Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First post as the owner of a brand new 2016 EXL

Browsing these forums, I put together a list of items to buy and things to do. And I don't even have the car yet haha

1) Weather Tech mats and cargo liner - check
2) Weather Tech window visors - check

3) Honda splash guards
4) Honda wheel locks
5) Honda side moldings
6) 3M Clear Bra - - - plan on keeping this car until it does so figure I might as well go all in. 3M Scotchguard Pro. Everywhere and anywhere it can be done lol
7) Tinting - - - trying to figure out the percentages but it seems like 35% for front windows are OK. I would like to be as low as the back windows but might be illegal in NY. Also, don't see the point in tinting the top portion of the windshield. Seems odd to have a clear demarcation between tinted and non tinted on the windshield. But I can be swayed lol
8) HID lights - - - holding off because u have to learn what these do lol. I'm not a car person so learning all this on the fly
9) Headlight protector?
10) Bumper protector
11) Something to protect the top of the bumper

Am I missing anything? Lol

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
136 Posts
I would highly recommend doing the 3M Clear Bra yourself by using Invisible Mask like i did. They cut the Scotchgard Pro to fit the specific body parts you are looking to cover. I did 1/3rd hood coverage, full bumper, side mirrors, side fenders, headlights, door edges, door cups, and 35% tint for front two windows for $413 total. But i did all the work myself. When i asked for 3M Clear Bra quotes from professional businesses they asked for $2,000+ for less coverage than i put on it myself. Do yourself a favor and save $1,600+ in labor costs and do it yourself. I'm guessing NY is an expensive state so i doubt there will be cheap installers there.

http://www.crvownersclub.com/forums/18-exterior/98058-invisible-mask-3m-paint-protection-film.html

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would highly recommend doing the 3M Clear Bra yourself by using Invisible Mask like i did. They cut the Scotchgard Pro to fit the specific body parts you are looking to cover. I did 1/3rd hood coverage, full bumper, side mirrors, side fenders, headlights, door edges, door cups, and 35% tint for front two windows for $413 total. But i did all the work myself. When i asked for 3M Clear Bra quotes from professional businesses they asked for $2,000+ for less coverage than i put on it myself. Do yourself a favor and save $1,600+ in labor costs and do it yourself. I'm guessing NY is an expensive state so i doubt there will be cheap installers there.
Initially, I was thinking of doing it on my own but if it's similar to the process of putting on the clear screen guard on my cell phone (going slowly, using a flat surface to keep bubbles out, etc.), then not sure I'm equipped lol

How difficult it is? Also, do I need a relatively dust free environment? My garage area is small so would maybe need to do this parked on the street.

Let me know what you think.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Initially, I was thinking of doing it on my own but if it's similar to the process of putting on the clear screen guard on my cell phone (going slowly, using a flat surface to keep bubbles out, etc.), then not sure I'm equipped lol

How difficult it is? Also, do I need a relatively dust free environment? My garage area is small so would maybe need to do this parked on the street.

Let me know what you think.
Hmm..maybe dust free would have made more of a difference. You clean the surface with a water and baby shampoo solution. Make sure the vehicle hasn't been recently waxed. If it has, then you need to strip the wax beforehand.

I won't sugarcoat it, i'd give it a 5 or 6 (out of 10) on difficulty scale. I did all of it outside on my driveway (I have a two-car garage but its easier to see in sunlight) in probably 8-10 hours of time. I did it over two days, not all at once. But it was my first time and i'm probably more of a perfectionist than most people. I wasn't able to get all the bubbles out. I have some super tiny bubbles in certain spots but unless you walk up to the car and look at it you won't notice it. There's pictures in my thread link i gave above. You can look at it for yourself.

FYI, their headlight pieces don't work right. I had to cut them. But the headlight on the 2015-16 CR-V does that weird 90 degree angle on the side that would make it difficult to make a one-piece solution that works with it. Upper front bumper piece was a pain to get down too. I had to cut it in one spot on both sides to get it to lay down.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Just adding my 2 cents re 3M film application. :)

I tried it. Made a mess. Will not do it again. $75 for 10 inches on the hood. Done by pro's. That's what I have now, and also on my two previous CRV's. (It was cheaper back then) 3M is a great product. Lasts forever. No regrets.

I applaud NIU_Huskies. He has more skill, and patience, than me. But as to doing it on fenders, mirrors and bumpers, where do you stop? Cover the whole vehicle? But I may also get the front of the fenders done next time. Have a stone mark on mine.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, I couldn't do it either lol

I'm going to get it professionally done. Some in keeping the car forever, the upfront costs can be amortized over a longer period. Also, probably going with Xpel over 3m. Been reading other forums and it seems that's the consensus for higher end cars. What's good for Porsches is more than enough for my CRV lol

Debating between full wrap vs only critical points. Depends on the quote I receive. Also wanna do tinting

·
Registered
136 Posts
I just can't justify paying someone money for something i can do myself. But i enjoy doing things myself. Looking at the end result and saying i did that has a certain reward for me. I figure $2,000+ cost for the clear bra i could get the car re-painted for that much.

Oil changes, filter changes, power steering, coolant, etc. i will do all that myself.

When i called four different Honda dealerships about the cost of doing a transmission fluid change and the cheapest is $200 and then i discover a YouTube video showing me how to do it with $35 worth of fluids and a crush washer i just don't see the point of paying someone $170 for 30 minutes worth of labor.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just can't justify paying someone money for something i can do myself. But i enjoy doing things myself. Looking at the end result and saying i did that has a certain reward for me. I figure $2,000+ cost for the clear bra i could get the car re-painted for that much.

Oil changes, filter changes, power steering, coolant, etc. i will do all that myself.

When i called four different Honda dealerships about the cost of doing a transmission fluid change and the cheapest is $200 and then i discover a YouTube video showing me how to do it with $35 worth of fluids and a crush washer i just don't see the point of paying someone $170 for 30 minutes worth of labor.
I am TOTALLY on board with ya. I opted out of many options at the dealership because of the ridiculous prices, but later found out how much cheaper the OEM parts were aftermarket, and also how incredibly easy to install some of this stuff is. I am by no means a car person, other than knowing what looks nice lol. But I am going to install splash guards, wheel locks, side door molding, etc. all on my own and it should be relatively simple.

With that being said, I know my limitations and not going to do the film haha. Actually, I might just hold off on this. What I really want is the OEM door sills. The self-installation scares me as it involves taking some of the interior apart and electrical stuff, so iffy about that.

Anyone have recommendations on door sills and rear bumper-type protection?

·
Registered
30 Posts
I opted out of many options at the dealership because of the ridiculous prices, but later found out how much cheaper the OEM parts were aftermarket, and also how incredibly easy to install some of this stuff is.
In my area, dealers put tons of accessories on the vehicle, before they put them on the lot, without giving you a chance to pick the ones you want. Then they try to charge $2,000 to $3,000 for what actually costs only $800.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts