Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So apparently the 4th Gen AWDs have an AWD light in the dash. How can I induce this light to turn on? Is there a way to test and see if my AWD system is working fine? Thanks!

·
Registered
77 Posts
You could always find a muddy hill and see if you can drive up it. :) That's kind of what I did. I rolled down the windows and watched to see if the back tires would kick up rocks while I was going up this steepish loose gravel roadish. I don't think I ever saw the light come on though. Is it for when something is wrong with the AWD? I did get the traction control light to come on once when I tried to fish tale around this turn on a gravel road. Traction control kicked in and the rear wheels kept too much grip and took all the fun out of it. Need to get an old Civic so I can have some fun around that road again.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I don't think you would ever want that AWD light to come on during a drive...means something is wrong.
+1 here. AWD is meant to be transparent to the Driver. VSA is the one that lights up if it is on. I've owned plenty of AWD CUV/SUV's and none of them have ever used a light to tell me: " Hey Pal; your ass is slipping so I'm engaging other wheels to drive". My Subaru was a bit easier to tell as when the AWD was active; it would grab like glue and you would right the car really quick and there would be a light "thunk" in the rear end when it dis-engaged. The 12 CR-V actually uses the AWD VERY frequently now. Each time the car begins motion from a stop; the AWD is engaged. The bottom line!? If the AWD light is on; you are in trouble.

·
Registered
51 Posts
You could always find a muddy hill and see if you can drive up it. :) That's kind of what I did. I rolled down the windows and watched to see if the back tires would kick up rocks while I was going up this steepish loose gravel roadish. I don't think I ever saw the light come on though. Is it for when something is wrong with the AWD? I did get the traction control light to come on once when I tried to fish tale around this turn on a gravel road. Traction control kicked in and the rear wheels kept too much grip and took all the fun out of it. Need to get an old Civic so I can have some fun around that road again.
...or press the button that turns VSA (traction control) off.

·
Registered
52 Posts
It also says in the "Reference Guide" that if the AWD light comes on, bring your car in for service as there is an issue with the AWD system. I'll try to find where I read it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts