Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,
I have a Gen 1 Crv and I plan on doing some overhauling to the vehicle, think camping/minor off road. I've been on the hunt for the best struts and springs that would align with this application, unfortunately I keep hitting roadblocks. So is there anyone on here that has a solution to my issue or could at least point me in the direction?
My end goal is to get the 3-4 inch lift kit from HRG, with the sub-frame drop.
Thank you
Keith

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,662 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Moved to Suspension section. While I have your attention, please go to your Account Settings/Signature, and (you can use mine as an example or look at what others do) add pertinent information on your location and vehicle, then save. Once done, it will be on every post from now on, and will make everything we all do here much smoother. Thanks.

You'll find plenty of info here on this topic. I'd advise against this stuff beyond a certain level, though, unless you just have buckets of money and time and want to create all sorts of other preoblems for the car. The CR-V is not, and is not meant to be, an off-roader. For this kind of thing I'd use the V for transportation and find a good solid Jeep Cherokee with a 4.0L-5-spd 4x4 to mod. I've done it, and it's the only way to go. But It's your world, eh?

·
Registered
1999 Honda CR-V
56 Posts
Hey Keith I recently got a gen 1 as well, I wasn't looking for another car but it was free and so now I'm using it similar to you for a bit of soft-roading and local adventures while keeping the miles down on my nicer car.

My two cents is that a lift is just not worth the cost and hassle, there is nothing to really gain there because the ground clearance is already not the bottleneck of this car's off-road capabilities. Most likely you will have issues with lack of low range gearing, transmission & axle durability, traction issues due to open diffs and a simple but limited AWD system, etc, long before you ever get in a situation where ground clearance is the thing holding you up. The lifts are hard on CV joints and subframe drops are not really a magic fix to that problem.

Struts I also wouldn't bother with unless the current ones are truly shot, and if so then the cheapest ones available would be my choice but my whole car operates on a strict barebones budget. Springs I would not mess with either unless broken or demonstrating tremendous sag on loading up the car, and I'm pretty sure they had a fair bit of rear sag when loaded no matter what even when new. If marginal I've had mixed results with rubber coil boosters for dirt cheap, not on this car yet but just an idea.

You must have a really nice, low miles no-rust car to be even considering struts and springs and lifts, these gen 1 are pretty tired old cars now. Still a lot to be had out of some of them, even mine with 300k miles, but I'm focusing on budget maintenance just keeping it running nice and stock.

My one splurge/upgrade for soft-roading was a set of the cheapest off-brand all terrain tires I could find, upsized to 215/75R15. These have boosted clearance a bit and now I for sure have all the ground clearance I could ever use, like I said the rest of the car being an old basic AWD with limited power and capabilities will be the weak point before I ever have clearance issues. I don't know where you plan on going but there is nowhere within 500 miles of me that can't be traversed by a stock subaru most of the year, so as long as I've got decent tires and a relatively healthy-running car I'm good to go. My money saved on not over-investing into the car means I can have some nice things to take with me on adventures like a kayak or paddle board.

·
Premium Member
2,694 Posts
My two cents is that a lift is just not worth the cost and hassle, there is nothing to really gain there because the ground clearance is already not the bottleneck of this car's off-road capabilities. Most likely you will have issues with lack of low range gearing, transmission & axle durability, traction issues due to open diffs and a simple but limited AWD system, etc, long before you ever get in a situation where ground clearance is the thing holding you up.
I'll second this. In addition, the engines in these CR-Vs are really anemic. I have a 2009 and it can barely make it on an unpaved road that has a few mild inclines, and it really struggles on mountain passes on the highways also. My 1997's engine is worse than this--I doubt it could even make it through Colorado on I-70 without taking the right lane at 50 MPH, engine screaming at the redline. (Honda should have put the trusty J30 V6 into these CR-Vs.) The AWD does good through inclement weather and provides grip on something like a gravel road, but it wasn't designed to tackle off-roading. Better to save up and get a 4Runner or similar, which would have the low gearing option when needed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts