Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have not tried it, what is the deal with the "s' gear , does it just drop a gear and rev more.

·
Registered
197 Posts
If I'm trundling along at 35mph in my '15, the engine will be at about the 1000rpm mark. If in sport mode, it'll turn over at about 2,000rpm. Basically it gets the engine to camp closer to the peak torque point of 3,900rpm so it can get there sooner for maximum acceleration, at the expense of fuel economy.

I'm not entirely sure without looking it up, but I suspect it does some remapping of the throttle response to the position of the accelerator pedal as well.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Yes the '15 does have the "S" selection. Go ahead and try it. Brace yourself 'cause it will unleash a whole new animal! ...in one word: WoW!

Enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Sports mode ...try to race a car at highway see how fast your crv can overtake cars that is what "S" stands for. It brings out the Ferrari out of your crv. I hope you get the point

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'll get my CRV by the end of the month.. How responsive sport mode really is?

In my test drive I didn't think about trying S.

·
Registered
229 Posts
it love you long time, you put into 's' and to right of shifter you pop open the lil lid and stick your happiest part in there lol
seriously, its just a sport mode to keep revv's up. I see not much use for it really besides slowing off hills etc.

·
Registered
217 Posts
S means secret mode active. Theres a few steps to take to take advantage of this mode.
1. Shift to S and turn off ECO mode
2. Honk 3 times.
3. Hold brake hard to the floor with left foot.
4. Press accelerator pedal down with right foot to reach 5000rpm.
6. Let go left foot when light turns green and keep right foot on accelerator pedal to the floor.
7. Turn on hazard light if you pass people driving next to you.
Thats it. ;)

·
Registered
140 Posts
It's barely noticeable. The only real use for this is if you have a heavy load or are trailering up a hill. To quote Autoweek "The CVT comes with a Sport mode, which, as far as we could tell, just increased engine noise -- it's as slow as ever. Once you're moving, it's not bad: it holds speeds well on the freeway, and short bursts are performed with smoothness. But from a standstill -- trying to squeeze in a right turn, for instance -- the CR-V's CVT says, "c'mon. What are you really in a hurry for?" If there were 18 more lb-ft of torque, as Honda claims, then we couldn't feel it from our perforated leather seats -- which, in fact, are new for 2015."

·
Registered
51 Posts
Most of the people commented oviously havent driven a manual transmission and doesnt have driven a sports car

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Guys
can I suggest you refer to your owners manual...
The function of S mode varies with the type of transmission you have in your vehicle..
I have a 2015 2.4 CRV sport with the 5 speed auto transmission and 'flappy paddles'
When S mode selected and paddles used the transmission operates in manual mode..
In residential areas selecting S mode keeps the vehicle speed in check as well as providing snappier response when the traffic lights go green...
yes it is the 'fun' mode... which is cool... then again.. you choose the mode....

·
Registered
6 Posts
In my honest opinion, the latest generation CR-V is kind of a let down in terms of performance and provides little to no fun driving it. If I had to choose between a Rav4 and a CR-V, the Rav4 is slightly larger and definitely more fun to drive. The fact that we already have a Rav4 sitting in our driveway just made me choose the CR-V, as we don't need two Rav4's sitting on the driveway.

S Gear
- keeps the RPM's slightly higher, which 'almost' mimics a car that has a regular automatic transmission
- throttle response is only a tad bit better, but barely noticeable if you spend more time driving the CR-V in D Gear and happen to mash the gas pedal often while in D Gear

D Gear
- keeps the RPM's as low as possible, which mimics a Toyota Prius for better gas mileage and lower exhaust emissions
- almost impossible to bring the RPM's up past 3000 and if you do manage to get the RPM's up to 3000, RPM's will fall back down really fast to 1000 in an instant
- the D gear is so slow that it forces you to have to really mash the gas pedal so often to keep up with traffic and going fast enough to pass a car to change lanes that it kind of defeats the purpose of what it intended to do, which is to be environmentally friendly (in both saving gas and exhaust emissions)
- to give people an idea of what it's like to drive a CR-V in D Gear, imagine driving a Toyota Prius. those who say driving a CR-V in D Gear is fun and fast, probably has driven nothing, but a Toyota Prius or Honda Fit. I will say that starting from a complete stop, it seems like the Toyota Prius is a tad bit faster than the CR-V (as I have tested this and because the Prius weighs less than the CR-V to give the Prius an advantage)

ECON Mode
- nearly similar to D Gear, but further cripples the vehicle simulating a Toyota Prius that is completely out of gas and has its batteries almost dead
- only good if you are not in a hurry to get somewhere and there's barely any traffic on the road
- great if you have the guts to want to piss off other drivers by holding down traffic with a very long line of cars behind you

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
.....some drivers choose to get less mpg, sacrifice their engine to added wear and tear, and ignore speed limits. We all make choices.

·
Registered
256 Posts
As stated, It keeps the car in the power band more of time. That's it. Plain and simple. Yes, it is effective. Yes, fuel economy suffers. Nice to have the option.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

1 - 19 of 19 Posts