Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's a manual transmission, excellent shape. I didn't find a deficit in horsepower (126) with the B20 engine, seemed fine for me with the 5 speed. It ran/drove excellent, smooth and easy shifting unlike the manual transmission 2002 Toyota Camry I test drove with a slipping clutch. The only thing I didn't like as suspected was the low 5th gear. There wasn't a highway nearby, so the highest speed I could get up to was about 62 mph. At the speed the engine was at about 3200 rpm, and was loud. Does anyone here have a Gen 1 5 speed manual? I wonder if that's something you got used to. I know the engines are designed to run like that all day long. I'd like to convince myself I'd get used to it too as I really liked that CR-V. For a 20 year old vehicle it seemed solid. I don't do a lot of highway driving. Looking at other vehicles, but it's still on the list.

·
Super Moderator - How may I help?
3,671 Posts
It's a manual transmission, excellent shape. I didn't find a deficit in horsepower (126) with the B20 engine, seemed fine for me with the 5 speed. It ran/drove excellent, smooth and easy shifting unlike the manual transmission 2002 Toyota Camry I test drove with a slipping clutch. The only thing I didn't like as suspected was the low 5th gear. There wasn't a highway nearby, so the highest speed I could get up to was about 62 mph. At the speed the engine was at about 3200 rpm, and was loud. Does anyone here have a Gen 1 5 speed manual? I wonder if that's something you got used to. I know the engines are designed to run like that all day long. I'd like to convince myself I'd get used to it too as I really liked that CR-V. For a 20 year old vehicle it seemed solid. I don't do a lot of highway driving. Looking at other vehicles, but it's still on the list.
I've never driven a Gen 1 CR-V, but that was an issue I also had with a 2001 Civic EX 5 speed. Was very annoying on the highway, so we rarely took it there, and relegated it to mostly local driving. I don't remember what exactly the highway RPMs were but it was higher than I would have liked.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
I had a 1999 CR-V EX 5 speed that I bought new and drove for 10 years.
I was living in Indiana at the time, and it made several trips to Rochester, New York, one trip to Bar Harbor, Maine, another to Key West, Florida, and one to Kitty Hawk and the Outer Banks in North Carolina.
It was a bit noisy at freeway speeds, but not bad...just turn up stereo. ;)

The main thing with the 1st Gen B20 engines is to adjust the valves regularly.
And if you're buying used, maintenance records showing regular valve adjustments are very important.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've never driven a Gen 1 CR-V, but that was an issue I also had with a 2001 Civic EX 5 speed. Was very annoying on the highway, so we rarely took it there, and relegated it to mostly local driving. I don't remember what exactly the highway RPMs were but it was higher than I would have liked.
This probably would be relegated to mostly local driving - but ya never know. I remember riding in a friend's Civic, on the highway it certainly was up there, at least 3300-3400 if I recall correctly. I remember looking at the tach and thinking it was slightly more than my (at the time) 1998 Subaru Outback 5 speed manual. So many vehicles are like that - never understood the engineering to justify it. Sure it's not good to lug an engine, but the ones I've experienced could safely get away with less rpms as they do with the automatics with the same engine.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had a 1999 CR-V EX 5 speed that I bought new and drove for 10 years.
I was living in Indiana at the time, and it made several trips to Rochester, New York, one trip to Bar Harbor, Maine, another to Key West, Florida, and one to Kitty Hawk and the Outer Banks in North Carolina.
It was a bit noisy at freeway speeds, but not bad...just turn up stereo. ;)

The main thing with the 1st Gen B20 engines is to adjust the valves regularly.
And if you're buying used, maintenance records showing regular valve adjustments are very important.

Yea - a good stereo is key! If I did buy it and replace it (a single CD player) I'd probably go with a memory stick/card player. So you dealt with it over very long distances and amount of time. I suppose I could too. I guess I like the slight crudeness of the thing. Kind of how my Forester was with the flat 4, sounding a bit like a VW Beetle (original one with the same config, but air cooled). The other factor is the cost - $3000 - that's a bargain for that CR-V with that mileage in these parts.

·
Registered
81 Posts
i have an 01 and regularly commute an hour each way, and recently did a 7 hour round trip, i dont find it to be a problem at all. but i suppose im used to somewhat louder cars? most of what ive owned has been from the 80's. I just dont really notice it tbh.

yes i think my rpm is about 3500 at 65mph which is a bit high, but its just the way they are geared. there is a way to add a 6th gear from another honda if you really want to get those revs down. i believe perhaps the gearing is the way it is to make it somewhat more driveable offroad. that said, i do get 25mpg and the engine seems fine at that rpm for hours, these small "under powered" japanese engines are designed to run like that all day long.

i wouldnt let that discourage you from buyong it, they are great vhicles.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I guess it can't be all that bad then if you drive it for prolonged periods like that. Knowing that the it's not detrimental to the engine helps too. Getting 25mpg is certainly acceptable in an AWD SUV.

if you don't mind and have a chance I'd be curious to see what rpms you're at when going 65mph. I couldn't quite get it to that speed. The noise probably isn't as bad as the '98 Outback I had that ran at those rpms - I think a Honda engine runs/sounds smoother than a flat 4.

The consensus seems to be yes it's loud - but not so much to be discouraging.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts