Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No, this has nothing to do with a politician. This is about the infamous dipstick used in the 1.5 liter turbo charged engine that exists in most of our CRVs. Over a year ago I began posting about what has become a “Sticky:” issue that shall never be mentioned anywhere else.
I know that there are numerous ways to make this sucker readable. But they all require some sort of effort on the owners part, maybe even buying a sacrificial copy. But non of these remedies would be performed by the casual dipstick dipper. Which brings me to the point of this thread.

Does anyone other than I believe that this abomination was purposefully designed to mask a flaw?

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
No I don’t believe so. The dipstick in my 2014 Civic LX is the orange plastic monster. The dipstick in my 2013 CRV EX is a regular awesome dipstick.

·
Super Moderator
1997 185 2002 EX 2017 EX-L AWD
2,547 Posts
hammer the sucker off. I say and move on. got no issues reading it on my end can't see anyways

·
Registered
313 Posts
I bet the people who designed/engineered it think it's an improvement somehow. How it is an improvement is much less clear.

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
The dipstick is just one of several items on the Gen 5 CR-V that make me ask "why the heck would they (Honda) have done that the way they did?". :-(

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
It's your dipstick. If you like your dipstick you can keep your dipstick. If you want to modify or change your dipstick, it's yours, you can do that too.

After scribing a line to indicate the full and add mark I knocked off the orange plastic using a chisel. This allows for much easier reading of the engine oil and collects less oil from the tube as it is transported in and out for viewing. I always check the oil in the morning before starting while the engine is still cold. That provides the most accurate reading.

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD
3,511 Posts
Today's oils are so much paler in color that I suspect they did it to make it easier to see.

·
Registered
310 Posts
An extra dipstick that was relieved of its Trumpian polymeric material was only slightly improved as the sump’s access tube was designed with a curve that tends to smear the oil. In fact the questionable polycarbonate extrusion was probably added to ease transit through the torturous path.

·
Registered
2018 CR-V EX-L FWD Modern Steel Metallic
1,083 Posts
I ordered an extra one and painted it white, works great!
looks like they are only $7. cheaper and easier to buy and new one..

·
Registered
313 Posts
The curved path explanation seems sensible. The indented design of the orange molding would work round the smearing. I'd like to think they tested other colors and orange was the least bad. Still, I've had the '16 Civic for 2-1/2 years now and, not that I check it often, but, when I check it I've never really felt confident I knew anything more about oil level than that it had more than the low hole.

·
Super Moderator
1997 185 2002 EX 2017 EX-L AWD
2,547 Posts
what ever happen to the knapkin trick.

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
The orange plastic tip hangs up on various internal surfaces when removing, thus coating those internal surfaces with more oil which increases the chances of a false reading. Removing the orange plastic tip makes removing the dipstick smooth as silk......no more hang-ups on various internal surfaces. Just think of the money Honda could have saved or applied that money to taller seat belt latch.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I hadn’t realized that the dipstick actually had a bend to negotiate because I always inserted it transversely for symmetry. Today when I tried to force it in on any other plane it fought back, so it definitely has to bend.

So the indented to avoid smearing scenario makes sense to me. At least the readings, assuming you can see them, are consistent no matter how often you take them. This isn’t always the case on other cars. I had a 1998 Forester that suffered from random dipstick readingitis. It too had a torturous path which resulted in random results, so I would take 5 readings and whichever reading occurred the most would win.

I may have been wrong about the conspiracy theory.

Has anyone tried filing off the ridges on only one side? I would give it a try but only to a spare for fear of weakening the monster. Imagine the damage could it cause if it fell into the sump.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
"Has anyone tried filing off the ridges on only one side? I would give it a try but only to a spare for fear of weakening the monster. Imagine the damage could it cause if it fell into the sump."

I did try this....it did not help

·
Registered
310 Posts
"...I did try this....it did not help
I usually get my easiest reading when initially pulling the dipstick after it has sat a while, and then only on one side. Not by pulling, wiping and reinserting.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I find I can read it okay if I make sure the orange indent is completely clean and dried off. I can then just look in the light at where it stops reflecting and looks dry.

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts