Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we just got our white/black exl fwd this Sunday. I was wondering if some of you that have had your for a while could share some of the thinks you wish you knew earlier.
Maybe it's a radio setting or some other features you didn't know it could do.
I have only driven it once as this is my wife's new DD

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,154 Posts
i wished it was Smaller

·
Registered
137 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
1) Order the full manual on the honda website, if you want paper instead of a CD

2) The roof rack (if you got) is considerablly scaled down and placed back farther from Gen 3 and earlier.

3) Your Valet key is inside the remote

4) Theres a thread on here that can help you update your maps (if you got Nav) if they are way out of date.

5) Check your tire pressure lots of dealers skimp on dealer prep thats supposed to bleed the tire to driving pressure.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I like the ACC cruise control, wish I had known it disables everytime you press the brake for a moment and you might not realize it. It works much better maintaining distance and stopping than does the emergency braking function which does not even flash "BRAKE" on the display until it's almost too late.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Specifically for the EX.

CONS:
- No garage door transmitter in EX. (I know this is in the vehicle trim specs, but seriously? They put in all the tech for LKAS, ACC, RDM, backup cam, android-based headunit, etc, but no $20 HomeLink on the EX??)
- No aux line-in jack for the headunit. Everything is bluetooth or usb.
- No HDMI input as in the 2016 CR-V.

PROS:
+ When LKAS and ACC are used at the same time, the car can drive itself for a few seconds before it complains that steering is required. Kind of like a rudimentary version of Tesla's Autopilot. Kinda cool for a ~$30k car!
+ Cargo capacity is HUGE! We've hauled large wood bookshelfs in this thing and everything fits!
+ MPG is very good for how large the car is. (Engine displacement has a lot to do with this though. The supercharger in my last car had a larger volume than the CR-V's entire engine assembly!)
+ Seats are very comfortable, even in the EX.
+ Headunit is really an integrated Android device running KitKat! Hacking this thing to be a full-fledged tablet/media player was a piece of cake!
+ Lots of awesome safety tech for the price!

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
What did you do and how did you do it? I'm curious about doing something similar.
Yes inquiring minds would like to know. So far everything I have seen sounds like a 50/50 proposal on either trashing the unit or getting it to work.

Rob

·
Registered
95 Posts
Mostly cosmetic...

Fav feature: Two taps on the door handle grooves after closing will lock and alarm for you. Didn't discover this right away. (And I haven't set up the "walk away" lock features.)

Set the electronic parking brake before turning off the ignition switch, not after. Battery drains.

It's too easy to have the keyfob unlock button accidentally pressed in a sequence (press once, wait, hold down) that will unexpectedly open your windows and moonroof. No way to disable it. Buy a silicone keyfob cover; insert a piece of an old credit card or some other protection between it and the buttons so they don't get hit accidentally -- and especially for the second key.

The gray upholstery at least is easily marked; don't wait on seat covers. Ditto the black plastic on the sills; buy a 3M type of clear tape protector to apply.

Develop the habit of calling "clear!" when you lower the hatch, or someone will get beaned sooner or later, lol.

Unless you're a guru yourself, make the sales person take you thru a full setup routine, seriously, especially with the electronics, or find someone who is a guru. The manual might have everything there but is sometimes unclear.

ECON mode does not seem to help gas usage.

Replace the dealer mats (seem to just attract dirt under them) with some all weather.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Wish I had known the leg room was so short on both front seats. I am not tall, 6'1 but have a bad left knee and have to turn my body to get into the car. I had a 2006 Avalon Limited and had no problem with it.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Mostly cosmetic...

Fav feature: Two taps on the door handle grooves after closing will lock and alarm for you. Didn't discover this right away. (And I haven't set up the "walk away" lock features.)

Set the electronic parking brake before turning off the ignition switch, not after. Battery drains.

It's too easy to have the keyfob unlock button accidentally pressed in a sequence (press once, wait, hold down) that will unexpectedly open your windows and moonroof. No way to disable it. Buy a silicone keyfob cover; insert a piece of an old credit card or some other protection between it and the buttons so they don't get hit accidentally -- and especially for the second key.

The gray upholstery at least is easily marked; don't wait on seat covers. Ditto the black plastic on the sills; buy a 3M type of clear tape protector to apply.

Develop the habit of calling "clear!" when you lower the hatch, or someone will get beaned sooner or later, lol.

Unless you're a guru yourself, make the sales person take you thru a full setup routine, seriously, especially with the electronics, or find someone who is a guru. The manual might have everything there but is sometimes unclear.

ECON mode does not seem to help gas usage.

Replace the dealer mats (seem to just attract dirt under them) with some all weather.
In regard to your comment,

My battery drained at least 10 times before I had the TSB 17-032 software update applied and it didn't matter whether I set parking brake before or after I shut the car off. The software update took care of the issue though.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts