Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So...I finally got to test drive one this afternoon, and my first impression on the drive (power) was just....ok.
Note that I am coming from driving a Pilot w/ a V6....so I did take that in consideration.

I'm not familiar with this turbo engine and the CVT wasn't as bad as I thought it would. However, I am pretty impressed with the passenger/cargo space.
The infotainment was ok, not as good as the KIA/Hyundai (imho).

I would still probably purchase this, if we all agree on the price. They're offering $28800 right now, but I told them that they can probably do better.
I am not in a hurry and don't need to purchase it unless I get a great deal.

·
Registered
2019 CR-V EX
1,075 Posts
So...I finally got to test drive one this afternoon, and my first impression on the drive (power) was just....ok.
Note that I am coming from driving a Pilot w/ a V6....so I did take that in consideration.

I'm not familiar with this turbo engine and the CVT wasn't as bad as I thought it would. However, I am pretty impressed with the passenger/cargo space.

I would still probably purchase this, if we all agree on the price. They're offering $28800 right now, but I told them that they can probably do better.
Did you test drive a brand new CR-V? Mine was fairly gutless when I drove it home but after a few hundred miles, the power was on the increase. I drove my friend's 2017 EX before I bought mine. His was obviously broken in. It drove fine in Economy mode but when I put it in Sport mode, it woke up nicely and I was impressed. In short, his had all the power I would ever need.

That said, this vehicle is designed around utility and fuel economy. It's fun to drive, it does have impressive interior space, and it gets mid 30 MPGs (and higher). I'm loving mine.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you test drive a brand new CR-V? Mine was fairly gutless when I drove it home but after a few hundred miles, the power was on the increase. I drove my friend's 2017 EX before I bought mine. His was obviously broken in. It drove fine in Economy mode but when I put it in Sport mode, it woke up nicely and I was impressed. In short, his had all the power I would ever need.

That said, this vehicle is designed around utility and fuel economy. It's fun to drive, it does have impressive interior space, and it gets mid 30 MPGs (and higher). I'm loving mine.
Yes, it was a brand new one (not their normal demo models).
I wanted to see the black leather on the MSM, and the person helping me out got one from the lot that I ended up driving.

Definitely an improvement (tech wise) from what I've been driving.

·
Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
7,554 Posts

The gen5 CRV with a 1.5T drives different then past CRVs. If you lean in to the throttle more from a stop.. the goal being to push the engine to around 2000-2500 rpm.. I think you will find it quite peppy. The way the throttle is tuned.. it tends to be soft on perceived power from a stop, and so you need to goose it a bit to wake it up.

Oddly, this engine also gets a bit better overall mpg if you lean into the throttle to get the vehicle up past 25 mph quickly... which is kind of counter intuitive to normal habits for acceleration from a stop for fuel economy. This is because the engine fuel economy hits it's sweet spot at around 25 mpg and above.... until you reach 60+ and suffer more from wind resistance. So, lean in.. get up to speed, and then ease back and watch the instantaneous mpg display settle in between 35-45 mpg even in town.

This is the first powertrain by Honda where they actually have the engine and CVT well mated and tuned together. Earlier engines did not reach full torque until over 4K rpm.. but this 1.5T reached full torque at around 2K, and stays essentially flat all the way past 4K, so it feeds the CVT very well (CVTs thrive on torgue, not horsepower).

Similarly, the 2.0T big brother of the 1.5T, that is an option on Accords.... responds almost identical to Honda's older V6s. I doubt we will ever see the 2.0T in the CRV though... as that means it eats into the acura RDX market niche, and Honda is trying hard to grow the Acura line these days and will not want to canibalize it with their Honda lineup.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The gen5 CRV with a 1.5T drives different then past CRVs. If you lean in to the throttle more from a stop.. the goal being to push the engine to around 2000-2500 rpm.. I think you will find it quite peppy. The way the throttle is tuned.. it tends to be soft on perceived power from a stop, and so you need to goose it a bit to wake it up.

Oddly, this engine also gets a bit better overall mpg if you lean into the throttle to get the vehicle up past 25 mph quickly... which is kind of counter intuitive to normal habits for acceleration from a stop for fuel economy. This is because the engine fuel economy hits it's sweet spot at around 25 mpg and above.... until you reach 60+ and suffer more from wind resistance. So, lean in.. get up to speed, and then ease back and watch the instantaneous mpg display settle in between 35-45 mpg even in town.

This is the first powertrain by Honda where they actually have the engine and CVT well mated and tuned together. Earlier engines did not reach full torque until over 4K rpm.. but this 1.5T reached full torque at around 2K, and stays essentially flat all the way past 4K, so it feeds the CVT very well (CVTs thrive on torgue, not horsepower).

Similarly, the 2.0T big brother of the 1.5T, that is an option on Accords.... responds almost identical to Honda's older V6s. I doubt we will ever see the 2.0T in the CRV though... as that means it eats into the acura RDX market niche, and Honda is trying hard to grow the Acura line these days and will not want to canibalize it with their Honda lineup.
Thanks for the insight. If I end up getting this vehicle, I'll be sure to keep this in mind.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts