Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2020 EX-L AWD
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was here years ago because I really wanted a new CRV. That was when the oil dilution issue first hit. I also had a 2013 Accord Sport that had the CVT and is was HORRIBLE. I ended up selling it and buying a new 2018 Hyundai Tucson Limited 1.6T. I am again looking at the CRV. I read through the forums and see some new issues but not much about some of the older issues.
Did they solve the oil dilution issue for 2020? How are the CVT's compared to the originals like my Accord had? Any other issues I should be concerned about? I want a CRV but would also settle for a nice CPO Passport but would rather have the fuel mileage of the CRV

·
Registered
35 Posts
Just purchased 20 EX and find it a great car so far. Upgraded the tires to Michelin Defenders right away which made a difference. The 1.5 is the only engine choice on all trims so I think Honda is confident of it's choice. My only complaint at this point is the shifter seems a bit cheap in it's construction but this is a sub 30k car. The AC is adequate but nothing special. Pluses are the engine is refined and quiet except for full throttle, the seats are comfy, ride is great and the car is quiet on the highway with almost no wind noise. The CVT seems fine with no shift points noticeable. The Hybrid I drove I really liked bit the finance options where limited

·
Registered
2020 EX-L AWD
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just purchased 20 EX and find it a great car so far. Upgraded the tires to Michelin Defenders right away which made a difference. The 1.5 is the only engine choice on all trims so I think Honda is confident of it's choice. My only complaint at this point is the shifter seems a bit cheap in it's construction but this is a sub 30k car. The AC is adequate but nothing special. Pluses are the engine is refined and quiet except for full throttle, the seats are comfy, ride is great and the car is quiet on the highway with almost no wind noise. The CVT seems fine with no shift points noticeable. The Hybrid I drove I really liked bit the finance options where limited
Yea my biggest thing is the oil dilution. I have not seen those with 19-20's complaining about it so wondering if it's fixed. My Tuscon has it's own set of issues with the DCT so I do not want to jump out of the frying pan into the fire. At least with my Tucson I have the 10yr 100K warranty but I do not like the issues/traits of this DCT

·
Registered
2019 CR-V EX
489 Posts
Oil Dilution was mainly an issue in colder states for 2017s and 2018s driving short trips which did not give the engine adequate time to warm up. I've got a 2019 EX with no issues there. A programming fix was added for those that had the issue and it's been used in all models since (2019 & 2020).

This CVT is being called the best around. I'm happy with it.

·
Registered
2020 EX-L AWD
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oil Dilution was mainly an issue in colder states for 2017s and 2018s driving short trips which did not give the engine adequate time to warm up. I've got a 2019 EX with no issues there. A programming fix was added for those that had the issue and it's been used in all models since (2019 & 2020).

This CVT is being called the best around. I'm happy with it.
I do live in a colder state (Delaware). I read here you have to do fluid and filter change every 25K miles or so and I am fine with that if that's what it takes to be problem free. My 2013 Accord CVT was horrible which is why I sold the car. It had me scared of the CVT. Does not look like they really deal much on price with the Honda's. Dealerships around me are loaded with at least 100 CR-V's each. I am looking at getting a EX-L AWD

·
Registered
35 Posts
Look at the DIY on this site for CVT change. It is easy as a oil change but the CVT fluid is more expensive and like I said Honda would not of made the 1.5 standard across the line if they did not think it was solid. I think I read the CRV accounts for 60 percent of all Honda sales so I don't think they would like to screw with that.

·
Registered
2019 CR-V EX
489 Posts
I do live in a colder state (Delaware). I read here you have to do fluid and filter change every 25K miles or so and I am fine with that if that's what it takes to be problem free. My 2013 Accord CVT was horrible which is why I sold the car. It had me scared of the CVT. Does not look like they really deal much on price with the Honda's. Dealerships around me are loaded with at least 100 CR-V's each. I am looking at getting a EX-L AWD
I suggest that you test drive one or drive a friend's. You can always walk away if it doesn't feel right.

·
Registered
733 Posts
What is a DCT? BTW, how do you like the Tuscon? On the short list for wife's RAV4 replacement in the fall.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just bought one today ... EX-L .. Platinum White with Ivory Interior .. This is for my daughter .. rides great so far :)

·
Registered
2020 EX-L AWD
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What is a DCT? BTW, how do you like the Tuscon? On the short list for wife's RAV4 replacement in the fall.
Dual Clutch Transmission. It is a manual transmission that shifts automatically. Very jerky with unpredictable hesitation. Can be really scary merging into traffic. Sometimes you hit the gas and there is a few second delay or it revs and goes nowhere. AND this is normal for the DCT. They stopped putting them in the Tucson's in 2019 so the new ones don't have it. Mine is a loaded up Limited AWD. It actually is not that good on gas (23 mpg combined) My wife has a new Santa Fe turbo AWD and hers gets at least 5mpg better and it is a bigger car. Don't get me wrong, the Tucson is really nice but I am getting tired of the quirky transmission (DCT)

·
Registered
486 Posts
Yea my biggest thing is the oil dilution. I have not seen those with 19-20's complaining about it so wondering if it's fixed. My Tuscon has it's own set of issues with the DCT so I do not want to jump out of the frying pan into the fire. At least with my Tucson I have the 10yr 100K warranty but I do not like the issues/traits of this DCT
Have you considered a lease? Might solve all your concerns.

·
Super Moderator
1,938 Posts
Dual Clutch Transmission. It is a manual transmission that shifts automatically. Very jerky with unpredictable hesitation. Can be really scary merging into traffic. Sometimes you hit the gas and there is a few second delay or it revs and goes nowhere. AND this is normal for the DCT. They stopped putting them in the Tucson's in 2019 so the new ones don't have it. Mine is a loaded up Limited AWD. It actually is not that good on gas (23 mpg combined) My wife has a new Santa Fe turbo AWD and hers gets at least 5mpg better and it is a bigger car. Don't get me wrong, the Tucson is really nice but I am getting tired of the quirky transmission (DCT)
Were you part of the class action law suit over the Hyundai's DCTs? Many buyers who traded in their Tucsons got/or are getting, big bucks.

·
Registered
2020 EX-L AWD
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Were you part of the class action law suit over the Hyundai's DCTs? Many buyers who traded in there Tucsons got/or are getting, big bucks.
Only the 2016's. The suit did not include the 2018's. Also don't believe that the owners got much for their issues. I am a member of many Tucson forums and they only got a small allowance towards a trade in.

·
Super Moderator
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,065 Posts
Moving to Shopping & Test Driving section.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I was here years ago because I really wanted a new CRV. That was when the oil dilution issue first hit. I also had a 2013 Accord Sport that had the CVT and is was HORRIBLE. I ended up selling it and buying a new 2018 Hyundai Tucson Limited 1.6T. I am again looking at the CRV. I read through the forums and see some new issues but not much about some of the older issues.
Did they solve the oil dilution issue for 2020? How are the CVT's compared to the originals like my Accord had? Any other issues I should be concerned about? I want a CRV but would also settle for a nice CPO Passport but would rather have the fuel mileage of the CRV
I had a 2014 Honda Accord EXL CVT and I loved it......other than the the CVT, which I simply don't like in any vehicle. Did you have bad luck with your 2013 Accord Sport?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Have a 2020 CRV LX. No issues with engine BUT a rattling sound in under carriage was diagnosed as bad Transmission Mount. Now on back order.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just bought a 2020 CR-V EX-L for the wife today. We used the Costco program - works great. We traded in her 2012 Toyota Camry and received a $750 Honda incentive. Costco program is the way to go. Just had to dicker a bit on the price of the trade in.

I have a 2018 CR-V I bought new so I am well aware of the oil dilution problem. My car as not had this problem, knock on wood. I change the oil every 6 months to be safe and this costs about $30 done by the dealer. Can't beat that price.

I believe Honda has fixed the oil dilution problem. We looked at Hyundai Tuscon, Toyota Rav4 and Mazda CX-5 but selected the Honda.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts