Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2015 CR-V AWD. The vehicle is about 2 months old and has less than 800 miles on it. The car is supposed to get 28 mpg combined (26 city/33 highway) -- it has just reached its all time high of 19.1 mpg. Dealer has told me to bring it in when it reaches 1,000 miles. What can I do if Honda can't fix the problem? I bought the car specifically for the mileage. My fiance bought a Civic at the same time. I think it has the same engine and transmission. She is getting 31.5 mpg.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Windy neighborhood (wind at your back never helps nearly as much as the corresponding headwind hurts, especially the taller the car gets)? Lots of short trips from cold? Using sport mode all the time (I experimented with this, it's a very sizable hit because it keeps the rpm's high whether you need them or not)? How did your previous ride's fuel economy in practice compare to its EPA numbers? Doing 80mph+ on the freeway (the CR-V's fuel economy curve bends down faster than smaller, less CUV-like vehicles)? Is this the dash mpg number or calculated from the trip meter + fuel pump gallons dispensed (in my experience they agree within 1mpg most of the time, but worth making sure)?

19.1mpg equals the worst tank that my '15 EX AWD has had - that was back in February when a large fraction of its mileage consisted of 2 mile trips from (very) cold with the seat warmers on all the time.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
I have a 2015 CR-V AWD. The vehicle is about 2 months old and has less than 800 miles on it. The car is supposed to get 28 mpg combined (26 city/33 highway) -- it has just reached its all time high of 19.1 mpg. Dealer has told me to bring it in when it reaches 1,000 miles. What can I do if Honda can't fix the problem? I bought the car specifically for the mileage. My fiance bought a Civic at the same time. I think it has the same engine and transmission. She is getting 31.5 mpg.
The CRV has a 2.4 in it which is the same as the Accord. The Civic has a 1.8 in it.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have 3k miles. I'm getting 30+ average.... sometimes 33-34 mpg. I drive suburban areas... some freeway, some county rds, some city. Computer calc is always about 1 mpg higher than my manual calc. But I drive with ECO on, and strive for smoothness rather than sporty or aggressive styles. Summer temps, but it hasn't really been hot... very little A/C on.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
The Honda Earth Dreams Engine and CVT Transmission are all new for 2015, per Honda.
Driving habits are most important in obtaining good mpg. Use the Econ feature, start each drive with moderate acceleration, anticipate all stops, and drive at or under all posted speed limits. Use Top Tier 87 octane gasolines. Try to imagine an egg between your foot and the gas pedal. Drive so as not to break that egg! You may get to your destination a few minutes later, but you WILL get the desired results of the expected mpg. Cheers!

·
Registered
497 Posts
When the engine is cold you can expect to get 14mpg - it goes up a little until you make about 4 miles - then you get the mileage stated.

If you are going good distances (10 or more miles per trip) you might have a hung or dragging parking brake.

I drive with Econ on and A/C full blast with windows up and I have averaged over 32mpg on 31000 miles - short trips I get 14mpg, 1500 mile trips I get 40mpg - It takes about 2 hours of driving to get to the low 40 MPG.

Stop and go traffic will kill the gas mileage. I never drive at rush hour so I never kill my MPG.

·
Registered
267 Posts
On thing to consider is the energy content of the gasoline.

Once in a while I get a tankful that just disappears. Perhaps too much ethanol or water. I have no explanation, but I seen this many times.

·
Registered
141 Posts
You’re getting 19mpg on the CRV while your fiancé is getting 31mpg on the Civic. You can’t really draw any conclusions from that because it heavily depends on driving habits.
If possible, swap cars with your fiancé. If your fuel economy improves significantly and hers plummets, then there’s something wrong with the car. If not, then you just need to go a bit easy on the gas.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Ive managed low as 5.8 p100, didn't stay long there but the fact it got there was incredible. its usually in the high 6's
I just drive no more than 10 over limit, ac on sometimes, sometimes off.
unnamed.jpg

·
Registered
453 Posts
I am also getting bad mileage.

I currently have 5800 miles on my CRV EXL AWD.

The entire time I have had my CRV - I was getting between 19-22. If I spring for non-ethanol gas, I can get up to 24 MPG but that gas is more expensive and doesn't make sense in the long run.

I was told to wait until my engine was broken in by Honda dealership (around 5000 miles) and things haven't changed yet.

I have never driven in Sport mode. I have had this car during very cold and very warm temps. I have experimented with ECO turned on and it doesn't seem to make a difference. The vast majority of my driving is commuting to work and it is often stop and go traffic.

Honestly, I probably would not have been as disappointed but my sales person pumped up the gas mileage quite a bit and told me how much better it is verses 2014 models. Heck, hate to see what my mileage would be on a 2014 model.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
I am also getting bad mileage.

I currently have 5800 miles on my CRV EXL AWD.

The entire time I have had my CRV - I was getting between 19-22. If I spring for non-ethanol gas, I can get up to 24 MPG but that gas is more expensive and doesn't make sense in the long run.

I was told to wait until my engine was broken in by Honda dealership (around 5000 miles) and things haven't changed yet.

I have never driven in Sport mode. I have had this car during very cold and very warm temps. I have experimented with ECO turned on and it doesn't seem to make a difference. The vast majority of my driving is commuting to work and it is often stop and go traffic.

Honestly, I probably would not have been as disappointed but my sales person pumped up the gas mileage quite a bit and told me how much better it is verses 2014 models. Heck, hate to see what my mileage would be on a 2014 model.
If I'm in stop an go traffic I get the same as you in my '13. However, once I past 10,000 miles I noticed my fuel economy get better. On a trip to D.C. with just me and my wife I got 37 mpg's on the hwy. A couple months later we did the same trip and route with me, wife, mother in law, father in law, our dog, and two full suitcases and got 35 mpg's. This vehicle performs well on hwy trips, but all city it's meh.

·
Registered
453 Posts
If I'm in stop an go traffic I get the same as you in my '13. However, once I past 10,000 miles I noticed my fuel economy get better. On a trip to D.C. with just me and my wife I got 37 mpg's on the hwy. A couple months later we did the same trip and route with me, wife, mother in law, father in law, our dog, and two full suitcases and got 35 mpg's. This vehicle performs well on hwy trips, but all city it's meh.
Well - I hope it gets better after 10,000 miles.

When I drive on the interstate to the next city - about a 60 mile drive, it get around 26 MPG.

I did drive late at night and was lucky with the lights and drove about 45-50 through out town across town and was surprised my gauge registered 30 MPG. This doesn't happen often.

·
Registered
497 Posts
All Honda engines get lousy MPG/KPL starting a cold engine - the 1st 2 miles on my 2013, I am lucky to get 14 MPG but once warm I get in the 30's, when the transmission get really warmed up ( it takes about 2.5 hours to get warm enough to do this ) I have gotten in the 40's - look at my fuelly to see the difference - I can drive all across the state of Tennessee on one tank ( it is 460 miles on Interstate 40 from Arkansas to North Carolina ).

I think the 2015 gets worse MPG than the 2012-2014 because a true CVT would have a lot of variable ratios to select but people complained that it does not feel right so they simulate a 5 speed with it and that louses up the fuel efficiency. It does not hurt the EPA ratings as that is probably the worst tests devised fore real world. The need to drive 10 miles at rush hour at 90 degrees ( so the A/C is on high ) in a major US city ( raleigh or richmond for example on US 1 where there are 3.5 red lights per mile and you catch at least 2 each time in stop and go traffic. Then the city for most vehicles will be real world ( like 16-18 for the CRV and 9-11 for a Silverado or F150 )

for the Canadian and outside the USA owners, my 33 mpg converted to kpl ( you multiply miles per gallon by .425 to get kilometers per liter ) is 14 kpl. I have yet to figure out how to measure for the UK is it UK miles per gallon or UK miles per kilometer.

·
Registered
453 Posts
All Honda engines get lousy MPG/KPL starting a cold engine - the 1st 2 miles on my 2013, I am lucky to get 14 MPG but once warm I get in the 30's, when the transmission get really warmed up ( it takes about 2.5 hours to get warm enough to do this ) I have gotten in the 40's - look at my fuelly to see the difference - I can drive all across the state of Tennessee on one tank ( it is 460 miles on Interstate 40 from Arkansas to North Carolina ).

I think the 2015 gets worse MPG than the 2012-2014 because a true CVT would have a lot of variable ratios to select but people complained that it does not feel right so they simulate a 5 speed with it and that louses up the fuel efficiency.
While my mileage to work is not high - it takes me on average 45 minutes to work due to traffic :(.

That is very odd that your earlier model gets better gas mileage. Goes against what the sales info says. I guess it is reality though.

I am guessing it is how I drive. My mileage on my Camry was similar to what they posted, so I was probably spoiled.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I think the 2015 gets worse MPG than the 2012-2014
That's not the case though: in Fuelly, as of the time of writing, the 2012 gets 26.30±0.10mpg, the 2013 26.50±0.12mpg, the 2014 25.98±0.14 while the 2015 gets 27.40±0.23mpg. That's not the EPA-estimated jump of 3mpg, but it is real (presuming that there's no self-selection bias of 2012-14 vs 2015 owners registering with Fuelly or notably different geographic or AWD vs FWD distributions of sales, that is).

Besides that, the 2015's don't have as many break-in miles on them (the issue hinted at with the 2014 Fuelly numbers vs 2012 & 2013) and EPA measures after about 5,000 miles (see misconception #5).

because a true CVT would have a lot of variable ratios to select but people complained that it does not feel right so they simulate a 5 speed with it and that louses up the fuel efficiency. It does not hurt the EPA ratings as that is probably the worst tests devised fore real world.
Eh? It louses up fuel efficiency, but somehow does not hurt fuel efficiency ratings? Besides, if you look at Fuelly's aggregate numbers for a particular made, model and year they actually meet up surprisingly well with the EPA combined estimates.

The EPA test regime looks like this - the main problem I have with it is that the highway test doesn't get above 55mph and even the high speed test isn't awfully reflective of the 70mph+ limits across large swathes of the US.

The need to drive 10 miles at rush hour at 90 degrees ( so the A/C is on high ) in a major US city ( raleigh or richmond for example on US 1 where there are 3.5 red lights per mile and you catch at least 2 each time in stop and go traffic. Then the city for most vehicles will be real world ( like 16-18 for the CRV and 9-11 for a Silverado or F150 )
I know the EPA strives for simplicity, but they perform five tests and yet we only get three published numbers out of it. Even if they're not headline results, it'd still be good to be able to drill down to see these details somewhere. And how much could a wider variety of tests possibly cost anyway, especially since many of the tests are performed with a warm engine already?

for the Canadian and outside the USA owners, my 33 mpg converted to kpl ( you multiply miles per gallon by .425 to get kilometers per liter ) is 14 kpl. I have yet to figure out how to measure for the UK is it UK miles per gallon or UK miles per kilometer.
In the UK it's miles per imperial gallon, so take your US 33mpg and multiply it by 1.2 (almost exactly) to get 39.6mpg. Canada, large chunks of Europe plus a few other countries usually express fuel economy in terms of litres per 100km (presumably to avoid the impression that changing from a 40mpg to a 45mpg vehicle saves as much as going from a 15mpg vehicle to one which gets 20mpg). US 33mpg = 7.1l/100km.

·
Registered
7 Posts
2004 CR-V with 167k, manual transmission. I averaged about 16mpg last tank, driving back and forth pretty much only back and forth to work about 2 miles 1 way. I also do have 2 12s and a heavy speaker box in the back so maybe that is part of my issue.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts