Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
  1. I've found over the years that there were things I wish I had negotiated for or asked for when purchasing a new car. Some things may be items that aren't turned on, activated, etc. I'm wondering what things you wished you'd have negotiated for when you bought your CRV?
Some things that I've done (or wish I'd done)
a) No stickers, plates, etc. advertising the dealer I bought from
b) An extra fob (they are expensive afterwards)
c) My truck didn't come with the Daytime Running Lights enabled (required a dealer visit and some negotiating to have them turn them on)
d) Latest version of maps or lifetime map updates for the nav.
e) Full size spare (this may not be possible on some cars but even trucks sometimes have smaller tires)

That's all I can think of right now but thought I'd see what CRV owners think should have been included, etc. as I'll most likely be getting one soon!

Kevin
They wanted me to pay for the fabulous blinking top brake light: $300. I said, is that a Honda option? They said it was aftermarket. Then they said it would be $100, and I got them to take it off. That can be very annoying to drivers behind you. I would have added roof rails. I think nitrogen in tires is snake oil. It's more important to keep your inflation right.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Update navigation map - I didn't know I needed to update until this week :(
I negotiated the CR-V rubber mats
2017 and up (don't know about the earlier ones) come with a Garmin map system that you can upgrade yourself after downloading the Garmin app to your computer. Look in the manual for how to do it and dedicate a 8 GB USB stick in perpetuity to the process. The book says it can take up to an hour during which you have to keep the engine running. It actually takes about 15 minutes, so after you have prepared the USB stick, do the update in the car the next time you have to drive somewhere for 20-30 minutes. I just did the 2020 update, which was my second. Got my 18 in August of 18, did the first update in Feb 2019, and the second just now. If your manual doesn't have the procedure, go online and get a copy of the 600+ page manual.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Things I have negotiated and received:
1.) Free oil changes for life (while owning the car)
2.) Free car washes
3.) No sales tax
4.) No advertisements
5.) Car mats
6.) Software upgrades for GPS
7.) Tire upgrades

·
Registered
2 Posts
I negotiate the best price PRIOR to setting foot in the dealership, then negotiate the trade-in price at the dealership Because I realize there is NO WAY for them to offer a valid trade in price for your vehicle, without them seeing and touching it. Everyone says their vehicle is in excellent shape, but they need to verify this, prior to giving you the top price you're requesting.
I don't pay DEALER FEES or the inflated prices for dealer installed anything, because they are marked up and inflated to be all profit for the dealer. That includes pin striping, fabric or paint sealant, Nitrogen in the tires, mud flaps, wheel locks, or anything else they throw in there, to add to their bottom line.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I wish I'd requested an unmolested vehicle without the "Karr" alarm installed. Of course I declined the cost of the accessory, but the unit was already installed, and I had to surgically remove it wire by wire as a suspect the first time my battery died. (Before I realized Honda had a battery problem in 2018.) While the wiring is back to original, the physical wiring will never be "factory new", and there are two holes under the dash where the unit was screwed into it.

The addon car alarm from the dealer is (usually) not a good deal, but getting a car fresh before they've installed the module is better than having it sit there as a suspect for electrical problems or remove it like an alien parasite from your car.

Dan
2018 CR-V EX: I drive so much, they had me at "Adaptive Cruise Control"!

·
Registered
44 Posts
I've found over the years that there were things I wish I had negotiated for or asked for when purchasing a new car. Some things may be items that aren't turned on, activated, etc. I'm wondering what things you wished you'd have negotiated for when you bought your CRV?

c) My truck didn't come with the Daytime Running Lights enabled (required a dealer visit and some negotiating to have them turn them on)
e) Full size spare (this may not be possible on some cars but even trucks sometimes have smaller tires)

That's all I can think of right now but thought I'd see what CRV owners think should have been included, etc. as I'll most likely be getting one soon!

Kevin
2017 CRV EX-L with Nav+Turbo. Add: NAVIGATION, LED HEADLIGHTS & KICK UNDERNEATH TAILGATE OPEN.
**Navigation came installed with the vehicle but I had never had Navigation before & did not realize how useful it is. Now I use it all the time instead of paper maps. Lower trim levels don't have NAV. I think after several years you do have to pay about $1,000 per year for continued use so you either pay or buy a new vehicle or don't use.
**LED headlights could improve the nighttime driving since the regular headlights are not that great. Many CRV options such as LED come with upper trim level & I don't know if it can added to lower trim levels like NAV can. I regret that I did not go to the highest trim level to get LED but as a safety factor Honda should include LED headlights on all trim levels. The automatic high beams help on long stretches of Texas roads where there is not that much nighttime traffic.
**KICK UNDERNEATH TAILGATE OPEN. I don't know if that is a CRV option but it would have been useful.
**Dealer had added about $1,000 of options such as wheel locks which I negotiated for them to remove from the price but leave on the vehicle. Wheel locks are to help keep expensive wheels from being stolen but I have already had a case of a HONDA dealer doing something; over tightening a lug or using the wrong key, etc which split the lug and caused replacement of the wheel locks. Also, if you lose the wheel lock key there is a problem

·
Registered
562 Posts
at the right price, the dealer would give them to you. no dealer is going to give you extra wheels, are you kidding?
No, I am not kidding. We are having a hypothetical discussion here. Chill out.

It is normal over here to get a set of winter tires as an incentive at the right moment. It's about the same cost for the dealer as a set of wheels.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
2.) Free car washes
3.) No sales tax
4.) No advertisements
5.) Car mats
7.) Tire upgrades
Wow …. I'd hire you to do my next purchase!

·
Registered
844 Posts
I thought of another thing... how about window tinting.
It's not a bad idea but on some of these aftermarket requests you have to be careful - you know that they will put the absolute cheapest tint on. Best strategy is to negotiate for cash or genuine accessories / service / etc.

Good discussion though food for thought.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
It's not a bad idea but on some of these aftermarket requests you have to be careful - you know that they will put the absolute cheapest tint on. Best strategy is to negotiate for cash or genuine accessories / service / etc.

Good discussion though food for thought.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
That is so true. I've found that to be the best tactic when purchasing a house. Just negotiate a lower cost and do what you want with what you want.

Now... on the new Hybrids I doubt they'll negotiate a lower price but they might throw something in that really doesn't cost them much (or not).

·
Registered
101 Posts
2.) Free car washes
3.) No sales tax
4.) No advertisements
5.) Car mats
7.) Tire upgrades
"No Sales Tax" ??

I'm calling BS on that. Or it's just the color of money and the "total cash price" for the vehicle wasn't really discounted.

·
Registered
2017 CRV EX AWD
659 Posts
"No Sales Tax" ??

I'm calling BS on that. Or it's just the color of money and the "total cash price" for the vehicle wasn't really discounted.
i think people are forgetting this is a ‘what you would want’ thread

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've found over the years that there were things I wish I had negotiated for or asked for when purchasing a new car. Some things may be items that aren't turned on, activated, etc. I'm wondering what things you wished you'd have negotiated for when you bought your CRV?

Kevin
I always tell them no dealership advertising of any sort on the car. My dealer threw in OEM all-weather floor mats and cargo liner.

·
Registered
4 Posts
"No Sales Tax" ??

Sorry to disappoint you, but I've refused to pay sales taxes on several new car purchases over the years. I trade about every five years. When they come to me with their "final price" I tell them, everything looks good except the sales tax. They huff and puff, but I leave the dealership and tell them when they're ready to sell the car, they have my number. Once by the time I got home (I live ten minutes away) there was a message on my answering machine begging me to come back, that they would agree to my offer.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
I think nitrogen in tires is snake oil. It's more important to keep your inflation right.
Considering that air is 78% Nitrogen, I have to agree with your assessment. :)

And, given that the molecular weight of oxygen is 16 and nitrogen is 14, it really is small potatoes. And being oxygen free inside the tire as a method of avoiding oxidation is completely negated by the fact that the entire exterior of the tire is exposed 7/24 to air.

I'm sure for competitive racing, there can be small advantages to nitrogen in the tires, but that is clearly a case of going after every single small return on effort you can get in a competitive field where small returns can mean something.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Roof rails and cross bars would’ve been cheaper in the deal than later on. But at the time I had no need for them on this car.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Roof rails and cross bars would’ve been cheaper in the deal than later on. But at the time I had no need for them on this car.
Heh, I did get the crossbars for my Gen3, never ended up using them. Turned out that the fold down middle rear seat was great for snowboards which I usually loaded in the roof box in my HR-V previously.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts