Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This afternoon I test drove the 2017 AWD Touring at AutoNation Honda (Lithia Springs, Georgia)... If it'd been white/beige I'd probably have bought it right then, but it was black and that's not great in the South during the summer. But, they have a white/beige at a sister dealership, and it should be headed here for me.

I was shocked that they got three 2017s in today, but apparently some dealers are getting them in earlier than expected. AutoNation is about a half-hour drive for me, and there's a Honda dealer less than two miles from me that knows I want the 2017, but AutoNation was first, and is giving me a great trade-in for my 2007 Toyota Highlander.

My Highlander is in great shape, but the 2017 CR-V has all those great safety features, better fuel economy, and Android Auto, and I can cover a car payment. So I should soon be an owner of a 2017 CR-V.

So, will the powers that be here on this site soon add 2017 as an option when registering?

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD
3,773 Posts
We asked Autoguide earlier today for the 2017 year. option.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Care to give us some driving impressions? Saying you are going to buy one is a pretty good endorsement, but details would be nice :D

·
Registered
18 Posts
Test drove a black with beige interior touring this afternoon. Much improved acceleration than prior generation. Improved interior noise when at idle and freeway speeds, however when you punch it there is noticeable engine noise. Driver visibility appears to be enhanced by smaller A pillars. Handling is firm and responsive but tales the bumps well. Nice large sliding center armrest. The display for navigation/radio is crisp and bright, also visible in direct sunlight. The premium radio system on the touring is not that great (Subaru Outback is the best I have heard in this price range). I just wish it had the panoramic sun roof, heated steering wheel, and better premium sound system. Overall, I am impressed with premium feel, MPG, acceleration, and safety features.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What Honda 5280 said, pretty much, but I have no experience with previous CR-Vs, and I'm not a performance driver, especially after driving a 2007 Toyota Highlander Limited for just under 10 years, so put my comments in context.

I wasn't thrilled by the visibility to the rear, but with the blind spot alerting and the backup camera I expect to get used to it quickly and it shouldn't be a problem.

Handling was crisp and responsive, far better than my current car, but not quite as good as I recall my 1999 Passat Wagon to have been (but that could be due to how much more I missed the handling of that car after getting the Highlander). Nice and quiet, and yes I heard the engine when "punching it," but it wasn't overly loud and seemed appropriate to the good acceleration. I didn't try all the safety features, but those I did (LKAS, BSI, RDM, ACC) all gave me a sense of confidence that the car was "looking out" for me. Adaptive cruise control seemed to work well.

Controls seem well placed. On my Highlander the ventilation controls are only through the touchscreen, so it's great that there are also buttons for fan speed. The map display seemed better than my current car, and the sound system seemed pretty good, but I didn't spend a lot of time on them. The controls on the steering wheel seem well placed and useful, not overwhelming as on some other cars I've test driven.

The interior seemed much more upscale than my current car. The small amount of wood seemed to actually be wood, while in my current car it's clearly plastic. The seat warmer definitely did it's job. Air vents seem well placed, with good air volume at high fan speed, and much quieter than my current car.

I hope this is helpful!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Test drove a black with beige interior touring this afternoon. Much improved acceleration than prior generation. Improved interior noise when at idle and freeway speeds, however when you punch it there is noticeable engine noise. Driver visibility appears to be enhanced by smaller A pillars. Handling is firm and responsive but tales the bumps well. Nice large sliding center armrest. The display for navigation/radio is crisp and bright, also visible in direct sunlight. The premium radio system on the touring is not that great (Subaru Outback is the best I have heard in this price range). I just wish it had the panoramic sun roof, heated steering wheel, and better premium sound system. Overall, I am impressed with premium feel, MPG, acceleration, and safety features.
I think only the Canadians get the heated steering wheel and panoramic sunroof options. Tis a mystery to me why Honda does that.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I think only the Canadians get the heated steering wheel and panoramic sunroof options. Tis a mystery to me why Honda does that.
You don't know you need a heated steering wheel until you have one. That is one of the things I miss that was on my 2011 Kia Optima I had. The Kia had a heated steering wheel, memory seats with heat and cooling, panoramic stunroof, and some other stuff not available on a CRV. The fuel mileage and outward visability are the reasons I have a CRV and not a Sportage.

·
Registered
28 Posts
My wife and I sat in a 2017 Touring with the Sales Person here in MD. I have a 2015 Odyssey Elite, loaded, and absolutely hate the installed Navi, instead using Waze on my phone.

I was so happy to see the new CR-V has a Garmin Navi system and it able to update from a download to a Thumb Drive!

I have had great experiences with Garmin GPS's.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Is that a free download for the updates? I've been using Google Maps rather than pay Honda $100 or $150 (whatever it is) for each update DVD.
I'm not positive. My wife were sitting in this car we'd never seen before and we simply were overloaded with information. My wife and I remember "something" was "free" for five years - our best recollection is that five year freebie was for traffic and other features on the Satellite Radio. Again, we believe that the thumb drive updates are "free" for life.

I hope someone that really knows will weigh in!

BTW, I had a terrible experience in updating my Navi on my 13 month old 2015 Odyssey Elite. Ended up getting my 157 refunded and I had to pay $13 to ship the defective CDs back. I'll stick to using waze on the Odyssey.

I love Garmin.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Is that a free download for the updates? I've been using Google Maps rather than pay Honda $100 or $150 (whatever it is) for each update DVD.
Better answer then my previous:

"This all-new navigation system, developed with Garmin, offers many improvements, including enhanced graphics, live search, speed limit display, customized vehicle icons, 3D buildings and terrain, and more. The system includes free map database updates for up to 5 years (initial purchase plus one yearly update each year for 4 years). The system includes the HD Digital Traffic feature, which alerts the driver to current traffic conditions and can display alternate routes around gridlock. It features expanded coverage including many surface streets within the U.S., allowing the driver to choose faster, less congested routes. HD Digital Traffic is subscription-free."

·
Registered
18 Posts
Better answer then my previous:

"This all

This is good news! Thanks for sharing. Been using Garmin for past several years and find it to be the most reliable navigation system. It comes only on the EX-L with Nav or Touring. The sales person said it was almost a $1K price difference from EX-L to EX-L Nav. Almost forced to go ahead and buy the touring model.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
10,752 Posts
The model-year listing in the PROFILE section has been updated to allow you to select the 2017 CR-V!

·
Registered
11 Posts
This afternoon I test drove the 2017 AWD Touring at AutoNation Honda (Lithia Springs, Georgia)... If it'd been white/beige I'd probably have bought it right then, but it was black and that's not great in the South during the summer. But, they have a white/beige at a sister dealership, and it should be headed here for me.

I was shocked that they got three 2017s in today, but apparently some dealers are getting them in earlier than expected. AutoNation is about a half

I'm waiting on the new CRVs to hit our dealership which is supposed to be this week. Any pricing info you can share on the Touring? I am planning on the touring AWD. Thanks.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Answering questions:

Pricing was basically list. And I've been told by a couple of other dealers that there are no discounts, and won't be for a while. As far as I know the 2017 isn't assailable through buying programs (USAA, Costco, etc.), but I'm going to check again.

I didn't notice any turbo spool, but I may not be the best person to ask.

And an update on my attempt to purchase the car: Auto Nation told me their sister dealership had already sold the model I want (AWD Touring, White/Ivory), but they found one in another state and I should have it by the end of this week or early next week. I also checked with another dealer, which told me there are no White/Ivory AWD Touring in the computer scheduled for delivery, and they couldn't promise there would be one available even by early February. So I don't know if I'll be getting my car soon, or if it will be a long wait.

·
Registered
284 Posts
You don't know you need a heated steering wheel until you have one.
Most definitely. My '17 Ridgeline is my first vehicle with a heated steering wheel and it has become one of the most appreciated features. It's an incredible sensation to use remote start on a "cold" (that's relative - below 50°F/10°C is cold to me here in Texas) and have the steering wheel, seats, and interior warm when I get inside the vehicle. It's a huge waste of fuel, but what price comfort? :)

If I purchase another CR-V, the heated steering wheel accessory will be a requirement.

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD
3,773 Posts
2017 is now listed as a year. Please update your profiles

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.