Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife is in the market for a new SUV. She has a 2007 Pilot with over 200k miles. I'm writing about my car search journey on my company blog at carjojo.com/honda-crv-sales-may-2017. I'm torn on what to buy. I want her to try something different but she loves the Pilot. Any help would be appreciated.

I'm looking for feedback on the 2017 CRV. She loves the 3rd row seat of the Pilot and the space to haul stuff when the seats are down. According to my research, the most popular 2016-17 CRV trim is The EX-L AWD. What do you hate, like or wish it had? Have you owned the Pilot, Explorer or Highlander? How does it compare to the Pilot, Explorer or Highlander?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Most Pilots and Highlanders are V6. A lot more powerful, roomier, 3rd row, etc. It is like comparing a Corolla to a Camry. Primarily the Camry is the bigger, more powerful car. Same applies here, generally.

Time has moved on since your Pilot. The tech is better in a new CR-V than a ten year old Pilot. Being used to a V6, though, I think you may be disappointed in the CR-V powertrains. They are adequate. That's it. Neither of them, in my opinion, is particularly inspiring, but they aren't bad. We own a Civic turbo, and the 1.5T is a lot more impressive in that car than it is in the CR-V...again, not that the CR-V is bad, but the engine doesn't shine like it does in the Civic.

CR-V MPG will be lots better than your Pilot. Cars are more structurally rigid than cars were in 2007. Safety tech is more advanced.

Explorer is a whole different animal. The interior space utilization isn't the best. The Ecoboost ones feel a lot quicker than a CR-V. I don't care for the visibility, and certain other design aspects. But you can opt for a pretty stout engine if you choose, a lot punchier than any CR-V if that matters to you.

The vehicles you mention are all a class above the CR-V in size, power, and prestige, really. Apples and Oranges to a large extent. A CR-V is really, at heart, kind of an economy SUV, a 5 seater. Basically a Civic station wagon with AWD. You can gussy the CR-V up with toys, but in the end, it's a CR-V. A Pilot is a larger, more powerful, roomier, more refined vehicle overall, as is the Highlander in most forms.

If I had the budget, I'd rather have a Pilot than a CR-V. Actually, I'd rather have the Ridgeline, which is a Pilot truck largely. But I digress.

I'd rather have a base Pilot than a loaded CR-V...both of which are probably close in price. The better engine and larger, more versatile vehicle with a heavier road feel are more important to me than gadgets. I may be in the minority.

·
Registered
264 Posts
EX and up is going to be popular.
I would most likely

LX (just want means of transportation)

EX(some jump from LX because of added features like Honda Sensing)

EX-L(others like me, who want leather seats).

Touring( some want all the bells and whistles)

People jump trims because of features. I only listed minimum features. There are lots of things that are different per trim.

Lastly, it would not be a wise choice to buy the popular trim which most people buy. Get what you need and what you can afford.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

·
Registered
264 Posts
How ignorant. Just because it's a base model does not make it a basic econo car. It's got the same practicality of an family orientated SUV.
Sure features are nice. But have you considered the pros and cons?

-Example leather seats. In hot weather not so nice...
-18" rims are ugly af compared to the lx 17"
-Have fun having to fix leaks from sunroof down the road.
-The 7" android tablet is garbage.

Again more features more of a PITA it will be to fix in the long run.

Means of basic transport? What is it a Geo Metro?
Friend you are interpreting me wrong.

What i meant to say is... people buy LX just if they do not care about the other features and want it to be just a "means of transportation" no reason to get mad.

Edit: reflecting on your post.....
You said leather seats in hot weather is not nice- i agree, but that is why you have EX trim.
Next, 18in wheels are ugly. Not everyone hate them, or like them. This is bound to happen.
You also said have fun fixing leaking sunroof in future. Well how do you know if this is going to happen? If this does happen to my car i sure will get back to you for some tips to predict the future of my car.
Lastly, 7" Android tablet- it may be garbage, but doesnt it get the job done? I mean you have the features like Apple Carplay, Android Auto. to my knowledge the competition doesnt even offer this.
I am not saying is a perfect car, but i am saying it is best in the class.

·
Registered
600 Posts
How ignorant. Just because it's a base model does not make it a basic econo car. It's got the same practicality of an family orientated SUV.

My 2004 CR-V EX with 293,000 miles has never had a leaky sunroof :)

·
Registered
1,171 Posts

Funny, so many people love their leather seats. They last so long, stay cleaner. If its really hot out I throw a tower over them (which I can throw in the washing machine. Some of us wouldn't have a car without leather seats.
Again, some people love the look of the bigger wheels
Leaks, really? Very very rare to have a sun roof leak in today's world on a factory sun roof due to the way they are made with the drainage system and lips.

It is? Gee...some of us are very happy with it

Oddly in my past Honda's I have never had to fix any complex problems. Normal maintance and 200,000 miles of great service witih minimum repairs, all of which I have done at home

Different strokes for different folks. Love my car with all its great, trouble free, features.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I bought the EX because it doesn't have leather seats, due to Texas hot sun! Don't really care for the sun roof but it comes with it. For most wife's, they would rather get the power tailgate than the sun roof, which the EX does not come with, very disappointed at Honda for that. Not even as option. EX-L also come with Homelink garage control, leather steering wheel, driver memory seat and power passenger seat. I think that's the main differences between EX-L and EX. But it does cost about $2500 more to get all that. I also own a 2016 Honda Pilot, and although the CR-V is nice, the Pilot is even nicer with 3rd row seat! I'm using my CR-V as daily commute, and Pilot as weekend family go around car.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I drove the 2017 Pilot and loved the powerful V6 and hearing the v-tech :) . However you could really still feel the heft of it being a larger suv. The CRV feels much more nimble for day to day driving and has plenty of space for a 5 seater and it feels plenty refined. If cost of ownership matters, the CRV is much more inexpensive as well obviously.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Between my wife and I, our last 3 vehicles have been a 2008 Accord V6, 2012 Pilot AWD, and 2017 CR-V AWD. For all 3, we went with the EX-L trim level. While different models of course, this trim level has the leather seats that we prefer and all of the "good" bells and whistles that we want and a good value/price point.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Well, glad to know that Hondas are built like a tank. Regardless of features and leaky sunroofs. (-sarcasm) For me the LX model is more than enough car for me.

Guess my point is, anyone in the market considering the CR-V should go to their local dealer and look at the floor room examples. You might be surprised to see what they come equipped with standard nowadays.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Well, glad to know that Hondas are built like a tank. Regardless of features and leaky sunroofs. (-sarcasm) For me the LX model is more than enough car for me.

Guess my point is, anyone in the market considering the CR-V should go to their local dealer and look at the floor room examples. You might be surprised to see what they come equipped with standard nowadays.
My brother and his wife have both an LX and the EX. They are happy with both. The LX is their around town car used for runs to the grocery store, whatever. When they take a trip they like the EX. My sister-in-law says she doesn't know the difference between a stamped steel rim and a machined aluminum one nor can see detect the difference in seat cover thickness or tinting of windows on her three mile drive into the small town they live near.
The LX is a very competent car by any measure. The EX adds price but value. My Touring has it all and I love it! I am lucky and the price difference wasn't a deal breaker. I am a car guy by profession and really enjoy all the extra features. We run around town in our Fit and use the CR-V for our travels. My wife wanted the Fit as she considers the CR-V to be a BIG car! Too big to drive to the grocery store you know...in her mind....

I am happy they make different trim levels, something for everyone.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I find the size to be just perfect for me. Not too small, not too big. A nice medium SUV. Sometimes I swear I feel like I'm driving an over sized jacked up Civic. - Which is a good thing not bad.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Sunroofs have never been important to me. My very first was a novelty for about a week. If it was a 'delete option' (remember those?) I would probably take it, and it might save some weight also. Never had one leak either, but how much you use them may be a factor.

I think there are enough options for the '17 CRV that finding one with what you want should not be a major issue. Even if you go all out and get the Touring version, it is still not bad when you consider all that's included. You have to buy 2 or 3 optional packages on the RDX to get the same features, some of which show up on lower CRV trims.

I was seriously considering the Subie Forester XT. It's a very nice car. The interior while improved, is not as classy looking as the CRV. Both are different animals when it comes to how they look from the outside, with maybe an edge for the new Honda, IMO.

I would be gaining a more powerful engine, as well as one of the best AWD systems. And the EyeSight system is probably the best, plus the LED headlights steer.
It's a tough choice especially if you have been buying Hondas for a while, and are used to minimal maintenance and good reliability. Not to say the latest Subies are not close in that department.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Yeah.. A CIVIC - that's what i said!. Reminds me of my 1980 White Civic Hatchback but only nicer..
I love my White AWD Touring!

I find the size to be just perfect for me. Not too small, not too big. A nice medium SUV. Sometimes I swear I feel like I'm driving an over sized jacked up Civic. - Which is a good thing not bad.

·
Registered
97 Posts
My wife is in the market for a new SUV. She has a 2007 Pilot with over 200k miles. I'm writing about my car search journey on my company blog at carjojo.com/honda-crv-sales-may-2017. I'm torn on what to buy. I want her to try something different but she loves the Pilot. Any help would be appreciated.

I'm looking for feedback on the 2017 CRV. She loves the 3rd row seat of the Pilot and the space to haul stuff when the seats are down. According to my research, the most popular 2016-17 CRV trim is The EX-L AWD. What do you hate, like or wish it had? Have you owned the Pilot, Explorer or Highlander? How does it compare to the Pilot, Explorer or Highlander?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.
Hi Bflitter,

I agreed with "car master Hans471" that "Different strokes for different folks". I bought a 2017 CRV AWD Touring and I love every single aspect of this vehicle. I have covered it with a thick cover to protect it from summer heat.

For a few decades, I have owned more than a dozen of Honda motorcycles and cars which includes Honda Civic, Accord I4, Accord V6 EXL/ Touring (1986 - 2014). And again, I bought this 2017 CRV just a few months ago. If you are able to afford all "bells and whistles" you may want to buy a 2017 CRV AWD Touring. Good luck and enjoy your/ your wife's new 2017 CRV.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I just picked up my CRV AWD EX. I have only driven it 30 miles so I don't have a lot of feedback. I really love the blind spot indicator and I like the cloth seats. They are the rugged cloth like my 2013 Pilot and not the soft cloth found in the Accords. I also recommend getting the rear cargo tray. The Honda carpeting is not real carpet and is a pain to vacume. The tray fits perfect and will protect the carpeting when bringing items to the recycling center. I also love Apple Carplay. My 2016 Pilot Touring does not have this feature and I wish it did. I plan to use the CRV as my daily driver and the Pilot as the family vehicle and for long trips. They are different classes of automobiles, but you can't beat the CRV for the price and hopefully reliability. Since both my Pilot and CRV were first model years I ot Honda Car for a small upcharge (through College Hills Honda). Just dropping my AAA saves me $134 a year and that savings will offset much of my Honda Care cost. My only initial complaint about the CRV is the lack of a power tailgate option and a radio tuning button.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts