Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was told on Friday by the service manager at my Honda dealer I would not be getting the "Fix" in 1-2 weeks like they had said on 11-23-18. What he is said is letters from Honda are supposed to start going out in January (at least for PA) explaining the issue with oil dilution and a lack of heat like some of us have. It will basically say to contact your Honda dealer to have the fix done. At the same time Honda will be shipping the parts package out. I will be curious to see who gets these. What the service person did not know is who exactly would be getting these, people who complained of oil dilution, certain VIN numbers etc...

·
Registered
240 Posts
Hmm. I guess I'll have to wait then, too.

I'd be curious to see why or if Honda USA would not roll the N60 version of the fix out to all 2017 VINs, like they did in Canada.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The "Official" fix did not work. Yes, the dealer overfilled after the fix when oil was changed as part of the fix. I drained some oil out until I reached the 3/4 (Between the half and full mark) EXACTLY. I am an engineer and use scientific method when I can. In all cases, oil was checked on a cold engine, same level location in garage, temp in low 30F. 147 miles between pics, mostly short trips (< 6 miles), Car warmed up via remote start (> 5 min).
Floor Bumper Flooring Rim

·
Registered
276 Posts
The "Official" fix did not work. Yes, the dealer overfilled after the fix when oil was changed as part of the fix. I drained some oil out until I reached the 3/4 (Between the half and full mark) EXACTLY. I am an engineer and use scientific method when I can. In all cases, oil was checked on a cold engine, same level location in garage, temp in low 30F. 147 miles between pics, mostly short trips (< 6 miles), Car warmed up via remote start (> 5 min).
View attachment 126839
My concern is that Honda by its posted video and updated owner's manual on oil dilution and how to measuere oil levels using the dipstick, they and their lawyers in any legal dispute will just now say this is normal operation. You will have the burden to prove damage, which we all know will for most will be outside of the drive train warranty period.

They are essentially saying, or so it seems. go away and stop bothering us- all is normal, all is ok, nothing is happening. Or as I like to say- go pound sand.

·
Registered
139 Posts
My concern is that Honda by its posted video and updated owner's manual on oil dilution and how to measuere oil levels using the dipstick, they and their lawyers in any legal dispute will just now say this is normal operation. You will have the burden to prove damage, which we all know will for most will be outside of the drive train warranty period.

They are essentially saying, or so it seems. go away and stop bothering us- all is normal, all is ok, nothing is happening. Or as I like to say- go pound sand.
100% agree. They have decided that they are not going to do anything beyond "the fix that fixes nothing". They are going to let things be and hope that engines don't start blowing up. One thing that they cannot change, however, is our owner's manual which warns us not to overfill our engine with oil lest we cause engine damage. (That's my proof.) I wouldn't be surprised to see them sending us "revised" owner's manuals along with a "improved" dipstick with a higher fill indicator. They are taking a very bad situation and making it infinitely worse in the manner that they are treating their customers. It will be interesting to see their sales numbers in the next year or two. I can assure you that I won't be buying Honda again.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Doesn't the fix take some time to have an effect? Hope Honda tested the fix before releasing. Cr-v sales are down 2% in Nov 18 compared to Nov of last year. New Rav4 is also hitting the dealerships right now.

sv11

·
Registered
276 Posts
Doesn't the fix take some time to have an effect? Hope Honda tested the fix before releasing. Cr-v sales are down 2% in Nov 18 compared to Nov of last year. New Rav4 is also hitting the dealerships right now.

sv11
Long live the Cr-V! Well, at least, until I can sell it to avoid the RAV4 onslaught without losing too much value.

If Honda, does nothing, the Toyota reliability track record will, at some point, really just hurt the CR-V. Their deep rebates pockets and fleet sells where already killing the Cr-V with a 6 year old design. Just imagine what a more reliable, modern RAV4 that the CR-V must now competes against. At some point, it will hit the CR as "not recommended' used car to buy list. I am waiting to see the crash test and for it to get his first run of TSB out of the say, so waiting 6 months to a year on the RAV4 buy decision. Of course, I do hope , Honda will redeem themselves, but I have been hoping for over a year and half. Sigh... with no response for a Colorado owner.

Dreamer? Probably, but CA Honda at least seems to have some corporate conscious. Maybe American Honda will look north to see how to run a car compan beyond just a profit motive.

·
Registered
884 Posts
100% agree. They have decided that they are not going to do anything beyond "the fix that fixes nothing". They are going to let things be and hope that engines don't start blowing up. One thing that they cannot change, however, is our owner's manual which warns us not to overfill our engine with oil lest we cause engine damage. (That's my proof.) I wouldn't be surprised to see them sending us "revised" owner's manuals along with a "improved" dipstick with a higher fill indicator. They are taking a very bad situation and making it infinitely worse in the manner that they are treating their customers. It will be interesting to see their sales numbers in the next year or two. I can assure you that I won't be buying Honda again.
Yep, said another way, Honda is trying to manage customer expectations while buying time. And I agree with dstein, the business plan is the impression of action, appeasing some customers until warranties lapse and only a time and money consuming court settlement can correct.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Long live the Cr-V! Well, at least, until I can sell it to avoid the RAV4 onslaught without losing too much value.

If Honda, does nothing, the Toyota reliability track record will, at some point, really just hurt the CR-V. Their deep rebates pockets and fleet sells where already killing the Cr-V with a 6 year old design. Just imagine what a more reliable, modern RAV4 that the CR-V must now competes against. At some point, it will hit the CR as "not recommended' used car to buy list. I am waiting to see the crash test and for it to get his first run of TSB out of the say, so waiting 6 months to a year on the RAV4 buy decision. Of course, I do hope , Honda will redeem themselves, but I have been hoping for over a year and half. Sigh... with no response for a Colorado owner.

Dreamer? Probably, but CA Honda at least seems to have some corporate conscious. Maybe American Honda will look north to see how to run a car compan beyond just a profit motive.
The new RAV4 is looking better and better. My local dealer is supposed to have some in by the end of the week. Talking with the service manager last week he did not seem to excited about the new Passport

·
Registered
531 Posts
I looked online at a new 2018 RAV4 last week, Platinum. MSRP 38K, sales price $32K. The poor mpg of the 2018 causes me hesitancy while the 2019 is too new. Will have to pull the trigger soon before the rebates run out. Then I will be back here and say goodbye to y'all.

·
Registered
531 Posts

sv11
Yes, the fix needs time to have an effect. It will take effect when you get rid of your CRV or your CRV dies prematurely of the problem. As long as you own it, the fix will ever still be in progress.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a 2018 Limited, and while the gas mileage does not match the CRV, I do not consider it poor gas mileage. I'll take long term reliability any day over the possible long term CRV engine problems.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts