Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll be in the market in the next couple of months (Sept onward) to replace my Altima.

My in-laws have a 2011 CR-V and it's very nice. I saw that the 2012 was redesigned, so I stopped in, had a look, and drove one. very nice!

I'm thinking by the time I'm actually going to buy the 2013's may be out. Be curious to see what tweaks may be done.

Thinkg of going all the way with an EXL AWD Nav ;)

Kept my last car in great shape for ten years. That's my plan again!

·
Registered
77 Posts
They say the 2013 Accords are going to have a new radio with a HondaLink app for your phone. Not sure if they will try to put that in any other Honda just yet or if they will just wait until the next generation of the vehicle to add that. Other than that, I'm not sure they will change anything. They might have some deals for the 2012's when the new year models come out though.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yah, will just have to wait and see. Won't be able to pull the trigger until sept. at the earliest. So may as well see what the 2013's may have. Or maybe get a better deal on a 2012 ;-)

One thing I was pondering regarding the CRV....is it just me or is it strange that there is no remote release for the rear tailgate? Or did I miss it? :eek:

·
Registered
2 Posts
I would save the approx. $2,200 on the NAVI upgrade and get a smartphone. The version of IOS for Iphone coming this fall will have voice prompt navigation like the Androids have now. The additional voice control you get is a cute toy but I found that I quit using it much on the 2010 Accord I got rid of to get my CRV. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yah, jury's out on the Nav. EXL or EXLw/nav is only about $800 more OTD. Not a killer. I'll be driving both versions again. I also tend to keep my vehicles a very long time, so if I won't short change myself for the long run.

What I find benficial with the Nav is with, ahem, slightly aging eyes :rolleyes: the larger screen is appreciated, even for just the back up camera. It's not like I'm blind or anything, lol.

I do have a iPhone4 and plan to upgrade to the next model. I also have an iPad (latest version) with cellular. Has worked ok when I'm a passenger navigating, but not so well when driving. iOS6 will be a welcome advancement.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Boy they tend to mark things up more in my area. CRV-s are extremely popular here in Tx. I just drove mine to Rocky Mountain National Park and you would have sworn some place there was renting 2012 CRV's. I wish I'd had a nickel for everyone I saw.

The backup camera is really awesome. I still don't trust it 100% getting me between vehicles but I back in to parking spots at work a lot just because the camera is so cool. I line up the guidelines between the strips and I'm right on target every time I check.

I don't keep my cars long, I've decided that I'm an addict and my drug of choice is cars. Maybe I need rehab.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
LOL, I hear you! On my way home yesterday I don't know how many CRV's I saw (different gen's). But a lot of Gen3's and 4's. On top of that, Honda's out numbered other cars like 5 to 1. Freaky.

I know the sticker difference of adding Nav was lot more, but I think $800 may have been the difference OTD. I told him I wasn't paying crazy $$ for Nav. Guess it's all relative :)

I think using the back up camera is going to take some serious getting used to. I like the different views.

I'm quite proficient with my car after close to ten years. I have to parellel park in my own driveway each day, so I'm a whiz at that :p I know where it fits, and I know how to use my mirrors.

In my younger days I was a car junkie. I can't tell you how many times I've been tempted to switch to leasing just to have a new car every couple of years.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just have to weigh in on this timely topic. We bought a 2012 CRV in March and love the car. But REALLY miss the built in Navi like we had in the Acura TL which we traded in. Just last week we were on a 5 day/1000 mile trek and the car rode beautifully. But at least 3 times we were a bit lost and would have loved to have easy access to the Navi. I did pull out my iPhone and use TomTom but just not the same. So....we decided in 2 years we are trading in for a new model w/Navi no matter the extra cost.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Spend a $100 and buy a garmin GPS!!!! Much cheaper to update the maps with it than what Honda will want! Plus I can take my Garmin anywhere in the world and can get Free maps for it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Garmin or TomTom, you can take it in any car, I got the waterproof one so I can take it touring on my motorcycle too. You can get very nice mounts put in too. It adds an extra screen, so its like having some kind of display that shows information on multiple screens. Or "iMID" as I like to call it... All for a few hundo $

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So in preparation I've been poking around on line at different dealers. Have not asked for quotes. Have stated my time frame honestly.

One sent me an offer on a 2012 EXL AWD w/Nav for $28,783. That's roughly $2100 below sticker. Hmm, has my attention.

Now there's also dealer who offers life time powertrain warranty. How can they do that?? If I go there, what questions should I ask? Is this just a marketing ploy?

·
Registered
633 Posts
I wont blab much too on this....but when I bought my 2011, I emailed close to 20 dealers in the DC region (VA//DC//MD) and you would be surprised in the differences!!! Ended up buying in MD. Most relaxed car buying experience ever. But hey, if you enjoy talking to car salesman,lol

1 - 13 of 13 Posts