Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
The. Admin. Istrator.
7,558 Posts
Bad luck dude.

Least you are safe.

Uninsured drivers are simply scumbag oxygen thieves :mad:

·
Registered
2020 CR-V Touring AWD, Lunar Silver Metallic, Gray Leather
43 Posts
Grateful you folks survived fine. One of the strongest points in buying our CR-V, and our '13 Accord, was considering our survivability in the worst case scenario wreck. We feel safe in our Hondas. Keep those good memories.

·
Super Moderator
2007 Accord EX 2020 CR-V Hybrid EX
3,728 Posts
Bad luck dude.

Least you are safe.

Uninsured drivers are simply scumbag oxygen thieves :mad:
Absolutely.
I read that Illinois is now cancelling the registrations of vehicles without insurance. They are apparently checking through all of them twice a year.
The last time I renewed my plates the lady asked "Do you have insurance?". I replied "of course" as I reached for my paperwork, but apparently my verbal assertion was enough, she issued my plate.
This was absolutely nuts, you should have to prove you are insured.
Or my insurance company sends me a card "proving" I am insured for the next year, and I haven't even paid for the policy yet, and if I don't I still have the "proof".
It doesn't help that "No Insurance" is usually part of multiple charges, and is the first one to be dropped by prosecutors.
Unless we start taking uninsured driving for the serious offense it is, nothing will happen.

·
Super Moderator - How may I help?
5,093 Posts
@Pillowcase ...so sorry to hear, but like others have said, glad that everyone is ok. Cars can be replaced, people's lives, not so easy!

·
Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
7,024 Posts
Absolutely.
I read that Illinois is now cancelling the registrations of vehicles without insurance. They are apparently checking through all of them twice a year.
The last time I renewed my plates the lady asked "Do you have insurance?". I replied "of course" as I reached for my paperwork, but apparently my verbal assertion was enough, she issued my plate.
This was absolutely nuts, you should have to prove you are insured.
Or my insurance company sends me a card "proving" I am insured for the next year, and I haven't even paid for the policy yet, and if I don't I still have the "proof".
It doesn't help that "No Insurance" is usually part of multiple charges, and is the first one to be dropped by prosecutors.
Unless we start taking uninsured driving for the serious offense it is, nothing will happen.
California is tough on non-insured drivers, particularly if they are in an accident.

There is a sliding tier of fines, plus possible suspension of licence and even impound of vehicle. If caught on the road during a traffic stop, it will generally follow the progressive fine route, which is not too bad for a first offender, but then it gets steep really quick for repeat offenders. First offense is a couple hundred dollars, but it ramps up pretty quickly on repeat offenders. And if they ignore the ticket and fine, then they will have warrants issued and license suspended without notice. And driving with a suspended licence will result in your vehicle being impounded on the spot.

If you can't show proof of car insurance after an accident, the state will suspend your license for one year — in addition to charging the appropriate fines — and your car may be impounded until you pay any towing and storage fees., which are steep and add up quickly.

Worse, once you are ticketed for no insurance, it becomes very expensive to get insurance after that.... which I am not really sure if that helps or hurts getting uninsured into the insured category. It probably does help as it appears that most offenders in our state are simply skipping to save a few dollars, much like passengers who sneak on and off of our light rail systems which are on the honor system, but the roving transit patrols do eventually catch them and it is a multi-hundred dollar fine for not possessing a valid transit ticket or pass.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts