Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I’m new to the forum and relatively new to Honda (we own a 2001 Accord). I’m looking for an older economical AWD vehicle. I’m generally a Subaru guy (our 5 cars other than the Accord are all Subaru’s) but I’m looking for something where I don’t need to worry about timing belt or headgasket replacement, whichis a concern on older Subaru’s.

What issues should I be on the lookout for when shopping for a 2002- 2006 CR-V?

Generally how many miles can one expect to get from a CR-V before significant mechanical issues crop up?

Can I expect the part time AWD system to rival the Subaru symmetrical AWD system?

thank you, Steve

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
The CRV's AWD is no match to Subaru's AWD. For CRVs at 100k you need to have the valves adjusted, check timing chain for wear and if driven in the north check the under side for rust damage.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Crv is NOT AWD, its automatic 4we nothing more. Cannot compare to Subaru all wheel drive.

Not far off on what to look at. As long as it has been cared for expect to have the valve lash adjusted unless seller has a recent record of it.

Timing chain only if oil changes haven't been done religiously (can check when doing lash adjustment).

As for rust, if you dont live in the south it's going to have rust, which unlike above thinks is normal, rust on a 15+ year old vehicle underneath is normal. Hell 3yr old vehicles have surface rust on any exposed bolts and such. Not something to be terribly concerned with unless there are rust holes (not the normal holes are rusty)

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
2,210 Posts
Welcome to the forum! I looked far and wide for a year here for an 05 or 06 with a manual trans, but no luck. People here just keep 'em. Wound up with an 07 AWD AT. I like it but I really wanted a manual. Oh, well. Keep us posted, and let us know what you bring home.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts