me know.

·
Registered
772 Posts
You might have a bad water pump. take out the thermostat with the engine stone cold. Test the system by starting the engine without the radiator cap see if you have any flow in the radiator by looking at the hole where the cap goes. When you start the engine do you see a white puff of smoke from the tailpipe? Let me know.
Good advise from otto888man, this is something you got to take care of. One thing I'm looking at, you solved your problem for a while. I'm thinking you need to flush the entire cooling system including the heater core. I would do as OP stated, take out the thermostat. Here is the correct way to FLUSH. Take the radiator cap off, remove the top radiator hose @ the radiator and stuff a rag in the radiator neck where you took the hose off. Now point the upper hose so it will drain on the ground. Water circulates from the bottom of the engine to the top radiator hose and down through the radiator cooling the water as it goes to the bottom like a water fall. What you are doing is FLUSHING and dirt in the cooling system from the engine to the ground. START ENGINE, LEAVE THE WATER HOSE IN THE TOP OF THE RADIATOR WITH JUST ENOUGH FLOW TO KEEP WATER CIRCULATING. This is not that hard, Let the engine run @ idle with the heater on so it will circulate until the water going to the ground is CLEAN, just understanding what it takes to get the system clean. JMHO and good luck.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advice,
I presume that the water pump works because the coolant moves constantly.
When i test without cap makes like a Vulcano....interval 1 sec.
From tailpipe...condensed in cold start. I have no horsepower lost or strange motor or mechanichal issues. Also passed the last technical inspecction before 1 month.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Southwind,
I get the general idea from your advice. I will do it.
It seems the cooling system is very sensible thing in this car.

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
Vulcano....interval one second?
While idling and up to temp with the radiator cap off, do you still get that ?
Do you see a constant stream of bubbles coming up?
Buffalo4

·
Super Moderator
3,201 Posts
Cooling systems are simple. A water and antifreeze solution, radiator and pump.
I've had radiator suffer massive internal failure restricting coolant flow causing over heating when being worked hard, pumps seize, coolant hose leaks and hose leaks to the heater matrix.
None of them on Honda products.
Have you been running plain water in the cooling system?
Year and miles on your car?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hello Buffalo4,
By idling nothing strange, but yes with bubbles.
The most visible thing are noise and bubbles in the reserve like a "Snorkel".
Im waiting the next days to perform the Flush stuff and see if i can normal temp again.
Thanks!
rocky, hi, now plain water, and didnt had issues 4 months.
I used -non sylicate- coolant before and had feeling that was not working...
Model 2000, Manual transm, 247.000 Km.
Thanks !

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
The bubbles can indicate a blown head gasket. Same with the bubbles in the reserve tank. Something is causing those bubbles.
That could also explain the coolant loss and overheating.
Can you see white smoke coming out of the exhaust? If so, that usually indicates coolant in the exhaust.ie: head gasket leaking, cracked or warped head, cracked block, etc
There are some test kits you can buy online or in a auto parts store, such as Auto Zone, etc that will test the coolant for the exhaust gases. I believe they actually test the acidity of the coolant. Google for more info.

Any chance the block could have frozen last winter?

Not the news you wanted to hear, I'm sure. :eek:
If it turns out to be just a head gasket and you have it repaired, be sure the valve adjustment is also done.
A compression test and a leak-down test can be use to help troubleshoot the location of the leak.
Don't spend money on unnecessary parts until you know what is needed.
Best of luck.
Buffalo4

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hello,
still overheating...

- i did flush whole system correctly.
- i replaced Temp. Sensor
- also i had a new Radiator in my garage i replaced it.

I had to take Thermostat out to go back to the city.

Now little different:

- Overheat 20 min. idle.
- cooling fans start better.
- Liquid seems sometimes to be pushed in Reserve tank and the back(when idle) when running seems to vaporice someway...

Note: i had it some months before, then suddenly turn stable again, seems its every 4 months... )

The only thing to change its water pump and radiator cap.

Thanks opinions, advices
Max

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hallo Buffalo4,
Im reading your post. Very helpful.
The car frozed last winter. Thats were all begon
Then some interventions all went normal and stabile i drove 1500 km without issue. Thats make me doubt.
If its mechanical...how could that again works...
Thanks

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
Go a buy a new quality radiator cap and install it. If that doesn't fix it then it most likely is a head gasket leak.
Why it seems to be intermittent, is another question.
You can buy a kit that test for exhaust gas in the coolant.
Buffalo4

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
You might even want to do some searching for things like Bars Blown Head Gasket Fix : http://barsleaks.com/product/head-gasket-fix/
Although most people I hear from think those kind of things don't work and can mess things up.
But, since your problem seems to start and stop, who knows.

The block freezing is most likely the cause and needs to be looked into.
Maybe the water pump is failing, but that is beyond me to think about how it can work for awhile and then not.
Still, an exhaust gas test of the coolant could well help diagnosing your problem. Here is a link to one. I have no experience with this product or similar:
http://www.blockchek.com/ There are a lot of different products out there to do the testing.
Find out now and you may save yourself a lot of money and time replacing parts that were functioning ok.
Bubbles (lots of them) in the coolant in the radiator neck with the cap off is almost certainly exhaust gas leaking into the coolant.

Buffalo4

1 - 15 of 15 Posts