Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've found over the years that there were things I wish I had negotiated for or asked for when purchasing a new car. Some things may be items that aren't turned on, activated, etc. I'm wondering what things you wished you'd have negotiated for when you bought your CRV?

Some things that I've done (or wish I'd done)
a) No stickers, plates, etc. advertising the dealer I bought from
b) An extra fob (they are expensive afterwards)
c) My truck didn't come with the Daytime Running Lights enabled (required a dealer visit and some negotiating to have them turn them on)
d) Latest version of maps or lifetime map updates for the nav.
e) Full size spare (this may not be possible on some cars but even trucks sometimes have smaller tires)

That's all I can think of right now but thought I'd see what CRV owners think should have been included, etc. as I'll most likely be getting one soon!

Kevin

·
Registered
501 Posts
For me it’s not about throwing something extra in, its about the bottom line price and I picked the best price for the vehicle with accessories I wanted from 3 local dealers who knew I had the invoice price from Carcost Canada and also knew I was purchasing no additional extras such as extended warranty etc with no trade or Honda financing. I had visited each dealer and test drove the vehicle at each dealer earlier. They knew I was serious and I had them each email me a final full quote and told them I would pick the lowest of the three. The winning dealer which happens to be the closest to me offered $100.00 over invoice and included a $150.00 gift card to use at the dealership for oil changes or parts.

·
Premium Member
2019 Acura RDX Aspec
1,706 Posts
Nothing, the minute you want you give them leverage to offset it somewhere else.
Our crv had nitrogen in the tires for $500 i told him to suck it out.
They removed the cost lol

i do all my upgrades, accessories and things afterwards and not being charged interest on them

·
Registered
501 Posts
Nothing, the minute you want you give them leverage to offset it somewhere else.

i do all my upgrades, accessories and things afterwards and not being charged interest on them
Wow $500. For Nitrogen? Slightly off topic but definitely not worth it for any cost. In our warm summer and cold winter, tires with nitrogen still take wild pressure swings and I prefer regularly checking and filling my own tires at home rather than needing to run to a dealer even if the deal includes lifetime fills.

·
Registered
2018 CR-V Touring Modern Steel
64 Posts
Wow $500. For Nitrogen? Slightly off topic but definitely not worth it for any cost. In our warm summer and cold winter, tires with nitrogen still take wild pressure swings and I prefer regularly checking and filling my own tires at home rather than needing to run to a dealer even if the deal includes lifetime fills.
My Touring came with everything, including Nitrogen filled tires and lifetime fills, no extra cost. Earth's atmosphere is 78% Nitrogen, so eventually they will be 78% too. Only thing I would wish for is the HUD, which is not available here.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Stripped and unmolested by the dealership........exactly the way I wanted it.

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,662 Posts
I would require (as a condition for purchase) a lifetime free subscription (guaranteed in writing) to the online factory service manual. IMO this should come with the car for this kind of money anyway. You want to sell me a car for this price and then charge me money for access to the manual? Not gonna happen.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I thought of one other thing that might be worth while if you didn't get one of the higher end packages. Maybe larger tires/rims or if there's a difference in the tires they install, maybe a different brand? I don't know what tires they put on but typically the OEM tires aren't all that great. This might be difficult to get them to swap something out unless they had some laying around.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Oh yeah, one time map update for navigation would have been a useful option as well. Instead I got a new car with expired map with no good idea to update.

·
Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
7,554 Posts
I've found over the years that there were things I wish I had negotiated for or asked for when purchasing a new car. Some things may be items that aren't turned on, activated, etc. I'm wondering what things you wished you'd have negotiated for when you bought your CRV?

Some things that I've done (or wish I'd done)
a) No stickers, plates, etc. advertising the dealer I bought from
b) An extra fob (they are expensive afterwards)
c) My truck didn't come with the Daytime Running Lights enabled (required a dealer visit and some negotiating to have them turn them on)
d) Latest version of maps or lifetime map updates for the nav.
e) Full size spare (this may not be possible on some cars but even trucks sometimes have smaller tires)

That's all I can think of right now but thought I'd see what CRV owners think should have been included, etc. as I'll most likely be getting one soon!

Kevin
You can negotiate for anything you choose, but it does not mean you will successful. Prices are very well calculated and are based on what is bundled onto the vehicle. There are some "soft costs" that you can negotiate effectively (like price on HondaCare, dealer installed security system, and other things that a dealer may do as a standard on all their vehicles on the lot) because they have a high profit margin baked in by and for the dealer.. so they have room to haggle.

Keep in mind.... dealers look at their bottom line price for the vehicle as a whole, so you are better off negotiating your best possible price (using outside sources like TrueCar, etc) and then taking your savings and buying and adding this things you want... which are essentially "after market" additions to the vehicle. Some dealers actually pack vehicles with aftermarket items, and when negotiating, will delete some or all of them if the customer wants a particularly low price or does not want the items pre-included.

Note: I find your list personal wants/needs to be yours, not mine, and not that common a list of "negotiating chips. In particular, I doubt very much you will get anywhere on b, d, and e on your want list. For "d", the dealer has no control over that at all. For "e" it is unlikely they are interested in fronting the cost of a wheel+tire at no charge to you... nor will they have the items in stock for any sort of negotiation element in a purchase. As for "b" more then likely they will screw it up... because the vehicles are configured for 2 fobs from the factory, and adding additional fobs is not something dealers normally do.. even though it is possible.

·
Super Moderator
7,554 Posts
Destination charge. I don't recall ever paying a destination charge for a TV that comes from Mexico or Korea. Why do I pay a destination charge for a vehicle made/assembled in the USA and/or Canada?
Because a CRV is NOT a TV.

A CRV weighs thousands of lbs and must be transported by some combination of ship, rail, truck to the destination. Because of weight.. it is expensive to ship.

TVs weigh on average 30-80 lbs now days and can be easily bulk shipped by air as well as sea or land. It is easy to bake the shipping costs of a modern TV into the sales price of the TV as it is just a few dollars.

For motor vehicles, in the old days... destination charges varied by distance shipped.. which is why they were called out separately. Now days, most manufacturers appear to use a flat fee for this... and I doubt any of them want to be the first one to "bake that cost" into the sales cost of the vehicle. So.. it is an artifact of an earlier era and no manufacturer in a very competitive selling market wants to bury (bake) the cost into the regular sales price of the vehicle.

I'm sure you can manage to cope with this reality. :)

·
Registered
2018 CR-V AWD Touring
371 Posts
Because a CRV is NOT a TV.

A CRV weighs thousands of lbs and must be transported by some combination of ship, rail, truck to the destination. Because of weight.. it is expensive to ship.

TVs weigh on average 30-80 lbs now days and can be easily bulk shipped by air as well as sea or land. It is easy to bake the shipping costs of a modern TV into the sales price of the TV as it is just a few dollars.
OK, so why does one pay a dealer destination charge for a factory pick-up? I'm not sure if Honda offers this, but other manufactures do.

BTW: I know what you are going to say :), doesn't mean it's fair.

·
Super Moderator
7,554 Posts
OK, so why does one pay a dealer destination charge for a factory pick-up? I'm not sure if Honda offers this, but other manufactures do.

BTW: I know what you are going to say :), doesn't mean it's fair.
Since I am nowhere near any of the factories, I cannot respond in any objective way to your question. Nor can I comment on differences between different manufacturers destination charge policies.

But your question/comment does demonstrate that someone wanting to press a point or grievance, can always find a corner case to support their point or grievance. :)

·
Registered
2017 CR-V EX-L w/ NAV
1,029 Posts

My CRV had to be gotten from another dlr and they had already put on mudguards and wheel locks. Told them I wasn't paying for them and they could remove them. It either cost more to remove or they didn't want to hold up the sale so they just gave them to me. I also always get them to throw in a ball cap with the car manf. logo on it. I wear ball caps all the time so it's something I'll use and gives the dlr free adv. since I won't let them put their stickers and plate holders on my car. I still wear an ACURA cap i got with a TSX from 2010.

·
Premium Member
2019 Acura RDX Aspec
1,706 Posts
My CRV had to be gotten from another dlr and they had already put on mudguards and wheel locks. Told them I wasn't paying for them and they could remove them. It either cost more to remove or they didn't want to hold up the sale so they just gave them to me. I also always get them to throw in a ball cap with the car manf. logo on it. I wear ball caps all the time so it's something I'll use and gives the dlr free adv. since I won't let them put their stickers and plate holders on my car. I still wear an ACURA cap i got with a TSX from 2010.
Hah nice

when i got my tsx in 2005 my father dropped me at the dealer n somehow got them to give him an acura polo.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts