Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Testing the Collision Mitigation Braking System - CMBS

20K views 26 replies 20 participants last post by  az_crv 
#1 · (Edited)
Has anyone tested the Collision Mitigation Braking System - CMBS

Hey Gang,
Any videos of the CMBS auto breaking feature for the 2017 CRV in action? (Collision Mitigation Braking System) Wife won't let me test it with another car :)

#6 ·
Wow, that video made me nervous. driving down the road at better than 60 mph, with a camera in hand that he turns everywhere while still going forward. Bad driving, surprised he wasn't pulled over. Then again, I didn't see any police cars on his drive. I'm glad I'm not on the same roads as him.

#10 ·
I think the key thing to remember is that it's called a mitigation system, not avoidance. Honda is only saying that it will make a collision less severe, they're not promising it will avoid a collision. But if anyone feels like crashing in to some cardboard boxes and uploading a video, it would be awesome to see it in action.

#12 ·
These are driver assist/support systems. Learn to use them slowly. I have them on my 16 and recommend that you learn the other features of the car first.
Note the system reacted quicker than I did to a major wreck on the interstate in front of me. It hit the brakes solidly until I took over the braking control/management.

#20 ·
Hey Gang,
Any videos of the CMBS auto breaking feature for the 2017 CRV in action? (Collision Mitigation Braking System) Wife won't let me test it with another car :)

Call ex gf.
Tell her you want to recocile & to meet you in street.
Speed at her.
Car brakes you win
Car doesnt brake you win

Thats how honda tests it... its in the manual.. lol

Heres a test on a diff model but honda/acura
https://youtu.be/EIzLyjjDIU8

#24 ·
Those Volvo videos aren’t recent, at least eight years old for one of them.
Even MB had public failures in the early days.
Every company probably had their failures. Mostly behind closed doors.

Four years ago I rented a Volvo in England. Unbeknownst to me it had all the safety systems in place that form the sensing system today. Took me a while to figure out why it was beeping at me. But that experience totally sold me on sensing systems.

#25 ·
I had the kitchen sink software updates (I think 17-064 and another I don't recall) and everything behaves a bit different versus original software. Overall it's arguably more refined and maybe even more aggressive safety-wise.

LKAS seems more lazy almost to a level of non-usefulness as the vehicle is more apt to slosh around in the lane with slower and less forceful steering control.

ACC/CC has somewhat less jerky velocity control. ACC somewhat better position station keeping. ACC doesn't accelerate to close the distance on slower moving vehicles and then brake hard.

Emergency braking seems to happen more frequently now for vehicles not in path such as in left turn lanes and maintain/trigger more easily even when attempting throttle override.

I'm happy with less jerky throttle but prefer the previous LKAS and emergency braking.

#26 ·
I’ve had 3 situations where the vehicle in front of me slammed on the brakes and the vehicle in front of me came to a complete stop and my 2017 crv also came to a complete stop with at least a foot to spare. But it’s the freakiest thing because you feel the car apply the brakes with such tremendous force. 2017 crvs do have excellent brakes but in all 3 situations both vehicles were coming to a complete stop at the same time. I have never tested it with a stationary target.

#27 ·
The owner's manual claims CMBS works on stationary targets but I've never seen it activate on any stationary targets that have never moved. For instance, vehicles in path stopped at a traffic light. I've never tried the tin-foiled box test in a parking lot. Maybe it only functions in special scenarios like below a certain speed or for low speed fender benders?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.