1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Grew up and lived most of my life in Minnsnowta. Never had snow tires on any vehicle. Only ever had 1 AWD or 4x4 while there. My very last winter.

It just boils down to "knowing" how to drive in the winter stuff. Remember, AWD and 4x4 dont help you stop. They only help you get moving. Not with stopping. Many dont realize this.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
I bought a second set of wheels for winter tyres to save having to get someone to swapped over each time
I bought a second set of wheels for winter tires to save having to get someone to swapped over each time

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Grew up and lived most of my life in Minnsnowta. Never had snow tires on any vehicle. Only ever had 1 AWD or 4x4 while there. My very last winter.

It just boils down to "knowing" how to drive in the winter stuff. Remember, AWD and 4x4 dont help you stop. They only help you get moving. Not with stopping. Many dont realize this.
That's the point - it's the tire not the wheel system - i.e. AWD, FWD, RWD....and your driving ability or lack thereof...

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
I gotta disagree with you Honda4Life. They also stop shorter distance than A/S tires. Proven fact.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Reread what I wrote. Did I say the tires made a difference in stopping? No I didnt. I only talked about braking and AWD or 4wd, nwver tires. Please dont make assumptions or sig for something there isnt. Thanks.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I gotta disagree with you Honda4Life. They also stop shorter distance than A/S tires. Proven fact.
Agree with Rickman - click on the video link - they tested a 2015 CRV with winters and without - with winters the CRV stopped in about 300 feet - without winter tires - it took 670 feet to stop -that's the point - it's not the wheel system but two key factors - one is the tire itself - in this case - winters and the other factor is common sense - which is this case - still drive defensively/careful.....

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Agree with Rickman - click on the video link - they tested a 2015 CRV with winters and without - with winters the CRV stopped in about 300 feet - without winter tires - it took 670 feet to stop -that's the point - it's not the wheel system but two key factors - one is the tire itself - in this case - winters and the other factor is common sense - which is this case - still drive defensively/careful.....
Again, where did I say ANYTHING about braking with winter tires? Please show me where.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
You are correct H4L. I also reread what you wrote, and you were talking about the AWD/4X4 system , not the tires. My bad.

But regardless that you never used W/T, they are still better to have than not.

My CRV is bullet proof in the winter, txs to my winter tires. (I was gonna say my CRV was unstoppable in the winter), but that would have meant the W/T sucked.... ha-ha

·
Registered
633 Posts
Grew up in Northern Saskatchewan....parents never used winter tires..just All-season...but does that mean anything? Not at all.....The evidence is out there that winter tires will help one stop better in winter conditions! Dad just moved to Kamloops BC.....first time ever he bought winter tires!! Bought a 2nd set of rims and had the winter tires installed on them! Yes they are an expensive investment, but it could save ur life!

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
You are correct H4L. I also reread what you wrote, and you were talking about the AWD/4X4 system , not the tires. My bad.

I have driven a vehicle with winter tires. A 92 Accord on a frozen lake. They are nice yes but also give a sense of false security making a driver complacent and lax in their driving. I like to stay on edge and know exactly what they road conditions are. (There is a vid on this sire posted last winter by a 1st gen owner. It showed them crashing and they asked why they crashed. I was the only one righr out the box that knew why and asked 1 question which I got the answer I knew was coming. He had the cruise on and it was the entire reason for the crash.) I do know how to drive in the winter and on ice. Over 20yrs driving in that crap and never a single accident for me.

Move south, and it took less than 5yrs, a clear evening with dry roads and totalled a V as people here dont know how to drive.

Never had issues with a good A/S tire is all.

Different strokes for different folks as they say.

BTW, thank you for rereading what I had wrote. If you notice, I never editted the previous posts either.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Bear in mind that A/S tires are all over the place and that the OEM tires are generally poor snow performers. Some A/S tires are pretty decent in the snow, especially early in their tread life. The Bridgestone Dueler HP Sport A/S listed as OEM for a 2015 CR-V have horrible ratings for snow performance. Winter tires will always outperform A/S tires in the snow, and that means being able to turn or stop when the going gets slippery.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I live in the UK where the winters are not that bad but I still fit winter tyres because they are safer.
Would you fit cheap tyres because it's not worth say fitting Pirelli?

·
Registered
197 Posts
Hi All,

I've been debating - winter tires or all seasons with 4WD - can I get by without Winters - don't think so - interesting video from Consumer Reports - they tested a 2015 CRV with Winter tires vs. All Seasons - the evidence is pretty clear as to what choice you should be making....

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/magazine/2015/09/do-you-really-need-awd-in-the-snow/index.htm?video_id=4517691109001

Guess I will be getting Winter tires :eek:....my wallet is going to be lighter:(

Geek:cool:
This made me think of their three-way snow comparison of crossovers with their OEM three-seasons. In that the CR-V did worst, taking 451 feet to go from 60 to 0 (see the 2:05 point of the video) rather than the 668 feet in this article. So I presume that they did the braking tests for the two videos at different times with different test track snow conditions.

If winters reduce braking distance in snow by a factor of 310 feet / 668 feet = 0.464 then in the 3-way test the CR-V on winters would have braked in 0.464 x 451 feet = 209 feet and completely destroyed - by a factor of 2 - the RAV4 and Forester on their OEMs.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

My CRV is bullet proof in the winter, txs to my winter tires. (I was gonna say my CRV was unstoppable in the winter), but that would have meant the W/T sucked.... ha-ha
What brand/make/model of Winters do you have?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Dilemma? What dilemma? You can wear sandals and flip-flops in the winter. Do you?
LOL, best comment. Anyways, Im getting a new winter tire package, what do you guys just I get?

$899 Steel Wheels + 225 70 R16 Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V2
or
$980 Steel Wheels + 225 65 R17 4 Bridgestone Blizzak DMV2

This is the best deal in my area sadly.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts