Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

Thermostat

2012 28
I have 2020 crv awd and in colder weather, the car will not blow hot air until I start driving for few kilometres then gauge will go half way. If I come to stop and idle then gauge will fall to one bar after 10 minutes. This is problem getting in warm car in cold weather even after I start car idling for 10 minutes and even then gauge will not climb until driving at least kilometre. I have 7 year warranty and still only about 80,000 km but yet dealer says not covered under warranty. When google life of thermostat it claims 7 to 10 years before replacement.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
14,542 Posts
Poor heater performance is a common issue with the Gen5. (It's not a thermostat issue)

There are many topics regards 'slow to warm up' in the Gen5 area...some offer good advice, some...not so much.

Happy reading.

·
The. Admin. Istrator.
11,950 Posts
This is problem getting in warm car in cold weather even after I start car idling for 10 minutes and even then gauge will not climb until driving at least kilometre.
Said topic has been covered extensively. You could sit idling for a year and the engine wont warm up. It only warms up when driven.

This is a standard characteristic of the engine and is not a fault - its all built around efficiency - and no engine is efficient at idle. Its efficient when running/driven.

Best bet is to get in and drive, not waste fuel parked up idling.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Poor heater performance is a common issue with the Gen5. (It's not a thermostat issue)

There are many topics regards 'slow to warm up' in the Gen5 area...some offer good advice, some...not so much.

Happy reading.
Once outdoor temperature drops below freezing I start car remote from inside house so that when I get into car it’s at reasonable driving temperature and windows start warm help melt ice and snow. Is that not reason for having remote starter. To get into cold car where your breath fogging up windows because so cold defeats purpose remote start. It’s not as if I’m idling car for extended periods .

·
The. Admin. Istrator.
11,950 Posts
Is that not reason for having remote starter. To get into cold car where your breath fogging up windows because so cold defeats purpose remote start.
Remote starts have no link to the outside weather.

Its a feature amongst many for convenience.

As your manual/handbook will testify, the quickest way to get to ambient operating temperatures is by driving the car. (Failing that, consider moving where its warmer!!) :)

·
Premium Member
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
10,500 Posts
I have 2020 crv awd and in colder weather, the car will not blow hot air until I start driving for few kilometres then gauge will go half way. If I come to stop and idle then gauge will fall to one bar after 10 minutes. This is problem getting in warm car in cold weather even after I start car idling for 10 minutes and even then gauge will not climb until driving at least kilometre. I have 7 year warranty and still only about 80,000 km but yet dealer says not covered under warranty. When google life of thermostat it claims 7 to 10 years before replacement.
All of this has been discussed and covered many times here in the forum. Let me recap the short summary of facts for you though:

Your vehicle is behaving normally, which is why no dealer can address your concerns under warranty. This is as much about you adapting to the vehicle as it adapts to you.

1) The vehicle is designed to not turn on the heater for the cabin until the engine reaches a specific temperature (roughly 100 degree F). And I get why, because there is no point in blowing cold air.

1a) In cold weather season, you will get the best performance by leaving the climate control system on auto. It is smarter than most drivers at controlling cabin temperature to be honest

2) The 1.5T engine is extremely thermally efficient (heat is wasted fuel economy). You have to actually drive a 1.5T in order to consume sufficient fuel to actually warm this small engine. The 1.5T engine will NEVER warm up just sitting idling, even in 70 degree weather. Reason: Honda has put a lot of effort into reducing fuel consumption under various conditions. At idle your engine will only consume about a quart of fuel per hour.

3) The temperature gauge is NOT linear. The engine is warm enough and will blow warm air even before you see the first lighted tick mark on the gauge (which displays at ~ 140 F degrees engine temperature). Once the first tick mark displays, each additional tick mark = 5 degree F. Once the vehicle reaches normal temperature (about 60% up the gauge, give or take) no more tick marks will be displayed unless/until the engine faces an overheating condition (rare for this engine).

4) It is normal when standing idle at an intersection for the engine temperature gauge to fluctuate in very cold weather.

5) in the 2017 and 2018 models, Honda made a field update to improve cabin heating, and most owners reported a good improvement compared to pre-change. But your CRV will have shipped from the factory with this fix incorporated already.

This is why heated steering wheels and seats are offered on modern Hondas and are popular in cold weather. They will warm you quickly, while the vehicle works on warming itself to a temperature to feed the heating system.. while you drive.

·
Premium Member
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
10,500 Posts
Once outdoor temperature drops below freezing I start car remote from inside house so that when I get into car it’s at reasonable driving temperature and windows start warm help melt ice and snow. Is that not reason for having remote starter. To get into cold car where your breath fogging up windows because so cold defeats purpose remote start. It’s not as if I’m idling car for extended periods .
What worked in older bigger less fuel efficient vehicles does not scale to a modern small efficient turbo engine vehicle. This is a more a case of you not understanding your vehicle and it's thermal characteristics (per my posted comments above).

I can tell from your comment here that you are not allowing the vehicle to operate with climate control to Automatic. If you were, your windows would not fog as the climate control system will use chilled dry air (yes it will run the AC to the window vents) to keep the window fog free initially until the cabin warms.

Advice: Set your climate control system to AUTO, set the desired cabin temperature (be reasonsable here, as 70 degree as the set point s is more than sufficient for driving). Setting it to maximum will not help the cabin warm faster, so set it for somewhere between 65 and 70 dergees and leave it alone. Hop in, fire up the heated seats and steering wheel, and drive, as that is the best practice for very cold weather conditions for a generation 5 CRV.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Just curious if you have replaced the cabin air filter in the last year ?
I have ran into issues on multiple vehicles not just Honda with poor heating.
Actual the last was a friend's Civic as wintery weather rolled in .
She had no idea when it was last changed as Honda had done all her service.
For less than$20 I threw a new one in for her and heating issue resolved itself .
Also she has asthma ....bet the dirty cabin air filter was not helping that issue either

·
Premium Member
2022 Honda CR-V Touring
164 Posts
My commute is less than 2 miles, i hardly ever even see the red marker appear on the gauge when kts been below 40 in the mornings. But agree bun warmers and steering wheel is on. And to prove the point i left the engine running for probably 10 mons or so as i grabbed a few things at the shop to take off again and still had not seen the red hash mark till i got about 5 miles out. And it stays indoors at night. Cant imagine what or how long full operating temp would take if left outside. But all 100% normal.

·
The. Admin. Istrator.
11,950 Posts
Cant imagine what or how long full operating temp would take if left outside.
Doesnt take long at all.

Mine is outside, lowest temp outside of -14C, started up, drove off - cabin warm in 5 mins.

Reactions: lmaxim

·
Registered
700 Posts
In Northern Ontario in the coldest weather, its not uncommon to see people idling vehicles (largely pickup trucks) when inside coffee shops etc. Main purpose is to keep the windows from frosting up on the inside as well as maintaining the heat.

·
Registered
171 Posts

As your manual/handbook will testify, the quickest way to get to ambient operating temperatures is by driving the car. (Failing that, consider moving where its warmer!!) :)
With regard to your comment stating "remote start has no link to outside weather". If that were the case, then why would the seat heaters and heated steering wheel be activated when I use remote start in cold weather and in the summer time when I use it, the AC is activated?

·
Registered
140 Posts
2017 CRV EX-L Turbo with Nav. By design the CRV has a very efficient, cold running engine. I can drive 2-3 miles of lower speed driving then 15 miles on the interstate at 75 - 80 mph so that the temperature gauge reads the top of where it should be. I then sit for 30 minutes in the parking lot drinking coffee & reading my newspaper at 40 degrees while the CRV idles; the temperature gauge will drop to almost nothing. If you want heat, drive the CRV at higher speeds. The cold running engine & lack of heater heat at lower speeds in the winter time is a characteristic of the current CRV's and generally not a flaw or defect under warranty. (Not to say you can't have some type of heater defect so ask the dealership.)

Almost every other car with a water radiator I have had, had a summer and winter (hotter) thermostat available. The exception was the air-cooled Volkswagen but I installed a gasoline fired heater in it. (Time of much lower gasoline prices.) I don't know if the CRV has a winter thermostat. (Nothing shows up when I Google CRV winter thermostat.) You can ask the dealership if there is a winter thermostat for the CRV but I would not install a hotter thermostat in the CRV or partially block airflow to the radiator unless it is something allowed by Honda.

·
Registered
2019 Touring AWD
26 Posts
With regard to your comment stating "remote start has no link to outside weather". If that were the case, then why would the seat heaters and heated steering wheel be activated when I use remote start in cold weather and in the summer time when I use it, the AC is activated?
My heated seats don't come on when using the remote start. They come on after hitting the start button. I'm not sure about the heated steering wheel. It was a dealer add-in on the 2019 Touring (at least the ones sold in Texas) even though it came with the heated seats.

·
The. Admin. Istrator.
11,950 Posts
Suggest you read the second line in the piece you quoted :)

Also, since we Brits dont get remote start, we have no idea what it does/not connect to in terms of other cabin features like heated seats etc.

So as said, its a convenience feature that can be used at any time of the year - its not a "winter specific" function.

·
Registered
2019 Touring AWD
26 Posts
Suggest you read the second line in the piece you quoted :)

Also, since we Brits dont get remote start, we have no idea what it does/not connect to in terms of other cabin features like heated seats etc.

So as said, its a convenience feature that can be used at any time of the year - its not a "winter specific" function.
That was my point - my heated seats don't come on with remote start when it's cold. Not even when I took it to Colorado last winter and the temp dropped to 0 F. So no link to the weather in mine.

·
Registered
45 Posts

My 2018 Touring model uses outside temperature to determine to either use the heat or A/C when using the remote start.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts