Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

61 - 78 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Not sure if true, but a friend who ownes a Firestone tire shop, told me that oem tires are not necessarily the same composition as the ones he sells. He said he can enter some numbers off the tire and tell if it was oem or after market. Apparently when car manufacturers order as many tires as the do, they can specify the parameters and composition of the tire.
Anyone in the industry confirm?
That is more or less how it works.

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
So I have OEM Continentals with 23,725 miles right now. I just got them rotated this afternoon and still have 7/32 on all 4 tires. Not bad if I do say so myself.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Long Lasting but Noisy

I have a 2012 CR-V EX with 40,000 miles on the original Continental Crossover tires in place. I rotate them when I get around to it. They still have half their tread, but the car is so noisy when driving on rough the concrete and rough asphalt Interstates here in Washington state. I've been wishing they would wear out so I could get something quieter, but hate to throw good tires away. Then again I wonder if the tires are the problem with the noise, or is it the tinny car? I like the car and the tires, but the noise is really getting to me. Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
I have a 2012 CR-V EX with 40,000 miles on the original Continental Crossover tires in place. I rotate them when I get around to it. They still have half their tread, but the car is so noisy when driving on rough the concrete and rough asphalt Interstates here in Washington state. I've been wishing they would wear out so I could get something quieter, but hate to throw good tires away. Then again I wonder if the tires are the problem with the noise, or is it the tinny car? I like the car and the tires, but the noise is really getting to me. Any ideas?
There are a lot of tire threads on here and from what I've read the vehicle seems to get quieter with higher quality tires. Then again, some people aren't bothered by the road noise and others are. There are a lot of people on here who have high praises toward Michelin Defenders. I've also read great reviews on Continental True Contact.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have B F Goodrich Advantage TA tires on my 2010 and I am pleased with them. Quiet enough for me, good traction, and wearing well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I installed Continental True Contacts on my 2012 CR-V at 33k miles. The OEM tires were awful.

The True Contacts were rated number 1 on tirerack and I do see why they are so highly rated. The ride is so much quieter and so comfortable. Almost $700 down the hole, I do wish the OEM tires would have lasted longer.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Seems like this should be in the Tire Section but my 2 cents are my 16 EX came with Bridgestone Dualers A/S Sports (or something like that). Like the 05 Pilot I bought new and kept for 251K miles, the OEM tires are not very good. Tire Rack ratings from people indicate they are ok until it gets snowy, icy, etc. then they are worthless. When I looked the other day, the #1 tire for a CR-V appeared to be a Continental True Contact which rated great of everything and is cheaper than the Dualers that came on the vehicle.

·
Premium Member
382 Posts
2014 CRV EX-L: I have 30,000 miles on my original Continental tires and the tread wear is only down to 6. When I bought my car, 2.5 years ago, I had a free alignment check done by the dealer. Two of the wheels were out of alignment when I accepted the car. They realigned the tires and billed Honda for warranty work. I did have one of the tires replaced because of a nail in the sidewall.

·
Administrator
3,407 Posts
Going to be interesting to see how long the Dunlops last on my TRG. Haven't used that brand in over thirty years since I lived in England.

·
Registered
103 Posts
My 2016 LX with 17K miles, the continental crosscontact tires are down to 3/32, time for new tires. Not very happy with Honda for choosing a subpar tire. Honda should be able to choose a tire that can get at least 30K miles.

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
I was able to get 41K out of my OEM Continentals. They still had 4/32 when I replaced them. I was going on a 3K mile round trip, so I wanted good tires. I'm not sure why so many people get barely any life out of their OEM tires. Maybe not keeping proper psi or rotations?

·
Registered
103 Posts
I'm pretty meticulous about maintaining and keeping proper inflation/checks. I rotate and inspect the tires every 5K miles when I do my own oil changes. UPDATE: I called Continental and told them my situation. They said that new OEM warranties only cover defects but they would be willing to do a goodwill 50% credit at one of their authorized continental tire dealer stores. I took a few hours of my time but I finally found a tire store that was will to jump through the hoops to verify my Continental authorization but I'm getting new Continentals out the door for $300 (with the 50% credit). I'm not too happy about having to get Continentals but for out the door for $300 and the tire store guy said these Continentals would last much longer... we'll see.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I got 53,000 miles on my OEM Continentals - on my EX-L. the worst tire had 3/32nds - I rotate every oil change and I keep 38 lbs of pressure - not the puny 32 that Honda wants for better ride confort and poor tire life.

I hope I get that many with my Dunlop tires on my Touring.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have just put Continental Contact Tours on my 2010 CRV..super loud..NOT IMPRESSED 80,000 MILE tire..i reckon its a hard tire
Yep, fast forward exactly two years/22K miles from when I put on new Continental Crosscontacts and they are now at 4/32. NEVER again will I buy Continentals. I'm sure I could get another tread credit, but no thanks. I'm getting Kumho Solus which I've used on my Honda Element and they lasted nearly 50K miles and are very well priced. Good bye Continental.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yep, fast forward exactly two years/22K miles from when I put on new Continental Crosscontacts and they are now at 4/32. NEVER again will I buy Continentals. I'm sure I could get another tread credit, but no thanks. I'm getting Kumho Solus which I've used on my Honda Element and they lasted nearly 50K miles and are very well priced. Good bye Continental.

·
Registered
55 Posts
This is not just a problem with Honda. ALL Auto makers have short lived tires. 20-30K is about all you can get out of OEM tires.
Agree with tuktanuk. OEM tires are average at best. There is no incentive for manufacturers to supply better quality tires on new vehicles. One issue is cost to them, adding to the car's price. Those tires are installed just to get the car sold and off the lot.

61 - 78 of 78 Posts