Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just felt the engine noise was louder than my 2016 Tucson. Was it just me or is there a lot of engine noise when accelerating? It's such a short test drive that its hard to get a good feel for it.

That and the weird middle console sliding tray were the only issues I noticed.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Not having driven the Tucson I have no base to compare, but I think my EX-L is quiet on the highway. At 65 MPH you are only running at about 2000 RPM which would be 3400 RPM in my 2004 CR-V.

Did you mean engine noise or road noise when accelating? They are two different animals. Road noise varies from road surface and tires, overinflated tires can amplify road noise. As far as the engine goes, it is quieter than either of the Saab turbos that I have owned.

The console took a little getting used to, but I'm finding the functionality is better than I first thought.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Not having driven the Tucson I have no base to compare, but I think my EX-L is quiet on the highway. At 65 MPH you are only running at about 2000 RPM which would be 3400 RPM in my 2004 CR-V.

Did you mean engine noise or road noise when accelating? They are two different animals. Road noise varies from road surface and tires, overinflated tires can amplify road noise. As far as the engine goes, it is quieter than either of the Saab turbos that I have owned.

The console took a little getting used to, but I'm finding the functionality is better than I first thought.
I guess it was more engine noise than road. I just felt it was loud when accelerating. I was able to take it on the highway and the road noise wasn't bad.

But I think you are right and this is a very subjective topic.

So, i see the console slides back into the arm rest. But from what i get out it if you have too much stuff in the arm rest the thing wouldn't be able to slide back? has that been an issue? I know the solution is to have less junk in there but you know how small things accumulate.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Agree with Jeffgriz, the engine is very quiet when cruising. I think the noise you were hearing is the intake resonator that sits on top of the engine. It makes a growling noise when accelerating.

·
Registered
600 Posts
I guess it was more engine noise than road. I just felt it was load when accelerating. I was able to take it on the highway and the road noise wasn't bad.

But I think you are right and this is a very subjective topic.

So, i see the console slides back into the arm rest. But from what i get out it if you have too much stuff in the arm rest the thing wouldn't be able to slide back? has that been an issue? I know the solution is to have less junk in there but you know how small things accumulate.
That hasn't been an issue for me. Some people have purchased little organizers and repurposed them to keep things more accessible in the cavity below the sliding deck. If this were my wife's car that would be a necessity.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I just felt the engine noise was louder than my 2016 Tucson. Was it just me or is there a lot of engine noise when accelerating? It's such a short test drive that its hard to get a good feel for it.

That and the weird middle console sliding tray were the only issues I noticed.
For a Honda, it is okay, but noise is a good bit worse than much of the competition.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I haven't driven a recent Tucson.

I've driven both the 2.4 and 1.5 versions of the CR-V. I thought the turbo engine sounded more coarse and noisy. The 2.4 version's engine seemed quieter to me.

We own a turbo Civic sedan as well. In that car, too, the turbo engine is gruff. If you drive a turbo Civic back to back with the NA variant, the NA car comes across as quieter and more refined as far as the engine goes.

Whatever the strong points of the 1.5T are, pleasant or refined engine sound is not one. It is what it is, and you noticed it.

There is a huge difference in acceleration, turbo to non-turbo Civic. I was surprised to find no significant difference when comparing the two CR-V engines. Seat of the pants, they felt very similar as far as acceleration / pick up. I went into the CR-V buying process expecting to definitely like the turbo powerplant better, and I had to admit after several test drives of both back to back that there was little difference. The reason to buy the EX or above is because you want the options. Engines alone, not enough difference to sway the decision.

Road noise suppression has never been Honda's strong point. The CR-V does a decent job of it, but is nothing outstanding or especially quiet. I'd say it's about as quiet as the average new car. By Honda's historical standards, the CR-V is quiet as a tomb, but that's mainly because Hondas are usually on the noisy side.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I haven't driven a recent Tucson.

I've driven both the 2.4 and 1.5 versions of the CR-V. I thought the turbo engine sounded more coarse and noisy. The 2.4 version's engine seemed quieter to me.

We own a turbo Civic sedan as well. In that car, too, the turbo engine is gruff. If you drive a turbo Civic back to back with the NA variant, the NA car comes across as quieter and more refined as far as the engine goes.

Whatever the strong points of the 1.5T are, pleasant or refined engine sound is not one. It is what it is, and you noticed it.

There is a huge difference in acceleration, turbo to non-turbo Civic. I was surprised to find no significant difference when comparing the two CR-V engines. Seat of the pants, they felt very similar as far as acceleration / pick up. I went into the CR-V buying process expecting to definitely like the turbo powerplant better, and I had to admit after several test drives of both back to back that there was little difference. The reason to buy the EX or above is because you want the options. Engines alone, not enough difference to sway the decision.

Road noise suppression has never been Honda's strong point. The CR-V does a decent job of it, but is nothing outstanding or especially quiet. I'd say it's about as quiet as the average new car. By Honda's historical standards, the CR-V is quiet as a tomb, but that's mainly because Hondas are usually on the noisy side.
Thank you. A lot of good points in there. Having never owned a Honda I didn't know what to expect.

I think we would have to go with an EX or Touring to get the leather seats. Thats one of the "must haves" for the wife.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I can hear the growl of my wife's CRV as she pulls up to the house, before she opens the garage door. There seems to be a low frequency resonance or vibration just above idle speed that cuts through walls. However, on the road it is definitely quieter than the Volvo V70 it replaced. Hard acceleration does not seem too noisy either, at least to my old ears.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Thank you. A lot of good points in there. Having never owned a Honda I didn't know what to expect.

I think we would have to go with an EX or Touring to get the leather seats. Thats one of the "must haves" for the wife.
I think you meant EX-L, the EX does not have leather. EX-L is offered with or without navigation.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I actually kinda like the growl... It makes it sound like a much bigger engine to me. It's almost humorous to hear the growl and then look under the hood to see this tiny engine under there. It all depends on what you want I guess. The growl probably appeals to a younger, male demographic while the female and/or older generation folks just want a quiet ride.

·
Registered
30 Posts
We took a Tucson for a couple of days from a local dealer for an extended test drive - and ended up with the CRV. The Tucson felt like a tin box and we didn't like the transmission. Although the Tucson is faster and handles better , the CRV is more refined , solid construction, quieter(when cruising) and more comfortable + the cargo hold is substantially larger. And CRV resale should be much better.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
We took a Tucson for a couple of days from a local dealer for an extended test drive - and ended up with the CRV. The Tucson felt like a tin box and we didn't like the transmission. Although the Tucson is faster and handles better , the CRV is more refined , solid construction, quieter(when cruising) and more comfortable + the cargo hold is substantially larger. And CRV resale should be much better.
From the numbers I have read in various tests the CR-V is the faster vehicle and handles better.
The CR-V gets MUCH better fuel economy ratings.
The CR-V resale value is better, much better. I compared a 2012 Tucson to a 2012 CR-V on KBB.com and the CR-V was on average worth about $4,000 more. This has been pretty typical when I have compared them on other models also.

Hands down the CR-V is the better long term value.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Here we go again. Bashing the competition. Just can't help it?
An objective comparison is not "bashing". Or if you were referring to my post, I was simply stating my opinion about the current state of their company and I am speaking from personal experience. It has now been more than 5 weeks since the engine died in my 2013 Hyundai with 54k miles. It has been sitting at the dealership since then with no eta on when a new engine will be available. That's not "bashing". That's a fact.

·
Registered
430 Posts
An objective comparison is not "bashing". Or if you were referring to my post, I was simply stating my opinion about the current state of their company and I am speaking from personal experience. It has now been more than 5 weeks since the engine died in my 2013 Hyundai with 54k miles. It has been sitting at the dealership since then with no eta on when a new engine will be available. That's not "bashing". That's a fact.
Wow, 54k miles with an engine failure. What's the cause? Why isnt Hyundai replacing the engine ASAP? Are they at least providing a loaner? I'm genuinely curious. Please share what you can. Thanks.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
380 Posts
Wow, 54k miles with an engine failure. What's the cause? Why isnt Hyundai replacing the engine ASAP? Are they at least providing a loaner? I'm genuinely curious. Please share what you can. Thanks.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Mine is just one of many in the same boat (Google 'Hyundai engine recall'). It started with the Sonatas and now recently they have admitted that Santa Fe's are effected too (my vehicle). Hyundai can't keep up with the demand for replacement engines. There is even a whistle blower saying that they still haven't reveiled the true cause for the engine failures. So we don't even know if replacing the engine will fix the problem.
Just this past week another recall was announced for the hood latch because it might fail on the highway causing the hood to fly up.
These are all very serious issues. So again, not bashing... Just warning

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
No issues with my Tucson. Granted it only has 16k miles on it.

They will get the new engine in there. This is why warranties exist.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts