Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, first time on this forum. I'm not much of a mechanic, but I just removed the starter on my 2007 CRV, and before I button it all back up id like to know how to clean the throttle body and intake manifold, test the throttle body shutter, and the best way to clean all the parts, hoses, and surfaces around the engine and fuel system in particular. Any direction would be appreciated. Getting to this particular starter was a pain in the you-know-what. Has to be on the top 10 for worst locations for a starter motor

Thanks,
Michael

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
9,525 Posts
Use intake manifold cleaner or MAP cleaner to remove carbon & dirt from the throttle body. I don't sprasy it, rather I soak a clean lint free cloth rag and wipe the TB. Make sure you get the inside bore, and the edges of the butterfly, and you will be OK.

For other cleaning I like to use brake cleaner. This is a solvent that does NOT leave a residue.

If there are EGR passageways in the intake manifold, these are worth cleaning out. They get "gooky" from the exhaust flying around.

If you need to remove residual gasket material, I use a single-edge razor blade at an angle to scrape it off.

I then go over the mating surfaces with a Scotchbrite pad. Honda does a GREAT job machining them smooth, but you want to restore them to the best possible mating.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts