Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to buy a 2004 LX with 145K miles, automatic, AWD, asking price is $6K. It looks like a clean car, well maintained with no rust. I live in upstate NY. I'd like to hear opinions from CR-V owners:

1. What's a fair price for this car?
2. Any common problems for this year CR-V that I should look out for? I am going to see the car today and will go through a typical checklist for general problem.
3. On my other Honda's ('04 Odyssey, '96 Accord) I would chack for timing belt replacement but it looks like the CR-V has a chain which doe not require replacement.

Thank for your advice!

·
Registered
171 Posts
For pricing, you can go to kbb.com which will give you a too high price and edmunds.com which will give you a more realistic price. The air-co compressor on these are known to have a high probability for failing so if the one in that CRV has been replaced, that would be a bonus.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good call on the a/c compressor! Turns out the a/c is not currently working, the compressor was replace a few years ago. Service records show the a/c being recharged ever couple of years. I'm having my mechanic check the car out soon. Price was reduced to $4900. If it needs another compressor I may back out of the deal. I'm thinking a compressor replacement will be over $1000.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Does this failed air compressor effect anything other than the Air Conditioning?

Also what's the cause of them repeatedly going bad?

I'm currently on the hunt for a 2002-04.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I too am looking for a 2nd Gen CR-V. From my research, I've read that the internals of the compressor "shatter" into little pieces, and some of these pieces wind up traveling down stream into other climate control components. So, often when the compressor fails and is simply replaced, down the road those little pieces make there way back to the new compressor and cause another failure. I've read that when the compressor is replaced, you need to have other hoses and things cleaned out or replaced. I'm no mechanic, just what I've read. Hope this helps.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts