Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm new here but was hoping I could get some good answers. I have a 2004 CRV LX and it was typically making about 230 miles combined street/freeway on 11 gallons then suddenly last November 2013 I noticed the mileage getting a lot worse, barely 200 miles on 12 gallons which is about 16 mpg which is ridiculous! All of the maintenance and repairs are up to date and everything has been done that is needed so I don't know what to do. My repair guy said it could be Oxygen sensors but the check engine light has not come on at all and I don't want to do work that is not needed and will cost me money if it doesn't solve the problem. And if it does need need the new sensors any idea how much money that type of job costs? I am unemployed for over a year and am very tight on money so I need help in finding the problem because the gas costs are just too much. Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome to the forum. Was anything done before this happened? Is your front defrost always working or running? Let me know.
No nothing was done before this started happening, in fact I just had come back from a 500 RT trip in October and I had gotten good mileage on the trip. But then in November I noticed the mileage started going down between fillups. All maintenance has been done and mechanic checked regular things and said everything looked fine. I hardly ever use the defrost as I live in So California.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Never stated miles on vehicle.

On my Del Sol had same issue. MPG dropped suddenly. It ended up being "lazy O2 sensors. No check engine lamp ever. I did hook my scan gauge II in and noticed it stayed in open loop way more than it should. So I changed the O2 sensors.

It's really not a hard job to do and if you have a ratchet you can rent the tool from many parts stores. Many times it's just a $25 deposit ou get back.

For the part, get it yourself. It will be way cheaper and I've bought many from this site.

Rockauto.com

Use tworld in the where did you hear about us now for a 10% discount on the parts.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The car has 72,000 miles on it so pretty low for being 10 years old. I do not feel comfortable doing anything to my car myself, do not know anything about cars enough to open the hood and look under and tinker so I would need to take it in which is why I wanted to check with everyone because I cannot afford a big car expense right now.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The car has 72,000 miles on it so pretty low for being 10 years old. I do not feel comfortable doing anything to my car myself, do not know anything about cars enough to open the hood and look under and tinker so I would need to take it in which is why I wanted to check with everyone because I cannot afford a big car expense right now.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Also how many O2 sensors would I need, do I have to replace all of them or can one just go bad, how do you know which on is bad and needs replacing? I do not know one thing about this subject so I have to ask a lot of questions to understand this all.

·
Registered
72 Posts
If you are concerned about fuel mileage I would recommend getting a ScanGauge II.
This will allow you to do two things.
1. Check if your computer has set any DTC codes. (O2 sennsors etc...)
2. Monitor your MPG in real time.

ScanGauge II Ultra Compact 3-in-1 Automotive Computer with Customizable Real-Time Fuel Economy Digital Gauges
http://www.scangauge.com/

Good luck I hope you find what is the issue.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Any mechanic who can diagnose problems should be able to attach a professional scan tool to your OBD2 port. And he can read the voltage of your O2 sensor during idle, and different RPM states. If the readings go out of spec, then you replace them.

Guessing at O2 sensors isn't normal practice for professional mechanics.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts