Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday my wife was driving our 2017 CRV EX-L, and a significant amount of metadata info was missing on the instrument panel (in other words, in the lower-center portion of the screen where the speedometer is located - speedometer was working fine. The Head Unit screen wasn't showing any signs of life, either (radio/navigation/ etc.).

The instrument panel had a circular animated graphic of the type one might see when one's computer is trying to load up a web page on a slow connection. I'm including an image that looks like what I was seeing on the instrument panel, just so you get the idea.

Rebooting the head unit (holding volume knob down longer than 10 seconds) did nothing.

Eventually, turning the engine off (was shopping for a few minutes) and then back on restored normal functionality to everything.

Here's the type of image we were seeing on the instrument panel when this condition was present. Anyone else ever run into this?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Our 2019 likes to do this, but usually it means the Headunit is booting up. Haven't had an issue where the headunit doesn't boot at all.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Had a problem Sunday I'd never seen before. Car was in garage, 50+ degrees on car thermometer. Main display unit fine but the heads up was nothing but squiggly lines like an old tube tv that someone is trying to take over the signal. Think Outer Limits for you people my age. If I switched to fuel reading or maint. or anything else it was fine, just on the music display. Did this even after I turned off vehicle and restarted. Came out of church 2 hrs later, started car and problem was gone. Took a video so if does again I can show to dlr. Anyone else?

·
Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
4,882 Posts
Software, operating behind the scenes with hardware, is virtually NEVER bug free in fast moving consumer product development and production. Not to mention sensors that interact with said software.. and can themselves be glitched under some circumstances.

There are almost always some hidden conditional states left by the software engineer that can be triggered by just the right sequence of events. Sometimes it is just sloppy code, sometimes it is a set of conditions that can ocurr and the software engineer never coded for them, or did not code properly. The conditional something is... the easier it is for these to escape into the field.

This is the biggest long term issue and risk with the rapid advancement of electronics systems in motor vehicles. And I expect it will continue to persist across the industry.

When you have code that is run through mil spec quality controls and test valdidations..and then kept stable for many years.. you can eventually stomp all the bugs dead. When you are constantly changing configurations and features each year to please a rapidly evolving consumer demand.. you never get truly bug free software.

In most cases... a reboot (for a vehicle.. this is most often turn it off and turn it back on) solves the issue, and you may or may not ever trigger the bug event again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts