Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 Honda CR-V, with a naked roof apparently (no rails) and I would love to put a double tent cot on the roof for camping. Obvious it couldn't stay up there for driving, but the views from that high would be nice. I found the Kamp-Rite tent cot and thought maybe if I put a foam tube (pool noodle?) over each of the four leg bottoms it wouldn't damage the roof and wold spread the weight out. Any thoughts?? Would this work? Has anyone tried camping on the roof?

TB343-Double-Tentcot-open-470x361.jpg

·
Registered
776 Posts
OK, I'll ask the dumb question, why not just put it on the ground so you don't roll off in the middle of the night !!! Perhaps, one of the more hair-brained ideas I've seen in awhile !!! BTW, welcome to the Forum !! Can't wait to see your next idea !! Craig

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I would attach it to the vehicle so as not to blow off or slide off... :cool: The advantage to being on the roof is mainly for the views. The tent-cot also folds up to be a lounge chair, great for viewing fireworks or shooting stars... Yes, I come up with crazy ideas. Keeps life interesting. ;)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What I actually want is this:
roof-top-tent-bigfoot-overland.jpg
But I don't have the thousands of dollars required.

So yes, the tent-cot is a crazy idea..... but would it work??

·
Registered
776 Posts
I can hear the conversation at the country club when you walk into the locker room with a broken collar bone and arm in a sling !!
FG, what happened to you ??
Well, I was camping and fell out of bed !!
But FG, isn't your sleeping bag on the ground ??
Well, not exactly, I was in a tent pitched on the roof of my vehicle !!
The sheet metal is pathetic on new cars - hardly suitable for loads like this. How do you plan on scrambling up there ??? I'm guessing step ladder which of course you'll need to pack as well. I suppose the alternative is to climb up over the hood into your quarters. Try not to get your toes caught up in the grille - hurts like hell right before you fall back onto the ground.
Buy a pickup and pitch it in the bed !! Your idea would be a great source of uncontrollable laughter however. Craig

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello everybody,

i tested a tent from a friend in summer last year and also on eastern with pretty strong wind, temperatures around 0° Celsius and a little bit snow in the night in northern part of germany. It was great so i bought such a tent last year in november. But i didn´t take the hard cover tent. They are very good but expensive and more heavy. The regular roof top tent has a size from 1,4m x 2,4m inside (small size). Enough space to climb in and put some stuff around and leave the shoes at the entrance.
I made some tours with it & my son. Very good. The only thing is that i have no railing. So i have to put it in the middle of the car and fold it to the side of the car. But its ok. In the back you might loose a little space because of the side-opening back-door.
It´s great and good quality.
As soon as possible i will show some more pictures in the album so can see it...
Greetings
Ralf

·
Administrator
3,436 Posts
If there is a Thule or Yakima rack that works go for it.
My own bias is that RTT's are excessively priced for what they give you. But you can leave it on the roof when driving.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Just washing and waxing my CR-V will flex the roof sheet metal a little and then it will rebound. I cannot imagine putting a tent up there and then all of the added weight and 'activity'. Then accessing the roof top tent from the ground would be a challenge too. If you really do such a thing be sure to post a video clip of the before, during, and after. I'm guessing that the roof and other panels will have a beautiful moon-like surface to love for as long as you own the vehicle. Cheers!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just washing and waxing my CR-V will flex the roof sheet metal a little and then it will rebound. I cannot imagine putting a tent up there and then all of the added weight and 'activity'. Then accessing the roof top tent from the ground would be a challenge too. If you really do such a thing be sure to post a video clip of the before, during, and after. I'm guessing that the roof and other panels will have a beautiful moon-like surface to love for as long as you own the vehicle. Cheers!
The video would go viral in minutes

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
You would need rails that run length wise on the sides of the roof and the proper support kit to hold the weight. Not even a standard roof rack can hold the weight.

As for the naysayers, you guys need to come out from under the rocks your living in FFS. Roof top tent cots are actually widely used and popular not just for the views, but for safety to get off the ground and well elevated away from animals and insects that can be rather dangerous.

Problem is getting a set up that works for this specific CRV.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts