Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I love these forums....much easier to find information and extremely helpful (I'm a member of a few Tacoma boards). It's hard to believe but my son is approaching driving age and I'm in the market for a CR-V, Matrix, or Rav4 for him. I found a one owner 2002 LX with about 93K miles on it. I'm doing my research and it would appear (at least edmunds, msn, kbb) that it's a solid vehicle (both safety wise and reliability).

Already called my insurance and it is affordable placing him on our policy with him on that vehicle. Our new MDX and my boosted Tacoma are not happening and my insurance company suggested "a safe, older vehicle" for him to drive. Thus, the 2002 CR-V and I also found a Matrix XR AWD with under 100K miles as well.

I've already cruised through posts here and I'm not seeing anything glaring (as compared to the RAV4) that I should be aware of. I would greatly appreciate if anyone would have any further insight to the 2002 AWD. The price is in the 7K range which is just about the max I want to spend on this. It will be shared with his brother in a year as well....

Thank you in adavnce,
Scott

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
this is the 1st gen that uses the K24 engine that uses timing chain. Just be sure you change the oil on time as the engine oil lubricates the timing chain. How is the a/c? If you decide to get it , there are a few things you need to do. Most importantly valve lash adjustment. Matrix is also a good choice the only thing I am not fond of the Matrix AWD is the suspension its on the hard side. Is the Matrix AWD a FULL TIME 4 wheel Drive? How about the insurance for the Matrix. Let me know.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts