Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found a 2000 that seems decent, but its the AWD model and I was thinking about the FWD since I felt it would do better on MPG. Maybe not? What do the owners find the difference in MPG is for the two models? Does the additional weight and complexity cause any issues (repairs and high cost?). Any known weakness for the 2000 model? Thanks, george in NC

·
Registered
772 Posts
George, concerning AWD vs FWD, and gas mileage, I don't think there would be little difference if any, sice the AWD is not activated unless there is slippage in the FWD. If your concerned about buying a 2000 model, it depends as with any model, how the car has been maintained. A ONE OWNER is a plus. Our 1997 just turned 214,000 miles, and has the original engine, auto transmission, and the AWD is the original one. The a/c is ice cold and what a great vehile, always ready to go. Good luck, JMHO.
David g.

PS, if you cannot get receipt showing when the TIMING BELT KIT has been changed, plan on doing that ist thing when you get it, and all the belt's, you won't be sorry.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
9,538 Posts
EPA difference between FWD and AWD versions was about 1 MPG back then.

The Honda "Real Time AWD" system was one of the most fuel-efficient of it's time. The decrease in MPG was only due to carrying the weight of the driveshaft, rear diff, and rear axles. About 115 pounds IIRC.

Extra maintenance is periodic diff fluid replacement. Sometimes the driveshaft u-joints need replacement (causes vibration).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts