Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We currently have the 1st Gen CR-V 2001 EX 4WD, purchased used in 2009 @107K miles..
Currently its @139K miles and still going strong.. despite getting rear ended twice.

We are thinking of adding either a 3rd or 4th gen CR-V, to designate it as the newest-most reliable car in the Family.(wife will be daily driving it)
when we bought the 2001, it was the last year of the 1st Gen, meaning all the "bugs", recalls, TSB, etc2 of the 1997-2000 has been dealt with..
hence now we are thinking of the 2010 or 2011 for the same reason.

today we went to a dealer to see a Tango Red 2011 AWD EX-L and comparing it side by side with a White 2012 EX non leather.
look wise, my wife prefer the new 2012..(weird, eh? as 3rd Gen seemed to be very popular with females)
she also think the passenger and cargo is larger on the 2012.
I like the interior of the 2011 better, due to the old-style cluster, but don't particularly like the mid-tray in between the cargo.

the CR-Vs we are looking at is a 2010 EX-L with less than 60K miles.. and 2012 EX with less than 30K miles.

any thoughts regarding the reliability issues for the last year of 3rd Gen vs first year of 4th Gen?

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
If in the USA, they are autos. And based on the OP's wording in his post I say they gotta be in the USA.

All 10-11 here are a 5spd auto. Not sure if the went CVT in 12 or not.

·
Registered
868 Posts
I like the interior of the 2011 better, due to the old-style cluster, but don't particularly like the mid-tray in between the cargo.

any thoughts regarding the reliability issues for the last year of 3rd Gen vs first year of 4th Gen?
'Mid-tray in between cargo.' Not sure what you mean. Are you referring to the two level cargo shelf?

Gen 3 or Gen 4. Both excellent. Get the one you like better. Gen 4 have more features.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thx for all the input! :)
yes, this is for the USDM CR-V, so it will only be Automatic Transmission.

Mid-tray = Two level cargo shelf on the 3rd Gen...

currently, there are 8 CR-V in my neighborhood, 3 third gen, 4 fourth gen.. and 1 first Gen (mine). LoL

·
Registered
2013 CRV EX FWD
2,878 Posts
I'd say get the 4th gen. We absolutely love ours.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Both are very good. I doubt if there is any difference in engine HP / torque and transmission between 2010/11 and 2012. The change happened only with the 2015 !
Just the exterior and interior changes ... go with the one you like more. They are both very reliable.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
If living in the North, (I used to, Minnesota), the heated leather is nice for the winter months. The heated seats I do believe also add heated exterior mirrors as well.

If in a hot climate, (southern AZ now), cloth is a much better choice as you dont receive 3rd and 4th degree burns when you get in on a hot summers day wearing shorts.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Thx for all the input! :)
yes, this is for the USDM CR-V, so it will only be Automatic Transmission.

Mid-tray = Two level cargo shelf on the 3rd Gen...

currently, there are 8 CR-V in my neighborhood, 3 third gen, 4 fourth gen.. and 1 first Gen (mine). LoL
I have a 2011. Am a big fan of the 2 level cargo shelf. Huge fan. Also really like the upper glove box. Use the rear 12v outlet often.

On the other hand, Gen 4's have the rear camera. Fog lights. Different styling. Get the one you like best,

·
Registered
2 Posts
I was shopping too for a few weeks. Looked at an 11, 12 and even an 07. In PA, if the price is right, the CRV is probably already sold by the time you read the ad. Anyway, dealers were asking as much for loaded up 11s as they were 12s. I wanted the best gas mileage I could get, and couldn't spring for the new one w the CVT, so I picked up a 13 EXL Certified w 50,000 miles below market value Was a one owner lease turn in. Coming from an 06 Accord EX-L, this thing has everything I have been accustomed to and more. I came really close to getting a Certified 11 EX-L, but the dealer wouldn't budge on price. So I got the 13 for the same price as the other dealer was asking for an 11; however, it took a lot of Internet shopping and phone calls, Last Monday I just happened to be in right place at right time, and ready to buy. Love the vehicle so far (after 3 days).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
:) we ended up with a one owner 2008 EX-L, 55K miles...
while it's not the facelifted 3rd Gen, we simply couldn't pass the deal.
it's true that if the price is right, the CRV is snatched within seconds in PA.. but this one is just meant to be for us, even there are other buyers..

Patience is the key, and also the fact that when buying from private sellers, communications are important ;)
he could opt to sell it to the highest offer.. but instead took our offer, lowering the price a bit to cover for a new set of winter tires.
so far we're happy.

·
Registered
2013 CRV EX FWD
2,878 Posts
:) we ended up with a one owner 2008 EX-L, 55K miles...
while it's not the facelifted 3rd Gen, we simply couldn't pass the deal.
it's true that if the price is right, the CRV is snatched within seconds in PA.. but this one is just meant to be for us, even there are other buyers..

Patience is the key, and also the fact that when buying from private sellers, communications are important ;)
he could opt to sell it to the highest offer.. but instead took our offer, lowering the price a bit to cover for a new set of winter tires.
so far we're happy.
Congrats on the pruchase. Let's see some pics of it when you get a chance.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts