Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just acquired a 1-owner 2000 crv LX (automatic transmission) with 122k. It is perfect with many original parts and no leaks. However the engine is louder than any honda engine I have ever heard. (Sort of a clattering sound. Not knocking or anything, just a normal running engine sound pattern but loud.) If the original owner never adjusted the valves (I'm taking it in tomorrow for the job) what are the chances that there's damage in there?

I love these crvs and have had two, a 2000 5speed manual awd and a 2004 (auto transmission fwd) that I rolled and totaled before making the first payment. This one is almost dead mint inside and out and I want to keep it forever. What are my options if the engine has been too neglected? Other than the noise it runs great and even has plenty of zip. Thanks for your help!!

·
Registered
252 Posts
I believe the interval for the valve adjustment is 100k, so it's not like you are horribly beyond that point. Also, with Honda engines, "A slappy valve is a happy valve" - valve clatter is preferable to a very quiet engine because the exhaust valves have a habit of tightening up over time and a tight valve which makes no noise ends up burning, and that's when the damage happens. So it sounds like things are just fine, but obviously if you don't know the history then now is the time to check things out and confirm them.

·
Everything in Moderation
7,716 Posts
What are my options if the engine has been too neglected? Other than the noise it runs great and even has plenty of zip.
The B series motors ran best when valves were adjusted every 30,000 miles. TomKatt is correct, the interval in the owner's manual is 100K, but that was only spec'd in North America because Honda had come under criticism for higher-than-average maintenance costs. The rest of the world had the 30K interval.

Since your engine runs well, you are probably OK. Would be interested to know the valve clearance before adjustment.

It was usually the exhaust valves that tightened up. If left unattended, the valves would burn causing loss of compression. Repair involves removing the cylinder head and doing a valve job.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Aren't they supposed to be adjusted dead cold?
I wouldn't trust them doing it the same day I dropped it off.

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
I adjusted the valves on my old room mate's 2000 CRV at aprox 190k miles and they were barely out of adjustment. One exhaust valve was down to only 0.005" which was reasonable and the rest had more clearance. The intakes were still within specs, although on the very loose end or withing 0.001" of the upper limit.
As CarBuff2 asked, see if you can get the before and after measurements of each valve. The exhaust valves should be at the looser end of the spec adj and the intake should be at the tighter end of the spec.
Ask the mechanic who is doing the work (pretty easy to do yourself, overall) to listen to the engine as perhaps the noise is something else.
Buffalo4

·
Registered
252 Posts
The exhaust valves should be at the looser end of the spec adj and the intake should be at the tighter end of the spec.
Isn't that the other way around with the Honda engines? The exhaust valves tend to work themselves into the seat which decreases the gap (increasing the threat of burning).

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
Exhaust valves should be set at the looser (meaning larger gap) end of the spec because, as you stated, they start recessing into the seat and and the gap (lash) gets tighter or less or smaller.
I think the below are the specs for a 2000 CRV. Check yourself before you use these specs.
Intake: .003"-.005" Set closer to the .003" They get looser due to cam lobe and follower wear
Exhaust: .006"-.008" Set closer to the .008" They get tighter due to the valve seat receding.
I guess I did not explain it clearly enough earlier.
Buffalo4

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi all. The engine sounds much less like a a diesel now that it's been adjusted. Intake was at .006 (adjusted to .004) and exhaust was at .009 except for one was at .01! (adjusted all to (.007) so they were out of specs, but the mechanic said everything is beautiful inside and out. Thanks all, for your interest in this post! I scored a creampuff, or so it seems!!

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
Sounds like you have yourself a C R V !!!!!
Enjoy.
Don't forget to check the cabin air filter and the diffy fluid.
Lots of yrs enjoyment with minimal maintenance. :D
Buffalo4

·
Registered
772 Posts
Welcome to the forum, and congradulations on a great find, they are getting scarce. Good report from your mechanic. If your not able to find out what oil/filter the previous owner has been using, now would be a good time to switch to full synthetic. My 97 LX has 216k+ miles and is very quiet. I'm using Mobil 1 and Denso filters. I chose this oil because of the test results compared to others such as heat/friction test, both hot/cold weather. Denso # DEN150-1009
has silicone check valve. JMHO for some good products.
David g.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts