Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed on several occasions especially during parking that unlike any of my previous vehicles the CRV will sometimes lurch forward as I ease my foot off the brake a little and try to move in closer into a parking space.

It feels like the CVT is in a slightly higher gear than needed and once the brake is loose enough it surges forward 6 or so inches before dropping down to the lowest gear and moving more predictably like a regular automatic. The odd part is that it only happens sometimes:

Anybody else have this problem?

Rob

·
Super Moderator
1997, 2002, 2017 my expertese lies there
4,376 Posts
your car alwaysstarts off in the lowest gear there is no lower gear then the 1st gear Sorry but I need caffeen . Do you think it's more in the electronics of hte trans?

·
Super Moderator
1997, 2002, 2017 my expertese lies there
4,376 Posts
If it lurches get to the dealer you may have an issue, if you know how to fix even better.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I have observed an annoying lurch when creeping along in traffic. When stopped with foot on brake, the RPM is around 600. As I take my foot off the brake, the RPM jumps about 400 and the car jumps/lurches forward. Normally it isn't bothersome, but in traffic that's creeping along it is annoying.

·
Registered
2018 CR-V EX-L FWD Modern Steel Metallic
1,117 Posts
I have not noticed in my travels.

posts like this remind me how much I miss a driving a manual.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
286 Posts
I have noticed on several occasions especially during parking that unlike any of my previous vehicles the CRV will sometimes lurch forward as I ease my foot off the brake a little and try to move in closer into a parking space.

It feels like the CVT is in a slightly higher gear than needed and once the brake is loose enough it surges forward 6 or so inches before dropping down to the lowest gear and moving more predictably like a regular automatic. The odd part is that it only happens sometimes:

Rob
I've noticed a similar problem when I make my last little creep into the garage. If I let up just a tiny bit from the brake when stopped, the CRV seems to lurch just enough for me to notice.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've noticed a similar problem when I make my last little creep into the garage. If I let up just a tiny bit from the brake when stopped, the CRV seems to lurch just enough for me to notice.
Yep that's it! It's kind of frightening the first time it happens. I have gotten use to it, so I kind of keep back a few more inches than normal before easing off the brake.

Rob

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Yep that's it! It's kind of frightening the first time it happens. I have gotten use to it, so I kind of keep back a few more inches than normal before easing off the brake.

Rob
I don't have that problem..... I'll trade you the creep for no gas in oil Do we have a deal :=)

·
Super Moderator - How may I help?
3,294 Posts
I don't have that problem..... I'll trade you the creep for no gas in oil Do we have a deal :=)
That just wouldn't work, as you'd have to drive on the left side of the road! Or you could deliver US mail!

·
Registered
21 Posts

Rob
I know exactly the lurch you are talking about. When I pull into my back alley way there is a fairly substantial (although smooth) upward transition, and I always come at it very slowly, around 3-5 mph. When I am slowing down to that speed, I experience the lurch almost every time. The CVT can't seem to make up it's mind where it wants to be in the RPM range when slowing down to that low speed but not coming to a full stop. I have an LX btw.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Don't think it has anything to do with the CVT.....the Honda ECU programming "blips" the throttle. See the link in post #8.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
I'm thinking TC lockup. Unlike a conventional A/T, all it needs to do is get the car moving from a complete stop. After that, direct coupling throughout the entire rev, torque, and power band is fine.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Only thing similar I've noticed is starting off cold (regardless of weather) backing out of driveway, shifting to D and a slight hesitation before it moves forward. Has not got worse since new (4 mos.) but is consistent under those conditions. Will be interesting to see if it is worse in Winter.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts